1/32 Tamiya Spitfire Mk VIII "Grey Nurse"

Anders_Isaksson

Hello all,

While I have been an LSP member for some years I have not yet gotten around to posting any WIP, but here goes.

It has been slow work on this one but the cockpit was finally completed last summer.

spitfireviii020.jpg

spitfireviii021.jpg

spitfireviii022.jpg

Spitmk8a.jpg

The kit cockpit was enhanced with the relevant resin bits from BarracudaCast, excellent stuff indeed! http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.gif

Hope to resume work on the main fuselage soon...

Edited by Anders_Isaksson

Oh c'mon Anders, this is no time to stop now. I've found that time at the bench has been hard to come by myself but we need to push on my friend. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get some building done myself today as there's a bunch of stuff I need to scratch-build on the engine of my Mk IX. I was actually hoping to get it finished before year's end but I'm beginning to think that it simply won't happen. Keep at it though and I look forward to seeing some more WIP posts from you.

Cheers,

Wolf

Harv, Wolf, Maru, Loic, Carl and Derek:

Many thanks for your encouraging replies and apologies for my belated response.

(Seems like the automatic email notification is not working for my topic.)

Not much to show for progress, but at least a little step forward has been taken. :)

spitfireviii023.jpg

A pair of fuel tank vents need to be added, me thinks.

Looks great so far.

Also, if you are interested, Ad Astra has made a set of masks for the GreyNurse markings. I have a set on order from Ian there. They'd re not on his website but drop him an email and he can send you the details.

Carl

Many thanks for the tip, Carl! I will investigate this ASAP.

• 2 years later...

Not sure why this build came to a halt but I hope to pick it up again soon. smile.gif

Ok... soon is about now, right?  :rolleyes:

Finally got this one back on the bench.

With the fuselage closed up I turned to the engine. This was sort of a speed build where I didn't spend an extra second on cleanup, so not much to see here.

1-P1010001.jpg

Too bad about Tamiya's excellent engineering and detail here but not much to do as I plan to have all panels in place in order to show off the sharkmouth.

Still, I figured most of the engine had to be included in the build to act as a point of reference for the exhaust stubs framework for the panels.

Thinking about wether to use a set of QB exhaust stubs or go with detailed and thinned out kit parts (as per Mr Buddee's impressive build).

Decisions, decisions...

1-P1010002.jpg

The styrene parts can of course be glued the usual way with plenty of time to get everything aligned, while the resin stubs probably will require messing about with slow drying epoxi to enable time for alignment - not an attractive proposition.  <_<

The basic airframe is taking shape, and as expected no problems have been encountered so far.

Wings only dry-fitted here.

1-P1010016.jpg

But I am wondering about the separate parts for the MG and cannon fairings, should these be faired in so the seamlines completely disappear?

My references does not really have a clear pic of the wing leading edge so I am a bit in the dark here.  :(

1-P1010017.jpg

The MG fairing has not been glued just yet, that is why it looks to be a bit off in the pic above.

Edited by Anders_Isaksson

But I am wondering about the separate parts for the MG and cannon fairings, should these be faired in so the seamlines completely disappear?

My references does not really have a clear pic of the wing leading edge so I am a bit in the dark here.  :(

1-P1010017.jpg

The MG fairing has not been glued just yet, that is why it looks to be a bit off in the pic above.

Looking good, Anders.

To answer your question, yes the MG and cannon fairings should be blended in with the wing. All to often I've seen otherwise excellent Tamiya Spitfires that have this seam showing.

The good news is that the rivets on the leading edge of the wing back to the spar (i.e. the panel line in line with the forward edges of the ammo covers) were filled and sanded smooth. You will not have to restore any rivet detail lost by filling the gun insert seams, but rather you can fill in the rivets forward of the spar.

Cheers,

Tony

Thanks and great input! :)

I will fill and sand those seam lines asap and crack on with construction.

Also, I remember now about part of the wing surfaces on real thing being filled and sanded smooth,

I will perhaps sand down these areas to reduce the rivet pattern somewhat, but I don't think I am prepared to completely eliminate the rivets.

Nice to see you back on this, love the Spitfire, could you have the gun fairings on the wrong wings?

I did a quick double-check and the pieces are in their correct slots, but from reading other WIPs it seems many have more or less problems with how they fit.

Good to know I am not alone here! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, things sure move fast on this forum as I noticed my WIP had slipped way back.  :lol:

Anyway, gun ports were filled and sanded...

P1010002.jpg

...but couldn't stop thinking about those rivets on the forward wing sections, so then I decided to mask off the area...

P1010004.jpg

...and apply a good coat of primer.

P1010008.jpg

I went with Vallejo as I think it is a tad thicker than my favourite Tamiya primer.

As soon as the paint has cured the plan is to sand down the primer until it only remains in the rivets, hopefully making them almost disappear.

Let's see how that works...  :)