German twin : Vac Do-335 nightfighter

Loic

Vaughn,

that is indeed a pretty thick wing!

Ron,

thanks for passing by and foor the kind words.

Last update of the weekend before I go back to work tomorrow :BANGHEAD2:

I have been reconstructing the flaps from styren card:

I think I managed to get the trailing edge sharp ;)

Now THAT is thin....beautiful work !

:popcorn:

Vaughn

... My thought on not using the vac part would be that it is easier to build the part from sheet rather than trying to use the bits you cut out. The edges would be cleaner, thickness consistant, and you have no need to add material to the edge where it was lost during cutting from the wing...easier, just as fast and less headaches...

I could not have said it better!

I found much more easier to start from brand new (straight/flat/square/etc...) card rather than from the tortured kit parts.

Also, this helps a lot into the " get the trailling edge sharp " process.

To illustrate the differences:

1) is the kit bits

2) this is what it is like when prepared (cut out the flat piece

3) is the best you can get with the kit parts

Not quite thin/sharp. If you want a better edge, you have to apply more sanding but then, the parts gets shorter and shorter... Plus I find it diffcult to manage the straightness of the edge. In one word: difficult!

Not even talking the mess to get the structural triangle to fit properly...

1') start from a sheet of styren (blue) and add a triangle structure (no complicated shape in here)the sand along the dot line

2') glue a second piece of styren (purple) on top of it and sand along dot line again.

3') here you have a nice piece of sharp edge!

The only point is to desing it slightly too long at the start then, to trim it back to good lenght, apply some more sanding.

Flapok.jpg

I find it much easier and controlable ;)

Edited by Loic

Nice work on those trailing edges Loic. I'll have to remember that technique! Here's an alternative I used on a Monogram Wildcat a couple of years ago (it had really bad trailing edges!).

First, glue a length of styrene rod to the trailing edge:

wing_edges_2.jpg

Trim, back-fill with CA and sand to match the wing:

wing_edges_3.jpg

wing_edges_4.jpg

Not as sharp as yours, but works well for improving this area in dodgy old kits.

Kev

Nice technique mate, I used that one several times and it work very well.

I even usually cut the last mm of the kit edge to have a better gluing of the styren.

The problem with vac is that when you cut the last mm, you are very likely to end up with a lack of material to glue to...

It may seam a useless pain to restart from nil but it is actually much easier ;)

By the way, thanks a lot to all of you for following and for the kind words guys :speak_cool:

Not to hijack Loic's awesome build thread, but does anyone know what scale this Do-335 is? It is from a Czech site, and the one pic that show's a man's hand in it makes the model look to be very large-

http://amg.cdc.cz/kat84.html

My guess is it's 1/32, but possibly even larger than that. It's an incredibly clean and precise build if it's from a vac kit. It reminds me of a highly-refined pre-built kit (more refined than any I've ever seen). It bears none of the hallmarks of standard AMS finishes, such as pre- or post-shading, highlighting, washes or weathering. The paint job looks like it would be at home on a diecast model. Very interesting!

Kev

Not to hijack Loic's awesome build thread, but does anyone know what scale this Do-335 is? It is from a Czech site, and the one pic that show's a man's hand in it makes the model look to be very large-

http://amg.cdc.cz/kat84.html

My guess is it's 1/32, but possibly even larger than that. It's an incredibly clean and precise build if it's from a vac kit. It reminds me of a highly-refined pre-built kit (more refined than any I've ever seen). It bears none of the hallmarks of standard AMS finishes, such as pre- or post-shading, highlighting, washes or weathering. The paint job looks like it would be at home on a diecast model. Very interesting!

Kev

I would venture to say that Kev is correct. I think 32nd is probably a good bet. The Do335 is a HUGE airframe. I have MCD/Radus Ar 234 and its BIG in 32nd...............but just checkout NASM's Do335 next to its Ar 234 -

Do335A_Pfeil.jpg

The Do335 almost dwarfs the big jet bomber.

Brian

Edited by Out2gtcha

Looks interesting guys.

I agree with 32nd scale too (comapred my fingers to the windscreen and front engine cowl: looks similar to me.

I agree with kev comments on the paint job too but some modelers like their builds super neat so who knows. This said, it looks like those toys you buy pre painted and pre assembled and that some of us guys loves to dismental, repaint and resassemble.

Just for info, the bird is about 440x440mm in 32nd scale.

Edited by Loic

Hello guys,

well, this is not really an update today as I had the He.. of a time at work last week meaning virtually no time for medelling so nothing was done on the Do indeed.

I am working on the ailerons right now so I should be able to post a few pics in the next few days I guess. I will also be on vacations starting tuesday night so I hope I will manage to find some time despite I will have the 2 baby girls with me at home :fight:

Anyway, this post is more a public call for :help:

I started to seriously look at the engine work and I think the best way to handle this is to update an existing DB engine.

I have seen on a thread here at LSP that the Trumpeter Me 109G had a pretty decent engine (good enough as a base for sure) and I was wondering if anyone would have that kit and do not intend to use the engine so I could buy it.

Would that be the case, please drop me a PM and we will sort things out ;)

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Loic

Well, just ordered 2 sets as well as 2 quick boost exaust set to go with those :rolleyes:

And now, I suppose I should thank you for that ... Ok, thanks a lot for the tip mate!!

That is pretty good stuff for value I think ;)

Just have to wait for 4 weeks now -_-

Edited by Loic

Well, just ordered 2 sets as well as 2 quick boost exaust set to go with those :rolleyes:

And now, I suppose I should thank you for that ... Ok, thanks a lot for the tip mate!!

That is pretty good stuff for value I think ;)

Just have to wait for 4 weeks now -_-

Nothin like spending another mans money!! :lol: