P-47D "The TurtleNo.10" G9*K, s/n 229147 markings in 32nd?

bdthoresen

Hello All. I am wondering if anyone out there know of any 32nd scale markings produced for P-47D "The Turtle No. 10", G9*K, s/n 229147, 9th Airforce, 405th FG, 509 FS were ever produced? A mate of mine recently suggested a "Nostalgia Groupbuild", where one has to try and recreate a model from their childhood. I had built the 48th scale Monogram issue of this particualar aircraft circa about 1984, and have been desperate to try and find decals for it. Now, I no longer build in 48th, but, I have an old Revell 32nd scale P-47D, with a ton of Jerry's resin for it that I will use in the Monogram kit's stead. But I will try and outfit the build as I had built the original, with belly tank and 1000 pound bombs on the wing pylons. But this time, there will not be any glue prints on the canopy, or Pactra silver paint that never quite dried!

If there are no decals to be found, does anyone have some decent profiles of here so I might be able to get Ian from AdAstra to make me some masks? I cannot find any decent ones on the web...mostly built model shots.....

Thanks to any and all help or insight.....

Thor

Never seen any decals in 1/32 for that one. I do remember the 1/48 Monogram kit with those markings though. Come to think of it, I've never seen any photographs of that aircraft either. Was it a real aircraft or did Monogram use a bit of "Artistic License" with their decal sheet?

Answered my own question.... It was a real aircraft.

Edited by TimC

Thanks for the replies, fellas. It would appear that this aircraft is a bit of a mystery. I do know the actual serial number is 42-29147, coded G9*K, flown by Lt. Charles Dooney. There are two pictures of his Malcolm hooded razorback out there on the ol' web, Turtle No.9, but none of the later machine. It would appear that the aircraft was lost in combat, Dec. 29th, 1944, with the pilot, Lt. John R. Dyer KIA due to flak.....

I cannot seem to find any photos of this machine on the web. I am sure there must be something out there in books regarding the aircraft. Even the 405th dedicated websites do not show photos of her. Maybe Monogram based there markings on the previous aircraft?

Might have to head over to the P-47D SIG to see if there is more out there.....

Thanks Again, guys. And Kev, that build is really neat. Brings back some fond memories!

THOR