German twin : Vac Do-335 nightfighter

Loic

Loic

1. Depends on how you wish to display the engine. If it is in situ, there would ne no need for the bolts as the manifold would be covered by the exhausts and probably also by the box like covering structure usually seen (seems to be used to heat air and pipe it to wings in most cases). If it were displayed next to a/c as a new engine there are usually cover plates over the manifolds (and front and rear often have support legs bolted to them). Maybe holes would be better - remember you could get the current way you've done it cast and then modify a copy - safer...?

2. I'd do the the air system first and then make sure fuel injection system fit the remaining space.

Matt

Hi guys,

and thanks for your kind words Rich.

I did work on the air intake manifold yesterday.

This is one cool piece and despite I had to take some short cuts, it turned out rather OK.

I unfortunatly did not shot much WIP pics... but here is what we have got so far.

First couple are just dry fit test shots with the newly detailled cylindre + head blocks:

DSC05646.jpg

DSC05648.jpg

Then the manifold itself made from aluminium tubing, styren and wires.

The centre "linking" pieces is not yet completed as I am hesitating between 2 methods to make it:

DSC05650.jpg

DSC05651.jpg

And now, dry fitted on the engine:

DSC05652.jpg

DSC05653.jpg

DSC05656.jpg

DSC05657.jpg

Even if they are rather small, I like the 24 inlet pipes, they look like my Alfa Romeo intake Manifold :wub: .... This is also where I took the bigger short cut as they normally are curved but I was unable to get that effect right on a 2mm long x 2.4 mm OD pipe... I have applied a bit of sanding to simulate the curve and that is good enough I think even if not perfect.

This engine is really fantastic! I'm sure you could send it to any of the casters out there (like Grey Matters) and they would be happy to cast it up. If the rest of the kit comes out as nice as this engine, it will certainly be a stunner!

Doug

Hey guys,

well, we will see what happen in the future but I heard you ;)

Here an update on today's work.

First was the rear part of the air intake system.

It was "sculpted" from a piece of solid styren. The 2 pieces of metal tubing are here to help centering/positioning the parts.

DSC05658.jpg

DSC05659.jpg

DSC05660.jpg

DSC05661.jpg

DSC05662.jpg

It is only the tubing linking the manifold to the charger that I need to do now.

That is not an easy bit cause it needs to be bend just right.

I will keep this for later :rolleyes:

Edited by Loic

Then I moved to the fuel injection pump/system.

I tryed to shot proper WIP pics, they are not very good but I hope you will like them anyway...

First side:

DSC05663.jpg

DSC05664.jpg

DSC05665.jpg

DSC05666.jpg

DSC05670.jpg

Second side:

DSC05671.jpg

DSC05672.jpg

DSC05674.jpg

DSC05675.jpg

Edited by Loic