1:32 Hasegawa J2M3 Raiden

Ralph Riese

There's no secret here, you're one of my favourite posters on this forum as your paint work is always incredibly inspiration Ralph. The scheme you've chosen really adds another dimension to this corpulent fighter. I'm assuming you're going to be weathering this bird?

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks Gents.

Wolf: don't know where this one's going quite yet. Can't really see it as a new prototype, but can't see it as a war-weary hack either. Will spray the markings and add the kit stencil decals and see how things look. Might try something with Tamiya's acrylic flat (which seems to have more of an eggshell sheen than a dead flat finish) and semigloss clears - thinking of using them as tinted filters. One step at a time for now. Cheers, Ralph.

your paint work is always incredibly inspiration Ralph.

Absolutely. Its amazing how neat and well finished evereything is. I find myself trying much harder to get to the same standard. Bad luck with the profile...of course...just after you painted. :rolleyes: Still looks great to me.

Oh...after you mentioned the Tamiya enamels for drybrusing I've tried some. They do work well...thanks.

Cheers Matty

Thanks for your interest and encouragement - much needed after today's painting session. Basic markings were sprayed using Tamiya acrylics: XF-2 Flat White warmed with a drop of XF-80 Royal Light Grey to help cover the orange, and an 80:20 mix of XF-7 Flat Red and XF-64 Red Brown for the red. Masks were provided by Miracle Paint Masks in the UK (thanks Mal). Virtually no tonal variation this time - finding it very challenging to model a clean subject. Enough waffle...

1S-24.jpg

3S-24.jpg

2S-24.jpg

4S-24.jpg

5S-25.jpg

I got the tail code measurements completely wrong, so will have to repaint the area and order new masks. The pics should help to get the size right second time around.

6S-23.jpg

Thanks again for dropping in. Cheers, Ralph.

Almost ready to add the engine...

1S-25.jpg

2S-25.jpg

Mottled the firewall with Tamiya's XF-10 Flat Brown and XF-22 German Grey to break up the orange and add some shadow behind the exhaust stubs.

3S-25.jpg

No Wolf-engine-magic here, just OOB as only the exhaust stubs and cooling fins will be visible. Everything was painted with Floquil's Old Silver. Exhaust pipes were then overcoated with Tamiya's XF-85 Rubber Black. Ends were dusted with a thin 1:1 mix of XF-55 Deck Tan and XF-60 Dark Yellow, followed by a blending wash of Vallejo 70826 German Cam Medium Brown. To add some contrast, front cooling fins were painted Games Workshop Mithril Silver; back ones Boltgun Metal.

4S-25.jpg

5S-26.jpg

6S-24.jpg

The slot was painted Boltgun Metal and then washed with Citadel Babab Black, and the (?) pipes painted Vallejo 70822 German Cam Black Brown. Hard to see the mottling/shadowing against the gloss orange, but hope it will pop out with the flat coat.

Thanks again for looking. Cheers, Ralph.