English Electric Lightning F6

Butler

Thanks Tomek!

Next up is the intake ring. I've made this from two strips of Pepsi Max steel can material - the first strip is slightly curved and gives a conical shape when joined into a circle. The join will be covered by the pitot socket.

The other steel strip is a straight line and forms a tube when joined in a circle, this then fits inside the first ring to form the inside of the intake ring. A bit of CA holds them together and the finished intake ring is a push fit onto the beast's nose.

This does leave a slight ridge which doesn't exist on the real plane, but i think reflections off the very shiny surface will cover this up nicely!

DSCN1302.jpg

Here you can see the finished ring temporarily in place.

I've given this a coat of paint (ignore the colours in this photo, they don't really match real life!) using some masks made of normal paper. I stick these on by cutting out small squares from the paper then sticking masking tape over the hole, this does let the edges raise slightly and has given a very subtle feathered edge. The real thing has very crisp paint edges but in my opinion this equals toy when applied to a model :)

You can also see a paper template for the windscreen and a canopy frame made from thin styrene sheet. I might have a go at glazing this if i can find some clear plastic packaging with the right curve moulded in! (just to tide over until Iain's vac version is available ;) )

DSCN1295.jpg

Splash of Klear and the top is ready for decals. I've used the Hannants own brand ones which are very thin but a bit out of register (haven't seen that for a while). I've also got their stencil sheet which looks superb :)

DSCN1304.jpg

This whole thread is just so inspiring I'm at loss for words. And the Klear-soaked paper trick is just neat. I'm pretty convinced that can be used for regular plastic kits as well (Or kids toys, as you call them :rolleyes: )

Kyrre

Your capacity to innoate and try new ideas seems endless, mate ! :bow:

Been following this build since the start (and don't know why I did not leave any comment so far: probably too gobsmacked to type :blink: ), and its a joy thourgh and through !

I always loved the Lightning, but could not get the resolve of spending what was asked for a not too accurate kit: your approach is probably the right one !

Keep going !:thumbsup:

Hubert.

Mate, this is incredible stuff! I can't believe how fast you're putting this together - and from scratch! Amazing. Makes me feel incredibly feeble.

Kev

What Kevin said really.

This is mind blowing my friend!

Looks incredible !

Thanks guys! It's a bit rough up close, hence why there's no close-up pictures ;) I'm half way through applying the stencils now and they break up the surface finish a bit, disguising some rough areas!

This whole thread is just so inspiring I'm at loss for words. And the Klear-soaked paper trick is just neat. I'm pretty convinced that can be used for regular plastic kits as well (Or kids toys, as you call them :rolleyes: )

Kyrre

Cheers Kyrre

The 'kids toy' comment refers to anything below 1:32 scale ;)

I think the paper would work on plastic kits too, once it's soaked up the Klear it can be sanded smooth and you don't get any paper texture. I used this method just because it's easier to cut the printed paper straight off the sheet

Your capacity to innoate and try new ideas seems endless, mate ! :bow:

Been following this build since the start (and don't know why I did not leave any comment so far: probably too gobsmacked to type :blink: ), and its a joy thourgh and through !

I always loved the Lightning, but could not get the resolve of spending what was asked for a not too accurate kit: your approach is probably the right one !

Keep going !:thumbsup:

Hubert.

Thanks Hubert! I have to make up some shortcuts because i'm too impatient to do things properly!

Those Trumpeters are quite expensive but I am tempted by a Trumpeter F1 if I can find one cheap, maybe with all the panels open to show the insides? Hmmm

I think the paper would work on plastic kits too, once it's soaked up the Klear it can be sanded smooth and you don't get any paper texture. I used this method just because it's easier to cut the printed paper straight off the sheet

F-16 strengthening plates comes to mind. The soaking and sanding thing isn't unlike how for instance Bakelite seats were made back in the old days, I have been told. Klear is just a clear acrylic agent, which will work as any other plastic if built up in sufficient layers.

Enought rambling. Keep doing your thing, please.

Kyrre