Tamiya Spitfire Mk IXc

aldur

Hi all,

It's been a while since I last shared a WIP, but here is my latest effort.

It's the well known Tamiya Spitfire Mk IXc with some extras.

I'll be using a lot of the Barracuda Studios detail sets for the Spitfire: the seat, cockpit door, cockpit upgrade set, rocker covers with RR logos and 4-slot main wheels.

For markings I'll be using the Montex Barrels & Masks set which include metal turned barrels. It's the first time I'll be using masks for the main markings, so I'm a bit nervous about that, but I guess patience will be my best friend.

So here are the pictures of the finished cockpit.

The seat has been painted tamiya XF9 Hull Red with the back padding in tire black, the seatbelt XF57 Buff, the back frame is painted in alclad II aluminum. The rest is XF71 Cockpit Green (IJN). It all has been given a wash/filter with diluted XF68 NATO Brown.

The black wire in the cockpit set is a bit to thick to be used in the control column, there I used thinner copper wire painted black, but it was perfect for the hydraulic lines for the retract quadrant.

_MG_9676.jpg

_MG_9683.jpg

_MG_9690.jpg

_MG_9694.jpg

_MG_9699.jpg

_MG_9702.jpg

_MG_9704.jpg

_MG_9706.jpg

The fuselage has been joined, and most of the wing and the tail are also together, ready to be joined. The engine is mostly build but now needs painting and (I'll try) detailing.

That's it for now. Thanks for watching.

Groeten,

Ian

A couple of comments if I may Ian. First let me compliment you on the work you've done so far! It's nice to see someone else workin' on this fantastic kit. The wires that Roy supplies for the pneumatic lines for the control column do work, they're just a real snug fit. I thought I was going to break the control column getting them through the holes but a little twisting and a good set of tweezers got the job done. Either way, yours looks great. The last thing I want to say is you can't use those markings! I'm using them and I started mine first. LOL!!!! JUst kidding of course. I also have the Montex masking set for VZ O B so it'll be interesting to see how you find using them. It'll be my first try with them as well.

Good luck with your build, I'll be following along as you go.popcorn.gif

Cheers,

Wolf

Edited by Wolf Buddee

A couple of comments if I may Ian. First let me compliment you on the work you've done so far! It's nice to see someone else workin' on this fantastic kit. The wires that Roy supplies for the pneumatic lines for the control column do work, they're just a real snug fit. I thought I was going to break the control column getting them through the holes but a little twisting and a good set of tweezers got the job done. Either way, yours looks great. The last thing I want to say is you can't use those markings! I'm using them and I started mine first. LOL!!!! JUst kidding of course. I also have the Montex masking set for VZ O B so it'll be interesting to see how you find using them. It'll be my first try with them as well.

Good luck with your build, I'll be following along as you go.popcorn.gif

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks Wolf,

It is indeed a fantastic kit and your build has been an inspiration (as some other great builds on this great forum). I was indeed afraid of breaking the control column in half if I forced them true. It's going to be interesting indeed on how the markings are working out. For me the painting is still a way of and last night I discovered that the 2 radiator fairings are not in the box, so I have to go and look for some replacements.

Not much to show for now. The wing is together (except the missing fairings), the engine mount and firewall has been glued and the engine is painted black. I'll post pictures of those when there all done.

Groeten.

Ian