Saab J29 Tunnan

OldTroll

Just do it :coolio:

It's not THAT difficult... And you can master it. Or not. :popcorn:

Just collecting my own dents and scratches with a paper-to-plastic project :beer4:

Regards!

- dutik

Thanks Dutik...I can hear Yoda in my head already!:lol:

Derek

:thumbsup:

BTW:

You can have the best of both worlds: Go with Tiggers vacu for the shell and use the paper kit as a template for the interior, u/c and other details. To have a vacu as a starting point is very nice shortcut. Would also be a wise move to scan the paper kit first to make your own decals.

Regards!

- dutik

:thumbsup:

BTW:

You can have the best of both worlds: Go with Tiggers vacu for the shell and use the paper kit as a template for the interior, u/c and other details. To have a vacu as a starting point is very nice shortcut. Would also be a wise move to scan the paper kit first to make your own decals.

Regards!

- dutik

All very good points Dutik, thanks for pointing them out. There is an enormous amount of work required to master the Tunnen - it is still a pretty large chunk of resin in /32 scale. Unless people are prepared to put their money where there mouths are, so to speak, it would end up being a labour of love for me (the Tunnen may not be at the top of everyone's wish list, no matter how much I would personally like to have one myself?). I need to know that it is worthwhile me going through all of the pain to make and market it before I can even contemplate such a thing - so it is down to you guys in the end I guess?

Thanks

Derek

Sounds like a new kind of AMS: "I have to make a master for that kit".

Hmm, ever considered to make a Tunnan just for yourself and your shelf? For fun, not for sale? :coolio:

Years ago there was an interview with Joe Sojka inside Fine Scale Modeller (Nov. 1996, to be true). He made masters for Revell-Monogram, the quarterscale planes and cars too :goodjob: But beside this he also scratchbuild a lot of aircraft models that never were intended to be part of Revell-Monograms line. Just for fun and his shelf :beer:

Have fun!

- dutik

Sounds like a new kind of AMS: "I have to make a master for that kit".

Hmm, ever considered to make a Tunnan just for yourself and your shelf? For fun, not for sale? :coolio:

Years ago there was an interview with Joe Sojka inside Fine Scale Modeller (Nov. 1996, to be true). He made masters for Revell-Monogram, the quarterscale planes and cars too :goodjob: But beside this he also scratchbuild a lot of aircraft models that never were intended to be part of Revell-Monograms line. Just for fun and his shelf :beer:

Have fun!

- dutik

Yes I would like to make one for myself, and that may very well be exactly what I shall do!:beer:

Cheers

Derek

Edited by Derek B

I know I would buy any of the Swedish planes in the Saab line up, Tunnan, Draken, Viggen (o baby baby o baby) and even the Saab 105, very cool in the Splinter camo. I could maybe go for a Lansen, but not as much as the rest. There was that prototype or ? of the Gripen, but where and when will that come out?

Make the Tunnan so we can do both Swedish and the Nato African service and you may get more interest, but it really is pretty obscure. Unfortunately, that is what I like best.

Tnarg

I know I would buy any of the Swedish planes in the Saab line up, Tunnan, Draken, Viggen (o baby baby o baby) and even the Saab 105, very cool in the Splinter camo. I could maybe go for a Lansen, but not as much as the rest. There was that prototype or ? of the Gripen, but where and when will that come out?

Make the Tunnan so we can do both Swedish and the Nato African service and you may get more interest, but it really is pretty obscure. Unfortunately, that is what I like best.

Tnarg

Yeah, I like the obscure too Grant. If I had my way (and this is only my personal preference here), I would have pretty much the whole Saab line up of jets from the J-29 to the JAS-39 (I'd probably throw the 105 - which is actually a very cool little aircraft - and the J-21 as well for good measure!). However, my head says that any chance of a possibility of selling any of these aircraft types would rely on the Draken, Viggen, Gripen and Tunnen - probably in that order?

Derek

The Draken in 1/48 scale has been a total palette of amazing color from the decal companies and Hasegawa themselves. You have the red and white Austrian machine, the way cool dragon under the red Danish machine, the Danish flag covered Draken and the Finnish machine with the Bull on top, then the crazy Swedish blue machine with the skull on top, even the yellow one with fish on top. Add to that an early B machine with the splinter camo and even the variation of recon versus fighter and there are way too many interesting options for the Draken.

I like the Viggen, especially the two seater and the recon versions, and that splinter camo is a mountain to climb, but a very beautiful one. There are plenty of other interesting machines without that camouflage for the more faint of heart. I know I threw away one 1/48 kit 20 years ago when the primer didn't hold onto the paint and my masking pulled up everything.

I think your order makes sense. The danger is that Trumpeter will make them before you do, bad for you, probably good for the rest of us (but only in the short term, since we really like your stuff and want more of it).

Tnarg

Well, it does have a certain, er, gravitas:

3120626.jpg

Charles Metz

Nice picture Charlie :speak_cool: (I know that I can always rely on your grammatical and linguistic phrasiology abilities to come up with a very suitable word/verb/noun for any given situation! :lol: ).

Cheers

Derek

Materials deffo - I would prefer Styrene then resin in 32nd scale

wouldn't buy any other - but would not buy a Vac one - don't like mud bricks either..rolleyes.gif

Ads

Hi Adam,

Just some thouts here...I really have no idea how much it would cost to produce one of these things in plastic - it would also change the way that it is mastered as well - resin provides you with a large number of kit break down options, whereas injection moulding severly limits this (and, like vacform kits, there are draw limitations with injection moulding that are not an issue with resin kits).

Having said all of that, a very well thought out and produced Tunnen in plastic would be stunning and most likely out sell one made in any other media :speak_cool:

Regards

Derek