Hasegawa J2M3 Raiden Finished 9/5/13

Daywalker

After a long hiatus from this one, I pulled it back out of the box a couple of weeks ago to have another look at it. The rather complicated assembly of the cowl and engine fan/ducting was giving me fits! Once I sat down and actually studied the instructions (last resort LOL) it all clicked together! After that was sorted out, I turned my attention to the wings. The gun panel inserts did not fit well, needing spacers both underneath them as well as around them. Then, the wings were assembled and glued to the fuselage. There was a nasty step between the wing and the fuselage bottom, but the upper wings fit almost perfectly to the fuselage sides. No filler at all was needed here! The rollover bar (is that what it is called?) is assembled to the rear upper cockpit area, and this did not fit very well. I remember Ralph Riese having trouble here too, and I took his advice and spent some time trying to analyze the problem. After filing down the tab on the antenna which fit into a slot in the rear bulkhead, I was able to raise up the bar to meet the fuselage height. A tiny spacer was required to fill a gap here, but now it is ready to have the canopy pieces installed. The tail parts are now on (fit very well too) and here she is as she stands, beginning to look like a proper airplane now!

004-2.jpg

001-3.jpg

002-3.jpg

003-2.jpg

005-1.jpg

Wow, Frank, glad you brought this one back out. I love it. I think it looks real cool. Good work ( but thats nothing new). Can't wait to see more.............Harv

Frank, This ones going to be a beaut! When I finally burn out on WWII USAAF aircraft, I have a steadily growing fleet of IJAAF and IJN Kits to build, and I have most of the subjects you've built bookmarked as a guide on how to do them!

Glad to see you back at this one and all the best to you and your build. :)

Paul

It's not even finished and it already looks beter than the one I've build!

Can't recall having such issues with the parts you've mentioned ( not that I didn't had issues but my memory is not what it used to be :mental: ), but I do recall having a hard time attaching the wings to the fuselage because of those bars "with teeth" (I don't know how you call it in English). And the decals on the tail were a pain after sliding of its place after applying Sol.

Best of luck with the build! ( nice to see a Japanese plane again here on LSP!)

Best regards.

Wow, Frank, glad you brought this one back out. I love it. I think it looks real cool. Good work ( but thats nothing new). Can't wait to see more.............Harv

Thank you Harv, it sure feels good to be enjoying it once again! Gotta get 'er done before the George arrives this fall- I can't wait!

NICE!

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Thank you Brian, and thanks for stopping by!

Frank

Nice to see the Raiden back on the bench and getting your masterful touch

Keep 'em coming

Thanks Peter, I am hoping to get her ready for paint soon, I am Jones'ing to paint something!

Nice work Frank! Looks a great kit, this one.

Kev

Cheers Kev, it's one of the best ones I have seen from hasegawa so far. I can only hope the rest of their releases are this good.

That is looking great - that cockpit detail is fantastic - hard to believe it is hand painted - you must have super steady hands.

Thank you, only when I am not drinking coffee (which is not very often LOL). I think being a Jeweler helps me too.

Frank, This ones going to be a beaut! When I finally burn out on WWII USAAF aircraft, I have a steadily growing fleet of IJAAF and IJN Kits to build, and I have most of the subjects you've built bookmarked as a guide on how to do them!

Glad to see you back at this one and all the best to you and your build. :)

Paul

Cheers Paul, you are TOO kind! I too love these Japanese subjects, and have multiples of many of Hasegawa's kits. Their pilot figures have gotten MUCH better too, if only I could paint one well enough to put him in the cockpit.

Hi Frank.

Looking good....Very nice details.

Marcelo :piliot:

Thank you Marcelo, I do appreciate that!

It's not even finished and it already looks beter than the one I've build!

Can't recall having such issues with the parts you've mentioned ( not that I didn't had issues but my memory is not what it used to be :mental: ), but I do recall having a hard time attaching the wings to the fuselage because of those bars "with teeth" (I don't know how you call it in English). And the decals on the tail were a pain after sliding of its place after applying Sol.

Best of luck with the build! ( nice to see a Japanese plane again here on LSP!)

Best regards.

Thank you, great little (OK, large) kit to build. Not without a few hiccups, and I thank all of you who have gone before me to help point them out ahead of time. I know what you mean about those finger-like locating tabs, I saw Ralph Riese remove some of them to help locate things- some tend to get in the way. When I mounted the wing, I remember now that I removed them all to allow some "wiggle" room. And I agree with the Japanese kits, they do stand out and I hope to build them all in 1/32! As Hasegawa nears the end of 1/32 IJN and IJAAF fighter kits, I'm hoping Revell soon turns to some Japanese bombers in 1/32 like the Ki-46, Ki-45, Gekko, Betty, etc...

• 1 month later...

Oh i missed this one ... she looks great i love the shape of this plane

Thanks Neo! Just finished sorting out a few little issues from the build, plan to mask up the canopy and start painting her this weekend. Really looking forward to beating this one up.