1:32 Hasegawa J2M3 Raiden

Ralph Riese

Hasegawa's new J2M3 Raiden. Apologies to those who might already have seen it on HS Plastic Pics. So far a nice, simple kit...

1-76.jpg

4-73.jpg

Upper and lower wing panels needed some 5 thou card for a snug fit.

5-68.jpg

A few sneaky knockout pin marks...

6-66.jpg

Kit cockpit undercoated in Tamiya's X-18 Semigloss Black.

1-77.jpg

Basecoated in 50:50 XF-2 Flat White and XF-71 Cockpit Green; postshaded with 50:50 XF-2 and XF-14 IJA Grey, then straight XF-71, and finally some 50:50 XF-57 Buff and Gunze Sangyo H66 RLM79 Sandy Brown. All "filtered" with Sin Industries P244 Green for Light Green. Details picked out with Vallejo acrylics.

5-69.jpg

Overall colour may not be a good representation of the Mitsubishi interior green. Most likely should have plumbed for something darker. FS24098 has been kindly suggested.

HAS32RaidenJ2M3prototype.jpg

Aiming for this one. Any help identifying the overall "yellow" would be much appreciated (is it a printing issue for the strong orange-yellow trainer colour, or were the prototypes painted in a yellow-yellow colour?).

Comments welcome as always. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Ralph.

Love your work, Ralph.

'Basecoated in 50:50 XF-2 Flat White and XF-71 Cockpit Green; postshaded with 50:50 XF-2 and XF-14 IJA Grey, then straight XF-71, and finally some 50:50 XF-57 Buff and Gunze Sangyo H66 RLM79 Sandy Brown. All "filtered" with Sin Industries P244 Green for Light Green.'

I can't tell you how much I appreciate this insight.

'FS24098 has been kindly suggested.'

To tint or not to tint? That is the question!

Sincerely,

Mark

Hey Ralph, this isn't hyperscale you know!

What has happened to the 110? Nice photography on the cockpit mate, is sort of inspiring me to get a camera up to the task of taking photos of scale models instead of `party' or `nightscene' settings.

Would love to see what you could do with a fast jet.

Eric.

Hasegawa's new J2M3 Raiden. Apologies to those who might already have seen it on HS Plastic Pics. So far a nice, simple kit...

1-76.jpg

4-73.jpg

Upper and lower wing panels needed some 5 thou card for a snug fit.

5-68.jpg

A few sneaky knockout pin marks...

6-66.jpg

Kit cockpit undercoated in Tamiya's X-18 Semigloss Black.

1-77.jpg

Basecoated in 50:50 XF-2 Flat White and XF-71 Cockpit Green; postshaded with 50:50 XF-2 and XF-14 IJA Grey, then straight XF-71, and finally some 50:50 XF-57 Buff and Gunze Sangyo H66 RLM79 Sandy Brown. All "filtered" with Sin Industries P244 Green for Light Green. Details picked out with Vallejo acrylics.

5-69.jpg

Overall colour may not be a good representation of the Mitsubishi interior green. Most likely should have plumbed for something darker. FS24098 has been kindly suggested.

HAS32RaidenJ2M3prototype.jpg

Aiming for this one. Any help identifying the overall "yellow" would be much appreciated (is it a printing issue for the strong orange-yellow trainer colour, or were the prototypes painted in a yellow-yellow colour?).

Comments welcome as always. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Ralph.

Hi Ralph,

I used Mr color #58 Orangeyellow on my Sam prototype . It`s a little brite but I`m sure that`s the color for all proto type japanese A/C.

Willi

Edited by miamiangler

Ralph,

For what it is worth, I checked my copy of the IPMS Color Cross reference Guide, June 1988.

Pgs.60, 61, Table 31a, Japan, WWII, N.18 Red Orange for Trainers, experimental aircraft & rare use on Hinoramus, shows nearest FS number to match would be FS31400 or Munsell 7.5 R 5/12, calling it a 'Good match'.

References: JAAF-JNAF Colors letter to the editor, PAM News International, issue unknown, p1005. Also color data provided by Don Thorpe, June 1987; Munsell Book of Color, Neighboring Hues Edition, Matte Finish Collection, 1970.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37

There were some experimentals that were painted in the same ID orange yellow for example the Japanese comet. there`s also( yellow Ochre) FS33415 or Medium yellow but no FS#the Japanese color chart in The Thorpe book is A16.It also depends if the aircraft is from late 1944 to early 1945 the A/C were painted overall yellow or Orange. But to me a proto type A/c would be a a/c that is being produced in small numbers as an experimental would be one A/C. that`s my thinking I HTH but a cool choice of scheme :speak_cool:

Willi

Edited by miamiangler