Fw190D-9 - Hasegawa 1/32

BlackDog

A BIG THANK YOU to all of you for your replies :blink:

Weeee I can breathe again... It is (almost) ok now :

Area to repair have been carefully masked, then I did sand and polish all the stains and damaged paint, until I get a very smooth and clean surface.

190D9-95.jpg

Then I airbrushed again the colors and did a slight pos-shading (panel centers, darkening of edges and lines).

I still need to finish with a small wash in lines and rivets, then I will be able to restart what is left to be done until this bird is finished...

Chris

Hey Chris,

I like the effect that the sanding/polishing has left, not for where it is, but for the effect it has left.I imagine this would be a pretty good interpretation of heavily worn paint on the wing root of a well used aircraft. It's good to see the that the damage is is nothing too serious.

Sav

Ok, let's start again with new steps :

I finished the 'door' from the (MW50) refueling trap located behind cockpit (styrene sheet and rod, copper wire). The picture below displays this door (internal side) on the left wing. One can see the closing mechanism, and the small chaining that was linked to fuselage.

190D9-96.jpg

Large view showing the refueling trap and door. Some rivets have been chipped from paint on the door, and the closing knob with red lines displaying the closing position. The yellow triangle displaying the fuel type is alson painted on the trap, which is quite unusual (it is outside the trap usually).

Note : I still need to repaint a few paint chips on the canopy clear part (bottom side), a few areas are showing base primer color.

190D9-97.jpg

Another large view showing engine exhausts stains on left side.. I will still work it a bit later.

190D9-98.jpg

And last, another view, right flank, to show exhaust stains on this side. Those are less wide, as exhausts have a small metal ba above them, bloking exhaust fumes from getting inside the air cooler entry. I will probably add a bit more stains on this side to get the same effect as left side.

Note : yellow cowling parts are not yet dark washed.

190D9-99.jpg

Thanks guys,

one last pic before going to bed :

I carved holes inside the engine exhausts from the kit... Half of them up to now, it's quite long and tedious, even if not too difficult...

190D9-100.jpg

I could have buy Moskit exhausts (very expensive) or MDC resin ones, but I did choose to try to carve the kit exhausts first. It works :rolleyes:

Blackdog...

I'd just like to say I'm insanely jealous of this model and your talents

there's no justice in the world! ;)

I love the fuel filler door idea! very neat. its small details like this that make the whole thing work as a replica. Dont forget the canopy sliders that allow the hood to 'jump the rails'...

cheers

Tony

I love the fuel filler door idea! very neat. its small details like this that make the whole thing work as a replica. Dont forget the canopy sliders that allow the hood to 'jump the rails'...

Thanks for your replies, guys ;)

Tony, do you have any info/picture/drawing about the canopy sliders ? I don't have good info about it.

Regards,

Chris

To answer some questions, here are a few explanations about method to drill out the exhausts :

The part before start of work, on foremost exhaust (other one is already drilled out) :

190D9-101a.jpg

With a small drill inserted in a pin vise, you must drill out 3 small holes in the plastic parts, at equal range, while being careful not to damage the side of the exhaust.

190D9-101b.jpg

For next step I am using an electric motor-powered tool with a small triangular drilling head... It is also entirely possible to do it without a motor tool, using the sharp end of a new scalpel blade, and being cutious to avoid damage part or fingers...

190D9-101c.jpg

I did use the drilling head on each hole, moving lateraly to open plastic between the holes... Then I move slightly the drilling head on the larger hole created to even out the side... It takes some time to get a nice and clean result (still need some work on the part on picture).

190D9-101d.jpg

Hi guys <_<

Here is current result on engine exhausts, that were glued to fuselage yesterday.

Exhausts were painted as follow :

- overall airbrush painting with Tamiya brown

- Very Dark brown oil wash on central seam line and opening, black oil wash inside openings

- several acrylic dry(brush : brown, light and dark tan, brown-red

Here is the result as well as stains on fuselage :

190D9-102.jpg

190D9-103.jpg