German twin : Vac Do-335 nightfighter

Loic

I dont know if these are useful to you in the slightest, I dont even know which engine this is exactly. These were taken at the Fantasy of Flight museum in Florida last year. I forgot that I had these actually and only remembered when you mentioned the DB logo on the gearbox! Anyways, I hope these help someone out there. Hope you dont mind. Your engine looks fantastic! thanks for sharing

100_7481.jpg

100_7482.jpg

100_7483.jpg

Hi,

thanks for the kind words and thanks for the help.

The engine on the pics is a DB-605, it was fitted on Me 110G and Me 109G.

The DB-605 is an evolution of original DB-601 (same displacement) whereas the DB-603 is much bigger in every dimensions but visually, it looks very very similar.

I am in a position where my "problem" was not that I have not reference, it was that I have too much references... and not all of those telling the same story... I should have check much better before running into the build! But in the end, we all learn from mistakes don't we :doh:

Thanks for following ;)

Edited by Loic

Hi,

thanks for the kind words and thanks for the help.

The engine on the pics is a DB-605, it was fitted on Me 110G and Me 109G.

The DB-605 is an evolution of original DB-601 (same displacement) whereas the DB-603 is much bigger in every dimensions but visually, it looks very very similar.

I am in a position where my "problem" was not that I have not reference, it was that I have too much references... and not all of those telling the same story... I should have check much better before running into the build! But in the end, we all learn from mistakes don't we :doh:

Thanks for following ;)

That's why it takes me so long to make my patterns...research, research, research!...(well, that's my excuse anyway, and I'm sticking to it!):D

Seriously, you sometimes need to amass a great deal of information in order to understand exactly what you are making, and it often goes down to operation and component level - why?, because it increases your understanding of the subject matter and helps enormously when you need to interpret photographs and drawings.

...You'll get there in the end Loic!...

Derek

Edited by Derek B

You are so right Derek !

Plus, once you think you have understand the deal, then check again !

Anyway, had to take a deep breath this morning and start working on those exaust interfaces...

I have used scrap to experience/try out a few different methods this morning and here is what I came out with... on flesh and bones...

1) cut out some styren stripes 0.5x3x5 mm. Cut out 2 angles and give those angles a gentle curved shape.

I also recommand to give the other curved shape on top of the parts, between the 2 rounds angles, now... I did not and regretted it later when I had to work these out (not shawn on the folloing images).

DSC05630.jpg

2) glue them on the cylindre heads. Try to keep a consistant gap between the parts (it has all been drawn on the cylindre head before glueing...). Apply gentle sanding using some styren card to master the thikness of the parts.

DSC05631.jpg

3) drill the exaust channels with a Dremel like tool. I do that in several step: 0,5 mm first to give a good positionning/centering then with bigger and bigger tools finishing with a 1 mm round driller.

DSC05632.jpg

4) drill the nuts & bolts positions with the 0,5 mm drill again

DSC05633.jpg

5) use some streched sprue (or evergreen rod in my case), glue them in the holes and cut at about 0.5 to 1 mm max from the head. Then, with a lighter or a candle, very gently melt the sprue until the reach the head. The consistancy on the sprue diametre and the lenght will give the consistancy on the bolts diametres.

DSC05637.jpg

And voilà... could have been worst I belive. The pics are not really good but it gets difficult to show those little bits and tiny details I am affraid.

Hope you guys are having a good day!! I am ;)

Edited by Loic

Guys,

one last pic of the near completed job on the cylindres & heads.

I did add the ignition plugs holes and a couple of other tinys bits and pieces.

DSC05638.jpg

Now, it is time to work on the other side of those babies, the one which is in the middle of the V...

Thanks for following :speak_cool:

Simply amazing progress Loic! Every time I peek in here at your work, I am more and more impressed. The engine is really comming out well. I cant wait until you can get past the engine work and install one or two on your Arrow.

All the best,

Paul

Wow Loic! Detailed intake manifold as well as exhaust...

Front end does look much better - good call.

Don't forget the manual I put on the CD. It has excellent drawings of the fuel system that sits between the cylinder banks.

Also, I've been thinking. Now you've modelled a DB 603 turbo, you could market this seperately as it is needed for the most obvious visible change to the DB 605 to make the latter versions (605D, AS, ASD..?) which went into 109G-10, K-4 etc). Could be very handy to 'bolt' onto an Aires/MDC DB 605A.

Matt

Many, many thanks guys !

You are much too good too me really but it feels good to know you like it :speak_cool:

Matt,

I, of course, will look deeply into those refs.

At the moment, I have things in mind...

1) was the nuts&bolts on the intake/exaust a good idea? Reason for that is that if I want add exaust for exemple, I should cut the bolts out... might have been more clever to just drill the holes in here and the visual results would have been as good as it is now I think (or even better).

2) next will be the middle of the V stuffs. I wonder wether I should start by the fuel system which is underneath and try fit the air system after or work it out the opposit way... future will tell!

Thanks again for following my friends ;)