IAF P-51D

Michael Satin

I'm going to start building the Tamiya 1/32 P-51D:

TamP-51Dunstarted.jpg

as an Israeli Mustang from 1948-49 using the Sky's decals sheet:

Skysinstructions.jpg

Technically, I'm building this for the Armorama Sands of Israel campaign, but they're fine if I share it here as well. Hope that's cool with you all.

REALLY looking forward to getting going on this one but I've got to finish up a HobbyBoss F-84E first. I'm putting decals on that one right now, so I'm almost there!

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice, great to see so many different Mustangs already. Hope you post some pics of your F-84...

As requested:

finished1.jpg

PB190089.jpg

PB190091.jpg

All the HobbyBoss 1/32 F-84E, the last including the Hasegawa P-47D for a family comparison. I know these technically don't belong in this thread, but you asked! Anyway, I just finished it, so the Mustang is next.

Thanks for looking, see you soon!

Michael

Well, I've gotten started. Spent the last two days pre-painting. I'm pretty much sticking to the kit painting instructions except I'm limiting interior green to the cockpit and doing the engine compartment, landing gear bays and gun bays in zinc -chromate yellow (Tamiya yellow-green) as I think that's more appropriate. I'm again using Floquil's Bright Silver for bare metal where called for and will use it for the finish. This one will be out of the box except for the decals. Fun so far, but a LOT of pre-painting with all those details!

I'll take some pics when there's something worth having a picture of short of painted parts on sprues.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all! I'm just not a big weathering fan, even though I'm sure IAF Mustangs were probably fairly beat up. I like the way it's going so far, though I just glued the fuselage halves together and am concerned about the area in front of the cockpit. I really had to strain to get the halves to meet there. Hope that doesn't come back to bite me!

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some more work on my Tamiya 1/32 P-51:

PC280001.jpg

The rudder is just sort of stuck on, not actually fully in place yet. I painted the wings Floquil Old Silver and the rest Floquil Bright Silver. I still have some panels around the cowling that I will to do in steel and of course the black anti-glare panel.

My plan at this point is the first IAF Mustang in it's original D-190 markings.

Great kit to build so far! Thinking ahead a little and painting the inside of the radiator intake and exhaust before assembly was a big help, it's been much easier to do the rest now.

Michael