Using filters on aircraft models

smudger

Hey guys,

OK, I'm trying to plan how to take my model making, especially the painting & weathering, to the next level.

I can make some half decent looking models but, to me, they lack the "wow" factor & I see other models that people have built which look amazingly lifelike.

I currently do a bit of pre-shading, paint & then just add a quick wash & wipe of the ProModeller washes to accentuate the panel lines etc & thats as far as I go.

I know that the armour guys use filters on their models such as the MIG Productions filters & I'm wondering if anyone uses these on aircraft models?

I think I'm always worried that I'll screw up all the previous hard work by overdoing the weathering so I errr on the side of caution as I dont have the knowledge, or should that be confidence, to step it up a level.

I really, really like the work of Mig Jimenez & some of the other greats of that school of modelling & have just this morning ordered a DVD of Mig's so we'll see what that does for me but in the meantime any information will be greatfully accepted.

Thanks in advance & happy modelling,

Martin

Filters are used to give the paint depth and to tie together camo colors so they don't look so garish. It is a tool to help the paint look aged. Also some times called filters or mapping, is the technique of placing dots of oil paint of different colors on your model then taking a brush moistened with thinner wiping the oils in the direction of airflow or gravity. This give subtle changes to the paint color and makes it more natural looking plus additional fading effects.

The MIG DVD will probably teach you all that you will need to know. Also, here is an old article he did for Missing Lynx that was the beginning of his teaching his techniques, HERE. You can see some more of his techniques, mainly directed towards armor, HERE.

Hope that helps!

I certainly know what you mean about not wanting a failed experiment to derail all your good work on a model. I suggest you build a few models where the intent is to practice a particular finishing style or technique. Don't invest a lot of time on other areas of the build. If the experiment fails, strip it and start again, or move on to the next one. If you pull it off, you'll have a satisfying model. Either way, you will have learned something - always useful!

Kev

Hey guys,

OK, I'm trying to plan how to take my model making, especially the painting & weathering, to the next level.

Hi smudger, good on you. It's a great idea to push your boundaries and experiment. Many happy accidents through experimentation result in some pleasing effects.

I can make some half decent looking models but, to me, they lack the "wow" factor & I see other models that people have built which look amazingly lifelike.

I currently do a bit of pre-shading, paint & then just add a quick wash & wipe of the ProModeller washes to accentuate the panel lines etc & thats as far as I go.

This is where I feel it gets sticky. "Wow" and "lifelike" are n't always the same thing. Some beautiful models blow your socks off but compared to the real deal the paint and weathering effects are greatly exaggerated. In my experience it's quite a feat to finish an aircraft realistically if many modelling techniques are applied. Pre-shading, filters and panel line washes need to be applied with subtlety if a realistic appearance is the desired end result.

If, however, a more artistic approach appeals then it's possible to create a truly eye-catching model even if it lacks authenticity and a realistic look. Would it be prudent to decide which course you prefer before embarking on the voyage? If you adopt every technique in your arsenal over every bit of every model you might be heading for frustration and disappointment.......

I know that the armour guys use filters on their models such as the MIG Productions filters & I'm wondering if anyone uses these on aircraft models?

Thanks in advance & happy modelling,

Martin

It's possible to use filters in any form of scale modelling. Filters can create subtle visual interest to areas of little detail or can subtly alter colour tones and hues to give perceived depth. Like any modelling technique, perfection comes with patience and practice.

Good luck with your projects.

Cheers,

Guy