F4U-1 Corsair

LSP_Ron

I am ready to make the plunge. I know this kit is a bit of an old hog so it will be done up as "Big Hog" from the Jolly Rodgers.

I don't plan on making to many mods to the kit outside of the AM I have lined up. That being the Aires and Verlinden cockpits, quick boost engine, our own LSP cowl and some decals.

Wish me luck, using Big Matt's great build thread as a reference, I think I'll need it :speak_cool:

Ron

PB190001-1.jpg

Good luck with the build, I will enjoy watching it progress. The kit is not "horrible", but it sure has its fiddly parts.

I would suggest deciding right now whether you want the flaps up or down, then gluing them accordingly as the metal hinges for the movable flaps do not work very well. If you use them, when the flaps are positioned in "down" position the hinges move them far from the wing and a big gap appears that is simply inaccurate. The hinges however work OK for the other movable parts.

:evil_laugh:

Don't blame me Ron.

Have fun and I would strongly suggest picking up Lee Cook's excellent book on VF-17. There are a ton of shots of white 3. A great subject. One particular shot shows a treaded and slick tire mounted for a nice assymetric look. The weathering is simply over the top as well.

We need more Corsairs. I will be watching for sure.

No pressure here, there have been times where I've posted entire builds with hardly a comment, this time I post the box and get 12 in one day :lol: just joking.

Anyway thanks for the interest and input all, very much appreciated.

I've been cleaning up resin bits the last two nights. I managed to get some green into the pit just now. Will post pics once I get some details worth posting.

Ron

Would you look at that! I actually managed to get something done this week. I must admit, I am a little sick of cutting off casting blocks. The ones on the engine and engine rear mount were a real bugger!! anyway,

The engine plumbing is started. I used Solder for the wires and mirco tubing for push rod tubes.

PB250001.jpg

I've started painting up the cockpit but still have a long way to go with details. Tonight I hope to add all the PE control handles etc. Two days ago I ordered some AM wheels from Heritage Aviation, no sooner did I hit send then I found I have a set of Contact Resin ones already. I really have no idea what all is in my stash, pretty pathetic eh?

cheers!

PB250003.jpg

PB250002.jpg

PB250004.jpg