German twin : Vac Do-335 nightfighter

Loic

Hi Loic,

Very interesting use for the masking tape / paper tape; I like that idea, it is very clever use of transferring lines that need to be cut out.

Love the wheel bays, nice basic structure that will add strength to the wing.

One question how did you get the inner curve of the wing on to the wheel bay?

Christian

Hi guys,

thanks a lot for the kind words.

I have been working on it this weekend so I will post an update later today when I shot some pics.

Christian,

I wish I had a contour gauge but I don't. It is all a try & error process in fact.

But I also have one handy tool to the rescue.

It is a drawing tool that is designed to help draw curved lines : I will shot a pic later and show you guys ;)

Hello,

well, time for the weekend update.

First of all, here is a pic of this tool I talked about earlier today:

DSC05502.jpg

I actually have 3 of those with different sizes and curves.

They are made od translucant plastic (about 1.5mm thick) and one can use them to draw or cut for exemple.

This said, I really need to buy a contour gauge sometime.

Back to the build and please pardon the ambiant mess on my desk :rolleyes:

First step was to cut ou the flaps out and build/complete the internal structure:

DSC05509.jpg

Then the ailerons and the outter wing structure:

DSC05506.jpg

DSC05507.jpg

You may have noticed it: I used the "teeth" methode to join the different parts of the wings:

DSC05508.jpg

This is how it looks like when dry assembled:

DSC05504.jpg

And with the slight diedra here:

DSC05505.jpg

Finaly, the overall dry assembly: that is quite a large wing surface !

DSC05503.jpg

That's it for today about the Do ! But there is little more :ninja: I went to LHS on saturday to buy some styren card and I found some synthetic grass so I might get little distracted for a short while completing a long over due Spitfire diorama... ;)

I went to LHS on saturday to buy some styren card and I found some synthetic grass so I might get little distracted for a short while completing a long over due Spitfire diorama... ;)

I bet you thought we forgot about your long over due dio :rolleyes:

Good! A small distraction like that is more than welcome.

Very nice engineering, Loic. A lot of thought goes into this build, isn't it?

Thanks guys,

well, I would just say one should better think twice before doing anything with this kind of build but it you take your time and if you can resist the will to finish before you even started, there is nothing unfeasable.

Hey, that old dio...the all point is that I ran out of synthetic grass.

Last time I went to LHS to buy some, the guy there told me it was discontinued as the brand who manufacture those (Faller) had financial issues... that was monthes ago and when I went there last saturday there were dozens of bags!

I bought 4 which at my actual pace should cover the next 20 years or so :rolleyes:

Need some white glue now :ninja:

Edited by Loic

Hey Loic, beautiful work on the wings. She's a big one isn't she ? Considering the height of the landing gear it'll certainly dominate any other 1/32 fighter on the table. Wonderful to see you doing this ship justice.

:popcorn:

Cheers

Vaughn

Well, she is rather big. This said, it is mainly her proportions that are unusual to me.

WWII A/C use to have their width bigger than their lenght but for this one, this is more "square", the fuse being slightly longer than the width. Compared to Me-110, fuse is longer but wing span is shorter. It will also be rather "tall" if I can say.

The cord at wing root also is impressive with almost 12 cm at 1/32 nd scale. As a comparison, B5N is 10cm (and already impressive for single engine A/C) and F4F is hardy 7.5cm...

Definatly an interesting A/C to me ;)

Well, she is rather big. This said, it is mainly her proportions that are unusual to me.

WWII A/C use to have their width bigger than their lenght but for this one, this is more "square", the fuse being slightly longer than the width. Compared to Me-110, fuse is longer but wing span is shorter. It will also be rather "tall" if I can say.

The cord at wing root also is impressive with almost 12 cm at 1/32 nd scale. As a comparison, B5N is 10cm (and already impressive for single engine A/C) and F4F is hardy 7.5cm...

Definatly an interesting A/C to me ;)

To me too Loic, I don't quite know why but this is my favorite aircraft of all time. I remember building several of the old 1/72 lindberg kits (loved the box art !) as a kid and several of the old Monogram 1/48 kits over the years. The thickness of the wing is interesting as well, all in all a massive machine, tall and square, I've always thought it was an odd but beautiful aircraft.

Cheers

Vaughn

Vaughn,

that is indeed a pretty thick wing!

Ron,

thanks for passing by and foor the kind words.

Last update of the weekend before I go back to work tomorrow :BANGHEAD2:

I have been reconstructing the flaps from styren card:

DSC05511.jpg

DSC05512.jpg

I think I managed to get the trailing edge sharp ;)

Now, this is what it is like when assembled:

DSC05510.jpg

Not the best picture here I am afraid, sorry for that guys.

See you !

This said, I really need to buy a contour gauge sometime.

DSC05504.jpg

And with the slight diedra here:

DSC05505.jpg

Finaly, the overall dry assembly: that is quite a large wing surface !

DSC05503.jpg

Hi Loic,

Very impressive construction of the wing! :clap2:

Especially with the different dihedral in the middle of the wing! :bow:

Now I understand why you cut the wing in halve.

All the little plastic you have added must be making the wing structure very strong.

I am surprise you do not have a contour gauge in you tool kit. :o I could not survive with my trust contour gauge in building a vac kit.

Well Christmas is on its way; maybe Santa Claus will give you a contour gauge for Christmas. :P

Speak to you later,

Christian

Hi Loic,

Once again, very impressive scratch building on the wing flap.

Can I ask why you decide to rebuild the wing flap, instead of using the vac u formed section that you cut of? :hmmm:

Regards,

Christian

I agree, wonderful detailed work. My thought on not using the vac part would be that it is easier to build the part from sheet rather than trying to use the bits you cut out. The edges would be cleaner, thickness consistant, and you have no need to add material to the edge where it was lost during cutting from the wing...easier, just as fast and less headaches.

Cheers

Vaughn