Hasegawa Fw 190D-11 Conversion

LSP_Kevin

Hey, thanks fellas. I've done most of the repairs now, and because the red paint is quite fragile, I've given the whole thing several coats of clear gloss. I'm now ready to start painting the upper surfaces (when I get the chance!).

A quick question though, for those who may know. Did the Ta 152-style supercharger intake feature a weld seam of any prominence? My intake is currently baby-bum smooth, and I suspect it should have a weld seam along its centre line - but I'm not sure!

Kev

In the book Yellow10 by crandal there is a pic of the intake before it was wacked off by vandals and if there is a seam it is very faint.

As the D-13 had the same intake as the D-11 I think you should be good!

Your legs were mailed last week in a small small box so it shouldn't take too long buddy.

J

OK, Jerry's legs have arrived! (Well, you know what I mean...)

L5RIHk.jpg

And as a bonus, Jerry threw in a pair of resin gear doors so I don't have to deal with the uber clunky kit ones. Thanks Jerry! Both the legs and the doors are more accurate in length, will fit together better, and the legs have proper attachment stubs that give me half a chance of getting them fixed in place properly. The legs are also much better detailed than either of my other two options.

To celebrate, I started painting the topside camo:

zrOOSn.jpg

Once the green is on I'm down for gloss coating and decals. Mustn't forget the exhausts though...

Kev

Nice going Kev, those goodies of Jerry's look superb - especially the gear doors, be a nice addition to the Grey Matter range...

Actually, I think the landing gear doors are simply copies of the ones from the new-tool Hasegawa kit. I think Jerry just cast me a set as a favour, which has saved me a lot of potential work on the old-tool ones.

Well done Kev, big sigh of relief on the red paint..!

Thanks for your support Matt. In truth the red paint still has some issues that any contest judge is going to see immediately, and a more demanding modeller would have stripped the lot and started again. I probably should have too, but I just didn't have the heart for it. Believe it or not, this was meant to be a quick build alongside my 190S conversion! It's already gone on too long, and I'm keen to finish it, even if it has a few warts.

Kev

Thanks GM. I have to confess that I wasn't really a fan of the red-and-white undersides until I recently built the ProModeler 1/48 D-11 kit. But as soon as I pulled the masking tape off the reveal those vibrant stripes, I was hooked!

Kev

Looks so real. I wasnt aware that red would do that. Thanks for showing that.

Great looking build.

Oliver

Thanks Oliver, nice of you to say so!

The main painting stage is now complete, though I'm not especially happy with it (particularly after Ralph posted his finished Raiden):

gsY2PN.jpg

I've been practising my mottling and close-in airbrushing all week, and getting really good results on my paint mules. Of course, when it comes time for the real deal, I get nothing but paint splatter! It's hard to see in the photo, but the camo demarcations are very furry. Still, I think once I've got all the clear coats, decals and weathering on, it'll look suitably 'late war' rough.

Since taking this photo I've managed to drop the canopy, whereby the clear part and non-clear part, well, parted ways. Stupid two-piece sliding canopies! I take it the new-tool kit has a one-piece unit that simply needs painting, like most of the 1/48 kits? Anyway, I've re-glued them, but all that work to eliminate the seam between them has now been effectively wasted. Sigh. Kinda looking forward to seeing the back of this one now.

Kev

looks good from here. Cant tell about paint. You need to thin down your paint a little bit more then. what pressure are you painting at with airbrush.

Hi Oliver,

To be honest I think my airbrush just wasn't clean enough, especially after using it all week without stripping it down. Lesson learned: always strip and clean your airbrush before doing tricky freehand stuff!

Kev

Kevin, I think it looks great! The ONLY (and I looked hard!) place I can see any "fuzzy" demarcation is maybe on the left wing. Other than that (and it's very minimal......not noticeable unless someone specifically looks for it), keep pluggin' away!

John