German twin : Vac Do-335 nightfighter

Loic

And then, the final batch for today with the rocker covers (not yet finished):

DSC05563.jpg

DSC05564.jpg

DSC05565.jpg

DSC05566.jpg

I hope it does somehow shows the complex curves of this engine as there are almost no straight lines in there but mainly gentle curves all around.

Hope you guys like it and thanks for following gents :speak_cool:

Outstanding Loic, you make it look so easy! most of us would still be on attempt number four hundred to get that clean a result! Just like the rest of your Arrow, the DB is comming to life.

Excellent progress!

Wishing you the best on the rest of the engine block and details, I know there has to be hours of work alreay into it, but it's really paid off.

Paul

Stunning work indeed Loic! To be able to work out in your head a method for building up the complex shapes involved is impressive. I wish I could do that sort of stuff, but I don't have the spatial acuity for it (or the talent!).

Great work my friend.

Kev

Oh dear, you make creating a complex piece of casted machinery so easy...

...I had plans to build a Ford P68 once, but I chickened out by the thought of scratching a Ford DFV... :innocent:

Thanks a lot guys, much appreciated.

I would not say it is complicated but trust me it is not "easy" either: my fingers and hand are really painfull from having to hold those tiny pieces, tools, sand paper/stick all the weekend.

Kev might have a good point with this "spacial acquity" thing. I actually started my profesionnal life as a CAD desinger and the thinking and approach are (amazingly !) very similar indeed.

Anyway, thanks for following :speak_cool:

It's time to go to bed here !!

Loic

If you need more information on the DB 603 this CD-ROM from http://www.luftfahrt-archiv-hafner.de/ might be helpful:

CD-ROM

385 MB 64,95 €

Flugmotor Daimler-Benz DB 603 A

CD-Reihe „Deutsche Luftfahrttechnik“ mit ISBN

Technisches Kompendium, gesamt 1.550 Seiten, bestehend aus:

DB 603 A Handbuch, Werk-Ausgabe B, Motoren-Handbuch. Inhalt: Kennzeichnung, Beschreibung des Motors, Behandlungs- und Wartungsrichtlinien, Maßnahmen vor erster Inbetrieb-nahme, Flugklarmachen, Betrieb, Wartung, Motorstörungen und Behebung, Konservierung. 1942, 120 S. mit 41 Abb.

DB 603 A, Werksausgabe, Ersatzteilliste. Inhalt: Ausführungsmerkmale DB 603 Baureihe 1 und 2, Verzeichnis der Baugruppen, Übersichtstafeln, Motor-Ersatzteile und Ersatzteilbilder, Sachnummern- Gerätenummern- und Normteil-Verzeichnis, Geräte-Ersatzteillisten von Zulieferfirmen. Dez. 1942, 270 S.

DB 603 A, D(Luft)T3603 A, 1 u. 2, Motoren-Handbuch. Inhalt: Kennzeichnung, Beschreibung des Motors, Behandlungs- und Wartungsrichtlinien, Maßnahmen vor erster Inbetriebnahme, Flugklarmachen, Betrieb, Wartung, Motorstörungen und Behebung, Konservierung. 1944, 130 S. mit 58 Abb.

DB 603 Anleitung für Kontrolle, mech. Bearbeitung und Montage, Prüfstand. Inhalt: 1: Allgemeine Angaben für mechanische Bearbeitung, Kontrolle, Montage, Aggregatprüfungen und Prüfeinrichtungen. 2: Fertigmontage. 3: Motorenprüffeld. 4: Leistungsregelung. 1942, 720 S.

DB 603 A, Ausbildungs-Unterlagen. Inhalt: Motor, Luftschraube, Motorbetrieb und Einbau, 1943, 205 S.

DB 603 A-F, Werk-Ausgabe A, Vorläufiges Motorenhandbuch. Inhalt: Kennzeichnung, Beschreibung des Motors, Behandlungs- und Wartungsrichtlinien, Maßnahmen vor erster Inbetriebnahme, Flugklarmachen, Betrieb, Wartung, Motorstörungen und Behebung, Konservierung. 1941, 125 S. mit 36 Abb.

DB 603 A, E-F, Einbauzeichnungen, 2 Blaetter

ISBN: 978-3-939847-18-2

Best.-Nr. / order no.: LAH-CD-ROM-1019

Best Regards,

D.B.

(Not affiliated with Herr Hafner or Luftfahrt-Archiv Hafner.)

...And then BANG !!

You know when we say measure twice & cut once, bla-bla-bla....

Well, I should add check twice you work with the right reference before you measure twice ...

I actually worked from a file I made from various pics and illustrations I found here and there.

I scale them myself and I screwed up the front view: biginers mistake :deadhorse:

I so have an engine which is basicly OK in lenght but overdone for all the rest (ie, the crank case was 3.5mm too wide and 1.5mm to tall...).

So I had use the dremell big time, sand, sand, sand and sand again until I managed to get back to the appropriate size... useless effort and pain, lots of wasted time... but now it is OK at least.

Here is the dryfit test with the corrected parts (pics are shot on sand paper as a symbol :BANGHEAD2: )...

Been there, done that (several times...and still doing it!:) ).

Excellent work Loic. If I were to make this engine tomorrow, this is exactly how I would have tackled/made it (although I'd have double checked my measurements first :lol: ). Apart from wearing your fingers out, as Loic has alluded to, the most complex/hardest part of scratchbuilding the engine (especially as angles are involved) is the accuracy and precsion required during the crafting of the components...unless you are very lucky first time around, there is normally some amount of re-shimming and sanding inviolved to keep everthing correct.

Keep up the good work.

Regards

Derek

Thanks very much guys :speak_cool:

More to come in the next few days hopefully but be warned:

the more I go ahead, the smaller the parts, the longer it takes to create stuff ...

See you !

Hi Loic – Read this thread through last night and I love what you are doing some stunning work. Didn't realize how big this plane actually was!!!!

Looking forward to next instalment on the engine!

:popcorn:

Happy Days - Taff :D

Hi guys,

thanks a lot for following the build and for the kind words ;)

I have done a bit more work on the rocker covers rear end and on the reduction gear box.

Not yet completed but it is going along, step by step...

DSC05572.jpg

DSC05571.jpg

Hope you still like it.