Hasegawa Fw 190D-11 Conversion

LSP_Kevin

With a bit of momentum going on my Fw 190S conversion, I figured I could leverage that work and start this one as a concurrent build. Since this will be based off the old Hasegawa 'High Grade' hybrid kit, which is basically the even older Hasegawa 190A kit with a newly-tooled replacement Dora fuselage, much of the work required to fix up the rest of it is the same work required to fix up the basic parts of my 190S build. So, if I can do that work for both kits at the same time, I might make some decent progress on both builds without much additional effort. That's the theory, anyway!

Before I launch into the obligatory box contents photos, I'd like to acknowledge the contribution of Tim Valdez, without whose parts this would just be a straight D-9 build of no particular interest. Many thanks Tim! (I do think I might have lost/misplaced the gun barrels and intake though... unsure.gif )

Anyway, this it the base kit in question:

ew3PfR.jpg

As noted above, it's the old-tool Hasegawa 190A kit, with a replacement fuselage:

LXT8FK.jpg

It features neatly recessed surface detail, and is an order of magnitude better than the rest of the kit:

TBUPVz.jpg

If you built this straight out of the box, it would look very strange indeed! But, Hasegawa sweetens the deal, and earns the original 'High Grade' moniker, by throwing in a bunch of parts normally associated with the aftermarket:

Dmld2L.jpg

Rubber tyres, white metal landing gear, exhausts and prop blades, photo-etched detail parts. So far, all that makes for a slightly exotic D-9 build, but thanks to Tim, I have the following conversion and detail parts:

eVgzN1.jpg

On the left is the Verlinden detail set, and on the right is a D-11 conversion set (I'm not exactly sure of its provenance - JR's?).

Verlinden PE:

krGEOa.jpg

And finally, a set of Eagle Cals to make 'Red 4':

bR1HVV.jpg

That's it! Another one of my long-winded but where's the modelling? posts. Perhaps in the next update...

Kev

Wow you doing two at the same time. :clap2:

Better man than me I am struggling to keep track of the one!

Happy modelling - Taff :D

Thanks Taff! But in reality, I haven't had much success working on multiple kits in the past, so I'm probably kidding myself a little bit here, but hopefully with major parts of each kit being so similar, it'll be more like working on one for a lot of the time. :frantic:

Kev

Nice Kev,

I have that very same kit in the stash since year 2000 and I must admit that when I look at it now (especially its wings) and when I think about the price I paid for it back then... it hurts :doh:

Whish you good luck mate.

Buddy,

That is the Verlindon update set all right but that is not my D-11 set. Looks like my square tail conversion and my wheelwell upgrade for the ancient Hasegawa kit.

You will need a little more for the conversion to a D-11. IE,prop blades,flat gun hood,Ta152 style intake scoop,lower wing panel change between the wheelwells and the addition of 30mm guns at the outer wing stations. HTH<

J

Buddy,

That is the Verlindon update set all right but that is not my D-11 set. Looks like my square tail conversion and my wheelwell upgrade for the ancient Hasegawa kit.

You will need a little more for the conversion to a D-11. IE,prop blades,flat gun hood,Ta152 style intake scoop,lower wing panel change between the wheelwells and the addition of 30mm guns at the outer wing stations. HTH<

J

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your input. Here's what's in the box:

wJLbts.jpg

It looks like the cowling and wing panels are there (assuming they're actually the correct parts for a D-11...). Tim in fact did send me the correct intake scoop, but I can't for the life of me find it now. :BANGHEAD2: I'm still hoping it'll turn up in time.

I have to confess to knowing next to nothing about the particulars of the D-11 at this stage. Did it have the broad tail as supplied in the set? Also, the Hasegawa kit supplies a set of very broad white metal prop blades - are they not suitable for the D-11?

Sorry for the dumb questions!

Kev

Tim in fact did send me the correct intake scoop, but I can't for the life of me find it now. :BANGHEAD2: I'm still hoping it'll turn up in time.

Found it!

q0LIO8.jpg

I think the larger tubular parts are for the exposed cannon barrels through the wheel wells (assuming the D-11 had them). I'm not sure what the smaller part is for, but there's a matching one in the other box of parts, so I guess they're a pigeon pair of somethings.

Kev

Nice Kev,

I have that very same kit in the stash since year 2000 and I must admit that when I look at it now (especially its wings) and when I think about the price I paid for it back then... it hurts :doh:

Whish you good luck mate.

That was a factor in my decision to use this kit as a conversion mate. I figured I could get a better stock D-9 with less work by just using Hasegawa's latest kit. It made more sense to me to try to do something a little unusual with it (similar reasons for me using the old-tool kit for my 190S conversion). I guess my basic philosophy is, if you need to hack up a kit for a conversion, hack up a kit that needs hacking up anyway! (That's why I'm also planning to use Revell's ancient 109G-6 kit for a G-12 conversion, if Derek doesn't beat me to it.)

I had no idea that boxing was old tool, almost bought it on a couple of occasions. I've got the Montex D-11 conversion set, looking forward to this one, Kev!

It's not a terrible kit Mike, but it's definitely got a split personality. I was lucky in that our dear, late friend Russ sent this one to me as a gift, knowing that I wouldn't shy away from building it. But sensible folks would skip right past it and build the new-tool kit. I'd like to see you build that Montex conversion someday Mike!

Kev

Go Kev, go...

:popcorn: (all of this popcorn is making me fat...:lol: )

Derek

Hi Kevin,

I used the same Hasegawa kit for my TA-152-H conversion in 08. I'm eager to track your progress in building the D-11. :clap2:

Derek, Fam, good to have you aboard.

Kev

OK, first modelling post, which begins with tearing out the old wheel bays. Here's the wing we started with:

wyPPv7.jpg

And here it is after being attacked by a barely-controlled Dremel:

OzQa3N.jpg

And test-fitting Jerry's replacement wing centre section:

99dLkp.jpg

Not too bad! Lots of clean-up work to be done on the inside, and then I'll start checking the geometry of everything to make sure I don't glue anything in crookedly. Fitting the replacement wheel bays should be an easier deal here than it was on the 190S.

As always, thanks for checking in.

Kev

It looks to me like those are the gun hood parts for my old D-9 exposed engine set.That set corrected the shape of the old Hasegawa"dolly parton"D-9 gun hood but are not right for a D-11 as they had no fuselage mounted guns, The metal props with the kit are for the D-9 and not the D-11,sorry. The barrel parts from me are indeed the cannon barrel sleves that you would see in the D-9/11/13 Ta152 wheelwells. The leather covered version in the newer kits is bogus. The smaller struts are the later style landing gear retractor arms for the D-9/11/13. There are no known pics of a D-11 with the broader tail. This was a mistake on my part about 15 years ago when I first started making aircraft parts. Sorry! It's nice to see my antique parts being used but I must say that I cringe when I look at them here. Looks like fun though.

J

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for info. It looks like I don't have to go through the trauma of removing the tail after all!

It looks to me like those are the gun hood parts for my old D-9 exposed engine set.That set corrected the shape of the old Hasegawa"dolly parton"D-9 gun hood but are not right for a D-11 as they had no fuselage mounted guns

I can't get a photo up right now, but the resin gun cover is completely flat on top, with no bulges for guns whatsoever, and only slight bulges out to the sides. Isn't that the correct configuration for the D-11?

Kev