ProModeler 1/48 Fw 190D-11

LSP_Kevin

Well, as if I really needed to start another model! However, this one should dovetail nicely with my current 1/32 D-11 conversion in the WiP forum. I may even race ahead with this one, just to see what the big fella should look like when it's done (kind of a model of a model, if you like). Besides, I'd really like to finish another model before 2011 closes out, and this one is the most likely.

Anyway, here's the obligatory box shot:

file.jpg

This one will be built pretty much straight out of the box, inaccuracies and all. Hopefully some progress shots in the next update.

Kev

Kev

One thing to watch on all the Trimaster/DML/Revell FW 190s is the undercarriage's stance. This CAN make a great difference to the finished article. Thankfully this matter is comprehensively covered by a two part feature over on Hyperscale.

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/fw190landinggear_1.htm

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/fw190landinggear_2.htm

Matt

Thanks Matt. I'm vaguely aware of the issue, but not sure if I can be bothered tackling it (I didn't for my previous build). We shall see!

I'm having a hard time believing at the moment that this kit is derived from that lineage, as it looks for all the world like a limited-run kit. Detail is soft, the edge of almost every part has some flash, the sprue gates are thick and clunky, and the thing is absolutely peppered with ejector pin marks. I must pull out my Dragon Dora kit for a quick comparison.

Kev

Well, finally some action on this one! I started by working on the cockpit simultaneously with that of its big brother:

file-2.jpg

file-1.jpg

The seat belts come from a Lion Roar PE set; I'll install the shoulder straps later in the build. I must say that one of the tips I picked up here that has made working with PE seat belts much less painful is to soften them over a flame first. This makes them much more malleable, and easier to fit into place and pose naturally.

The cockpit itself is pretty average. It differs markedly in detail from the Verlinden 1/32 example, and both differ markedly from my available references. I'm not an accuracy nut, so these things don't bother me overly - especially on this build! (I build most 1/48 models to be shelf-sitters and decal carriers.)

After the cockpit was done, things progressed rather quickly (one of the advantages of smaller scales):

file-3.jpg

Here you can see the relatively poor fit of the wheel bay part:

file-4.jpg

And the utterly ridiculous placement of the upper instrument panel:

file-5.jpg

I didn't take a close-up photo of it, but the upper cowling panel doesn't fit that well either. At least the scheme will be distractingly gaudy! Can I finish it before 2013 2012?

Kev

Edited by LSP_Kevin
What year is it again?

Kevin,

not to burst your bubble, but... you can't make a D-11 with this kit. There have been numerous discussions about this kit. do a search and you'll see.

Bruce

I realise it's not that accurate Bruce, but I'm not an accuracy nut, so it doesn't bother me much. I'm more perturbed by the poor state of the mouldings, which appear to be badly modified for this kit, and pretty well worn.

But off the top of my head, the inaccuracies that are obvious to me are:

- covered engine bay;

- inaccurate cockpit;

- missing extra 'bulges' around the engine;

- incorrect gun bay hatches for the MK108;

- missing MK108 barrels;

- missing MK108 shell ejection chutes;

- small D-9 specific bulges still in place on cowling;

- I think the landing gear retraction struts are wrong;

And probably a lot more!

Kev

Kev,

if you haven't glued the wing together I have an easy fix for the engine bay; http://partsrparts.homestead.com/Fw190.html

Bruce

Ah, bugger, all sealed up! Are they your parts Bruce? If so, I'm interested in some for my Dragon and Tamiya D-9 kits (too late for this one unfortunately).

Kev

Ah, bugger, all sealed up! Are they your parts Bruce? If so, I'm interested in some for my Dragon and Tamiya D-9 kits (too late for this one unfortunately).

Kev

yes, they are my parts.

Bruce

I have the Revell boxing of this one Kev and it's no better.

I didn't know there was a Revell boxing Brad! Make sense though, given the Revell/Monogram tie-in. The underwing gun panel inserts are particularly crudely done in my opinion. I checked out the sprues of this kit against its Dragon D-9 progeny, and the Dragon sprues are definitely crisper and better moulded.

Kev

OK folks, a bit of a token update today, just to prove that this build is still alive! Here's what it looks like at the moment:

file-6.jpg

Tail planes on, supercharger intake on, upper wings fitted, front cowling and flaps fitted, just about everything faired in. The fit of the cowling intake is terrible however, and still needs some more work:

file-7.jpg

Otherwise, it's just about ready for a coat of primer. Here's a curious thing though about this kit (and the Trimaster/Dragon ones from which it's derived), that I haven't seen on other Fw 190 kits - the tail planes are at a noticeable angle to the horizontal:

file-8.jpg

I'm supposing it's accurate, but I've never noticed it before.

Anyway, I still harbour ambitions to finish this before the New Year! Better get cracking...

Kev

Well, another rather boring update this one, but at least I'm inching forward with this build. Failed in my goal of getting it finished by the New Year of course, but I still should finish it before I go back to work on the 18th. Anyway, upper surfaces all in primer:

file-10.jpg

Lower surfaces dressed in Tamiya TS-26 Pure White:

file-9.jpg

I took the simple expedient of shooting it straight out of the rattle can, and it came out OK. Some of the surface detail has been partially obscured, but I'll either fix it or live with it.

Can anybody recommend an appropriate red for the undersides? I've only got Tamiya XF-7 Flat Red (which I think will be a little bright, especially over the gloss white), Humbrol 174 Satin Red (which is only slightly darker), and some Xtracolour Qantas Red (which I'd really prefer to save for my Qantas airliner builds). The EagleCals documentation suggests RLM 23 (which makes sense); can I make XF-7 work for that?

Kev