German twin : Vac Do-335 nightfighter

Loic

Hello guys !

thanks for the king words.

Here are finaly the "explainations/illustration" about the engine thingy...

Basicly, the engines dimensions are (mm):

- DB-605 ==>

L=2304 x W= 762 x H=1035 for the real thing

L=72 x W= 24 x H=32 in 1/32 nd scale

- DB-603 ==>

L=2610 x W= 830 x H=1156 for the real thing

L=82 x W= 26 x H=36 in 1/32 nd scale

Then, DB-603 is bigger by L=10mm x W=2mm x H= 4mm

It may seam unsignificant (what I initially thought despite advises from Mattlow) but in flesh, it is not.

It will especially show on the front engine.

Tried to illustrate with "as close as possible" scale drawings:

DB603vs605.jpg

And this is what the basic DB-605 engine looks like in the Do-335 fuselage. Looks too small to me :closedeyes:

DSC05543.jpg

DSC05544.jpg

Hope it does make sence.

I have then been searching for a 1/32nd scale aftermarcket DB-603 and I did not find any.... I will make my own and the good news is that I will be able to use those in the forthcoming Uhu (bet my ass Revell wont include any engine in their kit which I do not see any issue with that) and my Do-217 "secret" project just to start with.

Thanks for following guys even if there has not been too much exitment here lately ;)

Loic,

I wish you luck in producing the DB, with your talent I expect nothing short of perfection though :evil_laugh: And PLEASE make a mold/casting of it when youre done so I can buy some from you =D

Looking forward to seeing more,

Paul

That's the plan Paul ;) I mean to mold/cast it.

I have not been considering salling those to be honnest.

Let's see how it turns out first, then we will eventually see what happens I guess.

Loic

I am certain you'll do a good job of the 603. I also think you should consider breaking it down for casting commercially. There's a growing number of aircraft to put one (or two) into. Somewhere on this site is a feature by Vincent Kermorgant on building the master for his DB 605, marketed by MDC (a fine engine) , can't find it at the moment.

Matt

That's the plan Paul ;) I mean to mold/cast it.

I have not been considering salling those to be honnest.

Let's see how it turns out first, then we will eventually see what happens I guess.

Hey Loic

I'd buy a few ! Question; Are the old revell engines out of the 109 & 110 close in scale or would it just be simpler to scratch a new one ? (my experience is it is less work & frustration to scratch build it.)

Cheers

Vaughn

Edited by spacewolf

Too bad about the engine, Loic, but it does look undersized in that cavernous fuselage. Still and all, a fascinating build! I've always had a weakness for German nightfighters and it looks like this will be a beauty when done. I need to start saving up for the Uhu (and wouldn't a Do-217N-2 in 1/32nd scale injection-moulded plastic be brilliant!).

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

Hmmm, I wonder if this a case of the engine being purposely under-scale to fit into an existing kit? Kind of like the Trumpeter 109?

Anyway, based on what you've done so far Loic, I'm sure the scratch built one will be a beauty!

Hi guys,

thanks for the kind words :speak_cool:

@ Matt:

I will mold/cast the engine for sure as (if no better reasons) I need 2 for the Do 335.

I also think about what is coming in the future regard less if it comes from manufacturers or from my sick mind.

I will look for Vincent thread if I can find it.

@ Vaughn:

I have considered the 2 options indeed. The old Revell are no good I think, there are too many structural differences between the 2 engines (even if they look almost identical on pictures!). I will start from zero.

Will I sale some? I have not made my mind yet. Wait and see but keep in mind it may turn into a little piece of crap you will not want to spend money into...

@ Jason:

night fighters are COOL ! And a Do-217 would be as great as the design was crap (one of the worst NF in the LW) !

I am also very happy with the Uhu forthcoming release (Have a vac kit but this one is very intimidating!!)

@ Ron:

Can't blame you enough for that Ron... I forwarded you the bill, should be with you shortly...

Stop jocking: there is no problem as those 2 little wonders will look just great in my future Me-110 G4 conversion project :ninja:

@ Mikester:

The CMK DB-605 are really fine. If they are undersized, that is by very little.

