M24 Chaffee (WAK)

Tomek

Guest Peterpools

Tomek

Hope your doing better and stay off the ice - it's for kids with rubber arms and legs!

The K rations crates look tremendous and the tutorial is fascinating. Sure wish I was more computer savvy to be able to do what you do so perfectly.

Thank you for the PDF files .. I'm soon to purchase a new color printer and then I'm going to give them a go

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Thanks guys!

Peter, I don't think you can keep me away from the ice rink. It was too much fun, and I can't wait to get back. Next time I will try to warm up at least ;-).

Regarding CorelDraw, it's a new software for me, but it seems learning the basics is quite easy. I can imagine it could be a perfect tool for designing your own decals - it's a vector graphic program as Illustrator, but cost only fraction of it. I can only recommend it.

Back to the build. I finally managed to scratch-build missing from the kit element - the drivers screen, which was installed in front of the drivers's door. I don't know if this particular tank had such screen. WWII photos show Chafs with and without the screen. I think the screen adds nice detail to the tank. I did not find any good reference photos of the detail, so much of the work is just my interpretation  :innocent: .

I need to match the paint with the tank color at this point, but I think I can manage. The screen is still missing plexiglass panel in it.

IMG_4148_zps06971c62.jpg

Some tools:

tools_zpsce2c6df6.jpg

I used again CorelDraw to design duffle & musette bags.

bagscreenshot_zpsf9f5c727.jpg

I'm fairly happy with the duffle bag, but not so much with smaller guys. They seem too square. Back to the drawing board then.

IMG_4158_zps13740fa0.jpg

Thanks for looking in! 

Guest Peterpools

Tomek

Holy Cow, the detail on the drivers window is something you never see and footprints .. another first for sure. Thank you for the inof on CorelCraw, something to look into for sure

Keep 'em coming

peter

Hi mate just catching up with this glad to see you back at the Paper Mill.

Stunning work and love the illustration work. Tomek if you have a phot package (Photoshop) – Try pulling your image into it. Think Corel make their own version, which would be a lot cheaper. It's easier to add some texture, shadow, stains, stitching etc.

Pretty cool and I like that a lot – keep um coming Taff :D 

Thanks for your warm comments  ^_^

Taffy, thanks for looking in. Yeah, I could use Photoshop, but I'm really out of touch with the new version - last one I used was 2 or something. For now, I'm commited to learn Corel. I just found that in the Corel suit there is a module, Photo-Paint, that have similar functionality as Photoshop. I wanted to do some overspray of the lettering on the crates and Photo-Paint may just do the trick. I'll try to update with improved creates when done. I may try as well some stains, etc.

Maru, maybe tweaking finger prints would work, but I don't know if I could get repeatable results - all boot prints should be the same, except the size of course. I think the amount of the paint, as well as its consistency are important (just as in regular stamps). I made here several mistakes for sure. Maybe next time!

Tomek

Fantastic work, you're a wizard with paper, card, scraps etc.

For boot prints, have you considered a stencil? You could then drybrush/scrumble (is that a word?) the mud on through it...

Matt

Thanks guys!

Thanks Matt for the stencil suggestion. I'm not surprised I haven't thought about - after all it's a plastic modeling technique  :DodgeBall: . 

I'll give it a try!

Thinking about arrangement of all the equipment. I wasn't able to reproduce well tow cable myself, so I ordered one. Package on the way. The net was inspired by re-watching TV series Band of Brothers  ;)  

IMG_4168_zps292cb22f.jpg

IMG_4169_zps06769467.jpg