1:32 Hobby Boss Spitfire Mk.Vb Trop

Ralph Riese

Wow Ralph - excellent excellent excellent painting. Very very crisp.

I absolutely LOVE the way you did the underside - that I will use for my next build for sure.

And painted on markings just look so much better.

Respect !!

Guest Peterpools

Ralph

Enjoying your "simple" OOB of the HB Spit. Fit and finish is looking just awesome.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

I am really enjoying this! Fantastic work and a very original choice of paint scheme and markings. Thanks for sharing your painting techniques, most impressive!

Cheers Ralph! Fantastic stuff, always enjoy your WIP's. Have you figured out yet what you are going to do about the center part of the canopy? Do you plan to modify the Tamiya part or the HB one? Perhaps a vacform replacement? Might be easier to stretch over the fuselage.

Great to see your work again, especially on a Spitfire!

thanks Gents - appreciate your interest and comments.

Frank: not really figured out the canopy hood. The kit part in the open position is the simplest. Fitting the Tamiya part would need careful thinning of the inside of the part whrer it meets the fuselage, and some generous scraping of the respective fuselage areas. Maybe I need to fire up the Dremel??!!. Don't have facilities for vac-forming so that one's out for me.

Kit decals were applied - they worked well with MICRO SET. For those interested in more accuracy, I'd suggest thinking about some aftermarket stencils though.

6S-47_zpsf637eef1.jpg

4S-53_zps44edda08.jpg

XF-49 Khaki to start the stb-side wing root weathering.

5S-52_zps214830fe.jpg

XF-82 Ocean Grey for the port-side.

7S-34_zpsf26209c6.jpg

The Trop boxing does not include the short spinner so it was replaced with a Grey Matter Figures prop blades/spinner set. Unfortunately the spinner backing plate diameter did not match the spinner, so the spinner was grafted to an old Hasegawa backing plate that had been modified to fit the nose of the model. A 3:1 mix of XF-2 Flat White and XF-19 Sky Grey was used to kick off the exhaust staining.

8S-31_zps7e15a24b.jpg

2S-52_zps2757488f.jpg

3S-52_zpsc961cb3b.jpg

Not sure what went on with the "No walk" lines on the MTO / overpainted birds. Any thoughts on what to paint / what not to paint much appreciated.

Thanks again for looking. Cheers, Ralph.

Edited by Ralph Riese

What a great job on her ! I love the way your bottom roundels came out, with the small scoop. Just great !.............Harv :popcorn:

MIG's "Shadow Brown" oil wash, followed by testors Dullcote tinted with small amounts of Tamiya's XF-68 NATO Brown and XF-69 NATO Black...

1S-53_zps26c8112a.jpg

2S-52_zpse422571f.jpg

3S-52_zps902dabee.jpg

... starts to get ugly up close...

5S-52_zps75855287.jpg

6S-47_zps8d8e3c27.jpg

Seems there's now information suggesting that EP200 retained the original underside "Sky" colour and the earlier style underwing roundels.

Thanks for looking. Cheers, Ralph.

Edited by Ralph Riese