Illini Dave

Tamiya P-51D asTuskegee Airman - questions

I want to build the Tamiya 1/32 P-51D as one of the Tuskegee Airman's planes. Were these "early" or "late" I'd like to buy some of the Eduard upgrades and want to get the correct ones.

I did find some Warbird decals, are there others?

Any other AM goodies I should consider?

Thanks for any ideas, and Merry Christmas

:help:

:post1: most of what you ask, i can't help with. But check the decals. I have one of their sets, as nice as they are, are for the "B/C" models. Check with the seller( if Ebay) and be sure they are for the "D" model. IIRC, they didn't make any for the "D:, but I could be wrong. Also, you could go with Ad Astra masks. He is here on LSP, and like many, I can tell you they are fantastic.....Harv :thumbsup: Edited by Guest

In the Osprey book "332nd Fighter Group - Tuskegee Airmen", all of the color plates of "D's" (that could be identified with serial numbers) were P-51D "-15" series. The two aircraft identified as such were "Lollipoop II" and "Duchess Arlene". It would not be wrong to assume the others were also -15's unless someone has better info. The -15 can be made out of the box as there are very few external differences. All of the "D"s they flew, according to the profiles book, have the tail fillets.

HTH,

Kurt

So, the Eduard "early" sets say they are for serial no.s 5-15 are these the "series" used for the tail numbers? Is that the right term? Is there really a significant difference? The most obvious thing is the tail fillet, which I assumed came with "late" versions, but maybe not that late.

I would think Eduard means D-5 through D-15 as I don't think there are many detail differences between them. The 'late' P-51D's could mean very late to post-war with antennae and cockpit differences, as well as the cowl perforated panel? I haven't seen the Eduard sets, so a bit of a guess...

Oh, and I believe only D-5 aircraft were missing the tail fillet, but many were retro-fitted with it later.

Guest TimC

Gentlemen: There are some minute yet significant differences between the P-51D-5's and the P-51D-15's. As far as the fin fillet goes, there was more than one type; Tamiya choosing the later, more squared version. There were only a comparative few P-51D-5's that did not have the fin fillet. Here's our very own Tourist (resident Mustang Expert), with an inbox review of the Mustang kit. You'll see that what you get in the box is a hodgepodge of blocks. The P-51 Special Interest Group has some rather extensive data on the differences between the various blocks of P-51D's (as well as the earlier models). I will say that I've learned quite a bit from reading what these guys write and the factory/AAF data they post. Prior to P-51D-20, the Mustang was not delivered from the factory with the K-14 gunsight. Having said that, it is possible that earlier aircraft were retrofitted in the field with the "ace maker" gunsight. Check your references.

Personally, I would go with whatever is installed from the factory with a D-15. Given the "hand-me-down" status of this group, I would not assume anything else other than what you can confirm with pictures. Getting the basic airframe (ie a D-15) from pictures is probably as close as you are going to get unless someone has better info. You might try contacting the Tuskegee museum for more precise information on the plane/pilot you are modeling. The story of that group, however, is not the planes...it is the struggle of the men who trained, flew and maintained them just to get into combat. If the cockpit and gun sight are not exactly right I doubt anyone would notice or care. (shields up!).

I have built a couple of their "C"'s in 1/48 and found the model itself anticlimactic after reading the books.

Kurt