Trumpeter P-51B Mustang III Painting Guide

phantomfan

Hi all guys,

this morning I was inspecting my Trumpeter P-51B kit (Kit #02283 Mustang III) and I have discovered that the painting & markings guide it is not provided...

This is a separate sheet than the building instruction, printed in colors on glossy paper.

For me a scan will be enough but if anyone has that page stored somewhere, I gladly pay any shipping cost to receive that.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Marco

I have that kit. Let me see if it fits in my scanner and I'll make you a copy. How much of a rush are you in as it may take a day or two to get it?

Edit: Found a link with them on-line so here you go:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10081788t2/60/2

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10081788t4/60/4

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR

Hi Carl,

thanks, I have seen the images of 199.co.jp they are good but I was hoping for something a little better.

I don't know if the page will fit a regular scanner, if that is A4 size it will work for sure.

In any case, do not worry, I can wait till you can do that.

Thanks.

Marco

I've got a solution....put the cover back on the box, walk to your nearest recycling center and toss it in the bin. Then wait until Tamiya releases a P-51B. Yes, that's how bad the Trumpeter P-51B is. Just kidding of course :speak_cool: but there are some serious issues with the kit. If you're not aware of them, you will be (best Yoda voice).

Hi Marco,

be patient till tomorrow. I need to do the scan in the office.

The paint instruction is in A3.

Did you finish the P-51 Miss Marilyn II.

Salute

Ralph

Hi Ralph,

probably I have a copy of that guide inbound from a my friend, I think I have solved the problem.

Anyway I am not building the Miss Marylin II, coould be someone else with a similar ID...

Thanks anyway for the help.

I've got a solution....put the cover back on the box, walk to your nearest recycling center and toss it in the bin. Then wait until Tamiya releases a P-51B. Yes, that's how bad the Trumpeter P-51B is. Just kidding of course :speak_cool: but there are some serious issues with the kit. If you're not aware of them, you will be (best Yoda voice).

Hi hope Tamiya will release a B very soon, till then the Trumpeter is the only option and I will go for it trying to solve the main issues...hmmm.gif

Anyway, thanks for the wise suggestion...thumbsup.gif

I have a little time to burn before heading out for dinner.

Here are some issues as I recall

The rear windows are not tall enough and could stand scratch replacments

The typical wheel well issue is there as with all kit except tam. Pretty easy fix through AM or scratch.

Gear doors are miss shaped. I ignored this. To hard to fix.

Inner leading edge of wing has no dihedral. I ignored this also.

Cockpit is lacking. Edwards set is a good start to fixing this.

Carb intake under spinner is far to small. Tough to fix. I didnt find a solution.

Top of cowl is to pointy. No fix known outside milliput and some creative juices.

HTH.

Got to go.

Ron

Ron's list is an excellent overview of the main issues. Two more I found:

- the exhausts are not aligned properly, so that they angle up from the panel lines. A bit of a tedious fix but looks much better when straightened

- the bottom of the rear fuselage is too square. A little filing and sanding to round out the corners improves things there.

Lone Star sells some excellent resin bits for this kit, including a nice cockpit, corrected wheel wells and an absolutely beautiful Malcolm hood complete with rails.

I just received my Eduard coloured photo etch, and they will add a lot of realism to the cockpit.

That also means I have no more excuses for procrastinating about building my Mustang III for the Mustang Madness GB...

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

Lone Star sells some excellent resin bits for this kit, including a nice cockpit, corrected wheel wells and an absolutely beautiful Malcolm hood complete with rails.

Hi Richard,

is the Malcolm Hood a separate set or enclosed with the cockpit?

I cannot find the pictures on LS website...

Thanks.

Marco

That's interesting, but you're right, it's no longer on his website. It was a separate set, and came with the rails. Maybe if you contact him directly he might still have them? That would be too bad if he was no longer producing them.

Richard