seriously considering building a 1/32 P-61

richdlc

Hey guys - I have been thinking long and hard about my next build, and I really want to up my game. I'm aware of the WingXL future projects - looks like the P-61 is a popular choice, but I guess that in reality we won't see this aircraft in kit form for another couple of years at least...so my other option is to scratchbuild one based on a vac-form or a card model. I would really appreciate some advice on what the best way to go would be - how would you do it? I know there's a combat models vacform available...and one from tigger. There also seems to be several card models available in 1/33. (Perhaps matt could tell me what company makes the card model he is basing his helldiver on?)

I reckon with the combat models vac I would need to buy some aftermarket like wheels...

I haven't done any research as yet - I have read that it used the P&W R-2800, which is OK as Vector make some nice ones - the major areas (well apart from ALL of it lol) would be the interior, the wheel wells, landing gear...

Was the landing gear similar to any other aircraft for which aftermarket bits are available? And the props?

Lots of questions - I'd really appreciate any comments about how I could ease the task a little by using available parts.

I must be crazy, but I relish a challenge - reckon it can be done?

Rich

If you want to do it in card or do a card to plastic build like the SB2C elsewhere on the forum, try one of these:

http://www.gremirmodels.com/p-61_black_widow.htm

http://www.gremirmodels.com/p-61_black_widow1.htm

These are well-designed models by Rafal Ciesielski and are electronically delivered in a very secure format to be printed out on card or cover stock. Gremir has an "easy as pie" rescaling feature so the model can be printed at any scale you like (assuming you have the correct paper and a printer that can handle larger sheets if that's the way you want to go. Nearly all of Gremir's models are legitimate electronic versions of hardcopy models published by various Polish publishers. They are properly licensed and virtually immune to electronic pirating thanks to the heavy duty encryption. Mike is a great guy to deal with and gives lifetime support to his customers.

I am not emplyed by Gremir nor am I receiving any compensation for this blurb.

thanks, that's great advice ron

tim - any specific reason? you can PM me if you like...

I have set myself time limit of 1 year from now, hopefully in time to enter SMW 2012. Of course they say that the world will have ended by then, but I'm still determined to press ahead :P

I agree with Ron's recommendation. This P-61 is most likely the best kit you can get in card, although I'm not familiar with its details. I can do a little bit of snooping for you :ph34r:

It's maybe not Haliński's level of detail (that's the publisher of the Helldiver), but I guess that's not what is important in case of paper to plastic transfer. I know Matt was looking for a sturdy structure, which could help in skinning. GreMir's kit may simply require a little bit more work on the structure.

I concur, Mike (GreMir) is a great guy to deal with :thumbsup:

Edited by Tomek

cool, thanks tomek :-)

yes, it would be a card to plastic transfer.....it will be a massive amount of work, but that's how I roll - one subject at a time, with all my energy devoted to it....

Well Rich, whichever route you take, it will certainly be a challenge, which makes it all the more worthwhile in the end...I am making the ID vacform 1/32 P-61 as a tribute to Larry Hawkins, so you shall be in good company :speak_cool:

Derek

Well, I have not been exactly through the paper to card project but I did build my Kate from almost nothing so I know what it takes in term of comitment.

I am also tackling a vac Do 335 from Tigger right now.

All I can say is that assuming the vac kit is nicely pulled, the vac option is much easier indeed.

Whatever the way you choose, you will have to build most of the details/landing gears/wheels/pit/etc.... by yourself so it is equally complicated for that part.

Should I decide to build a P61, I would start by sendding Tigger a PM without a doubt ;)

My "educated" 2 cts...

Edited by Loic

For what it's worth, here are some pictures of GreMir's P-61 internal structure. That should give you better idea what to expect and if this kind of project can be done.

Photos are a courtesy of GreMir.

0101.jpg

0303.jpg

3737.jpg

1212.jpg

2525.jpg

Hi guys - thank you this is all excellent advice. My dad is building that 1/32 Lancaster at the moment, the modular one that you get with a magazine each week - the technique used there is intriguing as well, wooden ribbing with metal skin panels. I might use a combination of everything - card, vacform, metal/pewter sheet for panels....or plastic panels. Hmmmm further research required but I think it's do-able

oh maaaaaan

WingXL threads keep popping up regarding imminent releases of various twin engined planes......I'm probably a few years too late with this idea! :lol:

Oh well - a kit will significantly de-complicate things