32nd scale P-51D dry transfer stencils

geedubelyer

Hello everyone,

I've seen that Hobbydecal offer a set of dry transfer data stencils for the P-51D in 1/32nd scale but they are currently showing out of stock. Does anyone know if there are any other manufacturers offering dry transfer stencils for the Mustang please?

Cheers,

Guy

Hi Guy,

White Ensign seem to be offering a selection of dry transfer stencils under the brand "Pontos Models".

They sure look like the Hobbydecal ones (even has Hobbydecal on the sheet)and they are showing P51 stencils here: https://www.whiteensignmodels.com/p/PontosModel+132+P51+Stencils+ver+1+PON32002s1/10390/

HTH

Phil

Edited by PhilB

Thanks guys, :speak_cool:

Hi Guy,

White Ensign seem to be offering a selection of dry transfer stencils under the brand "Pontos Models".

They sure look like the Hobbydecal ones (even has Hobbydecal on the sheet)and they are showing P51 stencils here: https://www.whiteensignmodels.com/p/PontosModel+132+P51+Stencils+ver+1+PON32002s1/10390/

HTH

Phil

Thanks for the link Phil. They certainly do look like the HobbyDecal ones. I might splash out on a set and see how they look.

Cheers,

Guy

• 2 years later...

Be wary of the Hobbydecal stencils.  The font for the stencils is not accurate nor are the fuel tank filler data stencils.  There are probably other errors/omissions on the sheet that I'm not even aware of.  I have the Fundekals P-51 stencils and will most likely use those instead of the Hobbydecal dry transfers.  Having said that, If anyone wants my Hobbydecal dry transfer data sheet, I'll gladly part with it for what I paid for it plus shipping.

They're not great, I occasionally get them custom made for various projects and sometimes the amount of glue on the back can be variable and their ability to be rubbed down off the backing sheet is also variable, especially on uneven surfaces which can be a nightmare.

They are particularly prone to ageing which accentuates the problems outlined above. I recently used some for a large scale garden railway carriage and these were crests which I rubbed down onto a gloss surface and then lacquered in clear to seal them in, but I noticed recently that they have bubbled up slightly, so will have to be replaced with some water slide ones which I now have.

In a way this process is a throwback to the pre-computer days when Letraset was king for adding bold fonts etc onto artwork.

Graham.

Hey Guys, I've never used dry transfers before. What would be the advantage? Thanks

Chuck

The biggest plus is no carrier film. If done right ( both usage and manufacturing) They look painted on........Harv

They're not great, I occasionally get them custom made for various projects and sometimes the amount of glue on the back can be variable and their ability to be rubbed down off the backing sheet is also variable, especially on uneven surfaces which can be a nightmare.

They are particularly prone to ageing which accentuates the problems outlined above. I recently used some for a large scale garden railway carriage and these were crests which I rubbed down onto a gloss surface and then lacquered in clear to seal them in, but I noticed recently that they have bubbled up slightly, so will have to be replaced with some water slide ones which I now have.

In a way this process is a throwback to the pre-computer days when Letraset was king for adding bold fonts etc onto artwork.

Graham.

I would love to know where you get custom made dry transfers.