Fw190D-9 - Hasegawa 1/32

BlackDog

Chris,

For u'er first time,u got it more than right for using that method of the pastel wash and the scrappings and rubbing them into the panel lines.I wouldn't worry about the clear coat layer problems u think u might have.Two or three coats of clear and a final coat of flat will do the trick.But u have it covered for the wearthering of u'er bucther bird.Larry

Hi all,

not a big step today, even after several hours work since last post... Lengthy process !

I did apply a few more stencils & markings, some with EagleCals EC#60, and some others from Dora dry transfers (HobbyDecal). Then, I did apply a dark grey oil wash (heavily thinned in lighter fuel) on left fuselage flank and tail, which I did wipe out thoroughly with a clean rag and for some very light colored parts, with a rag dampened in thinner, so that only recessed lines and rivet holes were left with dark wash.

190D9-82.jpg

190D9-83.jpg

Note on this :

- A few recessed lines will be cleaned again so that lines are not too darkly contrasted

- A big work session with pastels powders will be done later to enhance the weathering

- The long cockpit decking behind seat is not yet glued to fuselage

First, I need to apply the same wash on right fuselage flank and on some parts of wings upper sides.

Regards,

Chris

Hi all,

next step : left fuselage side has been enhanced with some more pastel powder (dark gray), in order to display more or less some structural lines. Some careful rubbing with MicroMesh 8000 was done to smooth all and to better show a few rivet lines. Then, all was airbrushed with a flat clear coat (Aircraft Colors) and canopy mobile part was unmasked.

I will not unmask windscreen right now, I still need to weather right fuselage side before that.

190D9-84.jpg

Then I will also need to add engine exhausts stains.

Chris,

very nice! Can´t wait to see the bird finished...

Do you know yet what your next project will be?

Cheers

Thanks Chris :)

My next project ? well, something relaxing and that should not take me several months to finish :blink:

This one :

porcorosso04_800.JPG

This is a Savoia S-21 (real Italian factory in 1920-30 but plane is fictional) from Japanese animation movie Porco Rosso. Scale is 1/72 (FineMolds), it would NOT qualify me to post here ;) quite small... Should be pretty with the red shiny paint, huge italian markings and yellow/orange underbelly...

Hi all,

some thoughts about 'realism' of some parts : A long talking was done on another modeler forum about rivets look... On the few know pictures of Dortenmann plane, as well as on other planes pictures, it is fairly easy to see many rivets, darker than overall color of surfaces... However, some rivets lines show a lighter color around the rivet, probably some type of chipped paint around the rivet head, most notably in darker (RLM82/83) colors (on the picture below, look near the 'Black 1' marking. Another wider picture show several other rivet lines like this).

This picture is from www.rlm.at web site :

gal23_012.jpg

I did reproduce such effect by pure random luck, while rubbing the paint with MicroMesh (easy to understand : some rivet holes were not perfectly sanded, so a small bulge was still around the rivet hole, and the paint on this bulge was slightly removed by MicroMesh). Visual effect is less visible than on some wartime pictures but still nice to look at...

190D9-85.jpg

Model!!!?........WHAT THE!

Seriously, this is some fine weathering, something that i think is the real skill in model making, as it makes the difference between a 'MODEL' and Scale Replica.

Just hurry up and get it finished, it's killing me!!

Sav.

Thanks Chris, Sav for your messages.

Here are two pics of the current state of my Dora. Several new small details, but no large step since last pics :

190D9-full.jpg

190D9-top.jpg

Propeller spinner should still be weathered, as well as left side of rudder.

I have started painting work of undercarriage struts. More about it tomorrow.

Chris

Thanks all for your kind replies ;)

Here is a new pic :

Work from yesterday evening :

190D9-86.jpg

Markings are decals froms EagleCals EC#60, paint is Gunze RLM02, with a wash of dark brown oil, no clear coat yet. I still need to enhance/lighten a few details and to add the (MDC) braided hose that connect the brake wire to the wheels.