Tamiya Mustang

jcos

The engine is 90% done. I have to redo the ingition wires on the top of the engine because WWII merlins had a different setup than modern ones which was where i was getting my references from at the time. I first sprayed the engine with alcad, then a mix of black/grey, then chipped the paint to get a worn look. When it is completed it will get a spray of semi-gloss followed by some final staining with pastels. The brackets for the vaccume tube line and the prop governor control rod were made from aluminum from a soda can. Im trying to make the engine bay as realistic as possible, still a ton of work to do. I have managed to get a hold of a bunch of schematics and manuals so i now know where all the plumbing runs to so hopefully it will all work out. Ive spent far more time with research than actual building but that's half the fun!

100_0754.jpg

100_0755.jpg

100_0756.jpg

100_0757.jpg

100_0758.jpg

100_0761.jpg

100_0762.jpg

100_0763.jpg

Looking good,

I'd suggest checking fit between your ignition wires and the exhaust manifolds. I think you will find they interfere. I had this problem when I added the wires to my Spit Mk IX and the Mustang is an even tighter fit in these area.

Looking good. While I researched the engine I too found out that the Mustang Merlins had the different wiring. But it seems the Spitfires had a somewhat similar arrangement to yours. So I'm not entirely convinced that it's the ultimate truth that they had the split solution rather than the single rod we see on your engine. Could it be that they changed the wiring during wartime production?

Kyrre

I dont believe so, all the pictures i've seen plus the schematics and manuals i've acquired all show the top of the merlin with six ignition wires on either side, i really wish i would have come across this information BEFORE i wired it up with 12 on a single side. i havent really worked on the model in weeks because i'm not looking forward to redoing it, but i can't live with it the way it is knowing it's not accurate

i havent yet, im still procrastinating bout the ignition wires. thanks for the compliments tho. i fabricated the connections to the glycol tank (i dont know why tamiya didnt include them), the vaccume relief valve which is located on the left hand frame, and deleted the electrical box that was moulded on the firewall as this was only present for early type D models. i will try to finish up the engine this week and give an update. i also have to scratch build the tachometer generator which is located on the rear of the right hand cylinder head. the wire for the tach generator connects to that circular piece which is held to the rear of the right hand engine frame by a bracket. tamiya included this piece, it is molded into the top of the frame. then a wire runs from the back through the firewall for those who are interested...

• 2 weeks later...

well ive almost finished installing the new ignition harness, as soon as i do i will post some pics. i have recently been bumped to 2nd shift so i have less time. see, i work in an underground salt mine 1/4 below the surface, we produce road salt in western new york, but the problem is it hasnt snowed yet and we are running out of space to store salt. so the company has laid off over half the workforce until the snow starts and the trucks start showing up so we can go back to full production. so thats what i want for xmas, i big snow storm!

Just a small update, finally finished the ignition harness, now i just have to scratch build the tachemeter generator, finish up some painting and weathering, seal it with some semi-gloss, and the merlin will be done. hopefully things will move a little faster now, i kinda lost some motivation when i realized i had to entirely redo the top ignition harness

100_0772.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Peterpools

Off the a great start on the 'Stang. Looking forward to following along.

Peter

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Edited by Peterpools

Very nice detail work on that engine.

'I have managed to get a hold of a bunch of schematics and manuals . . .'

I'm scratching my head figuring out what goes where as well. Could you share where you found them?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark