LSP kit of the year 2011

Guest Hunter

Why bother.... Tamiya P-51 is going to win it by a mile!

Yeah prob right. Its a lovely kit for sure. I thought that Raiden from Hasegawa was pretty amazing and WNW also brought out some corker kits this year. They're all so nice but a great Mustang has long been neeed. Still looking forward to the ZM release though.

Cheers Matty

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah ... its a given that Tamiya's P-51D is going to place highly, we all shouted for long enough for it :)

But there have been some other great releases too, as mentioned Revell do us proud for value for money, but it would be nice to vote and not have a foregone conclusion as that would be the traditional end of year LSP's poll out of the door, I know the mods are working to keep the tradition, and that's great.

I was surprised at last years winners, but that just goes to show a minority can win our hearts.

I do feel Trumpeter are getting better each year in this scale.

Maybe some after market awards too? ... its just a bit of fun at the end of the day though.

WNW Fe2b. Unique subject for the scale, brilliantly designed so anyone can put it together, (rigging might be another matter of course), fabulously packaged and presented, properly researched, a really rewarding and challenging kit to build, and it looks freaking awesome when it is done. Mustangs, 109s and Spitfires are two a penny. This is something really SPECIAL!!!!

Tim Perry

Edited by wunwinglow

There is no reason to give the Tamiya P-51D a "Special" award just to give KotY to another. The Tamiya P-51 is hands down the 2011 KotY. Though there were some really nice kits produced this past year that under normal circumstances, would contend for the win, but not one raised the bar like the Tamiya kit did....it's really that simple imho.

And isn't that what being the KotY all about? About being the best?

Maybe some after market awards too? ... its just a bit of fun at the end of the day though.

Yep, and I'm determined that that 'bit of fun' isn't going to create any more work for me than I already have. Extending it this way and that, adding awards and categories - I'd much rather devote my meagre time to keeping the updates coming and continuing to work on the website upgrade (which is a long way from done). As it is I need to find the time to get the poll up as it stands now (which will require some mods to the LSP Kit Database to allow us to easily pick out all the kits released this year...which in turn will require some work to make sure we even captured them all (I don't think we did). There's also a forum upgrade that needs to be done before my holiday break ends (look out for a separate announcement about that).

And isn't that what being the KotY all about? About being the best?

Not necessarily. As Hunter mentioned, it's just a bit of fun, and as such we leave it up to the individual to determine how they define 'best' (with 'value for money' being an important determinant for some folks). There's no framework for how to judge a kit. Heck, I've never even seen most of these kits in the flesh myself, so I'm going to have to base my opinions on what I've seen on the Internet, mostly. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Kev

Here's a bit of silliness... In order to "vote" you must actually own the kit, have opened the box and all the sprue bags, read the instructions cover to cover three times and have posted something at LSP at least once a month in each of the past 12 months. Once the votes are counted, count up the number of previously produced kits (by other manufacturers) of the same model and same scale - divide the vote total by that number. Then divide the vote total by the manufacturer's retail price (in soft US dollars) to arrive at the final score...then toss it all in the trash and get back to your workbenches!

Edited by OldTroll

Ghostly writing:

.....but not one raised the bar like the Tamiya kit did

Sorry mate. Aside from any feelings one may have regarding a particular airframe, WNW has set the bar for other companies to follow; Tamiya a close second, but second nonetheless.

Ghostly writing:

Sorry mate. Aside from any feelings one may have regarding a particular airframe, WNW has set the bar for other companies to follow; Tamiya a close second, but second nonetheless.

Apples and oranges my freind....or in this case, comparing a well equipped Ford Focus (WNW) to a Maybach 62 (Tamiya P-51)....sure you get a better value for your money with the Ford but the class of the two cars resides in the Maybach.

Guest Hunter

To throw more fun into the mix ...

WnW stole the 1/32 Oscars last year, traditionally Speilberg or Cameron don't get the (people awards read Tamiya Mustang) because some obscure lesser film is deemed better by the Academy as more worthy ... Hurt Locker <--- pretentious claptrap IMHO, like it or loathe it, Avatar was far superior in every aspect ... sometimes we just go for the underdog ... and that's good too.

I'm not saying the WnW Gotha last year was the Underdog, but what percentage voted for it actually owned it? I have a hard time believing it was also the best selling 1/32 kit of last year?

And I'm not knocking WnW either, I've got one of their masterpieces in the stash and hope to add more .. if only Tamiya could produce as much per year quality wise as WmW do.

We are truly spoilt, and the mods are right to keep the poll simple, it could get more complex, but where would it end, awards for underdogs, awards for quality, awards for best fit, awards for accuracy, awards for value for money?

Vote with your heart, that's what its all about .. and if WnW do it over Tamiya again this year, then that's the way of our hearts ... but please don't stop the poll over perceived outright winners :)

Just keep the formula the same as other years ... please admin's ... for sure, if it is stopped this year it will be perceived because the Tamiya P-51D was the clear winner and there is not much point after that, but even though the Oscars are loved and loathed by most, it still plunders on ... next year might have more good and worthy world wide acceptance winners ... who knows?

At the end of the day, its just a bit of fun.

Edited by Hunter