The all point is that the DB-603 is a much bigger engine than the DB-605. It is like the Merlin and Griffon if I can say. So no issue with the CMK kit, it is just that they reproduce a DB-605 (which is what they are ment to do), not a DB-603.

I will normally start to work on the engines this weekend but I first need to buy some styren... lots off...

Thanks for following guys ;)

Guest Vincent

Hi guys,

thanks for the kind words :speak_cool:

@ Matt:

I will mold/cast the engine for sure as (if no better reasons) I need 2 for the Do 335.

I also think about what is coming in the future regard less if it comes from manufacturers or from my sick mind.

I will look for Vincent thread if I can find it.

@ Vaughn:

I have considered the 2 options indeed. The old Revell are no good I think, there are too many structural differences between the 2 engines (even if they look almost identical on pictures!). I will start from zero.

Will I sale some? I have not made my mind yet. Wait and see but keep in mind it may turn into a little piece of crap you will not want to spend money into...

@ Jason:

night fighters are COOL ! And a Do-217 would be as great as the design was crap (one of the worst NF in the LW) !

I am also very happy with the Uhu forthcoming release (Have a vac kit but this one is very intimidating!!)

@ Ron:

Can't blame you enough for that Ron... I forwarded you the bill, should be with you shortly...

Stop jocking: there is no problem as those 2 little wonders will look just great in my future Me-110 G4 conversion project :ninja:

@ Mikester:

The CMK DB-605 are really fine. If they are undersized, that is by very little.

The all point is that the DB-603 is a much bigger engine than the DB-605. It is like the Merlin and Griffon if I can say. So no issue with the CMK kit, it is just that they reproduce a DB-605 (which is what they are ment to do), not a DB-603.

I will normally start to work on the engines this weekend but I first need to buy some styren... lots off...

Thanks for following guys ;)

Hi

I somehow remembers from my research that the DB603 was a DB601 on steroids. They have the same crankshaft housing but thicker and deeper cylinder banks on the 603.... And of course the reduction housing is longer on the 603 as it was intented to be used with a combined circular oil/water radiator...

V

Hi Vincent,

The DB-603 is in fact bigger in almost every aspect I after checking closely, I do not think there is any interest in starting from a DB-601/605 however good/accurate the base might be.

Loic-

Wow- your work never ceases to amaze me. You are correct in that the -603 was bigger in almost all respects compared to the 601/605. I had started scratcbuilding one for a project many moons ago. You would be better off starting from scratch.

Looking forward to more updates.

THOR :ninja:

Hi guys,

and thanks a lot for the kind words my friends :speak_cool:

I have been working on the DB-603 engine this weekend so here is a quick update ;)

I started to try replicate the big assemblies/parts of the engine first using styren in various size and shape.

We got styren : crank case and cylinders

DSC05548.jpg

Cut the bottom of the crank case at 120° angle:

DSC05551.jpg

Added the lower piece of the reduction gear box:

DSC05549.jpg

DSC05552.jpg

DSC05553.jpg

Edited by Loic

Now with the cylinders:

DSC05555.jpg

Looks cool, ready for a dry fit test :speak_cool:

And then BANG !!

You know when we say measure twice & cut once, bla-bla-bla....

Well, I should add check twice you work with the right reference before you measure twice ...

I actually worked from a file I made from various pics and illustrations I found here and there.

I scale them myself and I screwed up the front view: biginers mistake :deadhorse:

I so have an engine which is basicly OK in lenght but overdone for all the rest (ie, the crank case was 3.5mm too wide and 1.5mm to tall...).

So I had use the dremell big time, sand, sand, sand and sand again until I managed to get back to the appropriate size... useless effort and pain, lots of wasted time... but now it is OK at least.

Here is the dryfit test with the corrected parts (pics are shot on sand paper as a symbol :BANGHEAD2: ):

DSC05556.jpg

DSC05558.jpg

DSC05557.jpg

Edited by Loic