Hasegawa Fw 190D-11 Conversion

LSP_Kevin

Yep, that's great. Good to see it finally finished.

I had missed the fact you used a two part canopy.... I'll see if I have a newer single piece canopy you can have - I must have a blown canopy spare....?

Matt

Thanks for the nice words chaps - you're all too kind!

I had missed the fact you used a two part canopy.... I'll see if I have a newer single piece canopy you can have - I must have a blown canopy spare....?

That'd be great if you could swing it Matt! It's off this morning for its contest debut (the biggest one of the year too), but for this and other reasons it's not a real contender. There are probably 3 other local comps I can take it too though, so I'd love to fix the most glaring issue.

Did you ever dig out that 262B canopy?

Kev

I must thank Tim Valdez, Steve Messer (Wumm) and Matt Low for their invaluable and generous help, advice and parts on this build, without which it would have been an entirely different affair. Thanks guys!

I should really have included Jerry Rutman in this list too! Thanks Jerry!

Kev

Thanks Mark, always appreciate your support. Here's a dodgy photo of it on the contest table, taken with my iPhone:

u40XzT.jpg

After setting it down and doing a lap of the venue, I was quite surprised to find a D-9 done as 'Red 1' sitting next to it! They looked quite good together, though I feel the other model was probably the better one (the builder used a noticeably different shade of red for the undersides, and possibly even bothered to research it!).

There were some amazing models on display (I'll get photos on Monday), not least of which was a Wingnut Wings FE.2 that had come all the way from Poland! It was spectacular, and an instant category winner.

Kev

Was glad to help Kev...

In fact, I took some pride in the fact that I'd had a hand in her completion. And she looked good compared to the other JV44 Dora alongside. Your choice of red looked close enough, whereas I thought the choice of RLM82 on the other bird was too garish. But I suppose these things can be put down to interpretation, especially when they're being judged in a contest by individuals who might not know the specifics of Luftwaffe colours.

Unfortunately, little things like the missing aerial wire are the things that get noticed, rather than the tremendous amount of work you put into her, only be hidden in the process of making her seem like she was a stock-standard kit much like the Dora next door. I personally think that achievement was the finest part of the whole build.

Congratulations on your efforts,

Steve.

Thanks Steve. I spoke with the guy who built the Dora while we were packing up our models, and he complimented me on the build. He said his red was a mix of Tamiya acrylics (flat red and hull red I think). He commented that he thought mine was a touch too glossy, and he's right. He also expressed some bemusement as he wasn't aware that Hasegawa had released a D-11 kit! So it's easy to see how the judges might have perceived the model as a stock Hasegawa kit that missed a couple of things (too glossy, no aerial wire). The lack of an aerial wire was partly a function of running out of time, but also partly due to my congenital laziness when it comes to modelling - something I really must try to overcome!

Next year I'm hoping to have the 190S finished, so hopefully that will stand out from the crowd!

Anyway, I've posted some glamour shots in an RFI thread:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=39846

Kev

• 8 months later...

Just re-read the whole threat. Started way back in 2011!

Offcourse I've seen this build before. Thnx for jogging my memory.

Congrats on such a fine result with so many creative solutions!

Cheers,

Jeroen

Hey, thanks Jeroen! There are still things I'm unhappy with on this build, and I never was able to replace the canopy, but overall I'm pretty satisfied given the wrestling match it turned out to be.

Kev