Saab J29 Tunnan

OldTroll

The Pitts S2B thread had many references to a desire for a Saab J29 Tunnan in large scale. Well....

Good news for the Tunnan fans - IPMS Austria has a 1:33 version in their online store. Bad(?) news for many of you is that it is a paper model, albeit a well-detailed, excellent model. I have all of their paper offerings and all are "top shelf" with gorgeous printing, clear, complete, well-illustrated instructions and, in some cases, multiple versions of the model available. Check it out here - IPMS Austria in the "Card Modelling" category. If nothing else the paper model could serve as an accurate pattern for a plastic scratch build ala the Curtiss Helldiver elsewhere in the WIP forum.

Edited by OldTroll

Thanks for the link Ron! I think I may have to purchase the card model and do exactly as you suggest. I have Tigger's vac kit, so I could use the card model as a template for detail parts. Big Matt (and Russ before him) has certainly shown how it can be done.

Kev

One of my dreams is a Tunnan is 1:32 plastic/resin. I was infatuated after the 1:72 Matchbox kit when I was a kid.

hi Jim, check "tiggers" line of vacs, there's a Tunnan around!!

hi Jim, check "tiggers" line of vacs, there's a Tunnan around!!

Yes, I have it, and it's basic in the extreme. Turning it into a model will be a tremendous amount of work - only one notch above a scratch-build. In some ways it may be easier to use the card kit as the basis for a scratch build, a la Big Matt's Helldiver. I'm keen to tackle mine, but it's probably beyond me at this stage. This card kit could be my saviour!

Kev

I know of Tiggers Tunnan, and it had crossed my mind to do this, but I also have the Tigger Hampden, which is a higher priority for me. If no one does do an injection/resin Tunnan, then I'll have to bite the bullet.

BTW, Saab lovers, IPMS Austria also has the Lansen and the Draken (in three gorgeous schemes) all in 1:33 and paper. Beautiful models. In case you were wondering why I don't post photos of my completed models it's because my skill level is probably not high enough yet. At 69 years old I just hope I can do them in the time I have left...

That's right! I forgot to mention the Saab TSR-2...LOL. That is a most impressive model BTW. Not to pimp excessively for IPMS Austria but they also have some free accessory downloads for some of their paper models. The most noteworthy is probably the full interior for the Fairey Rotodyne.

They also have the Pilatus PC-6 in 1/33.

Am I correct in believing that this was one of the planes the CIA used in the Vietnam war for their airline, Air America?

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

In reality the Pilatus PC-6 wasn't used in "air america" operations IIRC, only in the feature film, but instead the Helio Courier was very active in those days......

J.

• 4 weeks later...

One of my all time favourite aircraft the Tunnan...I'm sooo tempted to do this kit, but it will take me a long time to master and would not be cheap either - that's what is really stopping me from seriously considering doing one at the moment (same for the Draken, which is equal favourite with the Tunnen). The card/paper 1/33 scale models should look brilliant when completed.

Derek