HUNTER T7!

PhilB

Here we go again!

I've copied the "shouty" type title from Big Matt!

I've had this sitting in the stash for some time and I am fed up to the back teeth of painting yellow tips on props!

So its flamethrowers for a while (No I am stiil going to work on the 1/32 Mossie Doug!)

Im using the base Revell F6 kit and the luvly Fisher conversion.

Really nice kit the F6 single seater and as they say on Tv here's one I made earlier.

P3100617.jpg

Now I'll play the usual silly game of "guess the scheme" so a couple of you who know about it please keep quiet until Andy, Derek or Roy guesses it in about 2 minutes!

First clue.

Lets have a bit of music.

First job is to sort out all the parts for the cockpit.

Main tub:

P9163670.jpg

P9163671.jpg

Fisher give you pe levers for the throttle, flaps and the other one but only show rod for a handle on the throttle.

I've added rod to the other two to match the pictures I have of a T7 pit.

These parts are very thin so care is needed.

The Hunter pit is black, black and a bit more black so its been drybrushed with silver and various bits picked out with a bit of colour.

Sidewalls are like paper so again be careful!

P9163674.jpg

P9163675.jpg

The IP is a pe, photo of the dials and pe sandwich.

Fisher suggest putting some clear tape over the dials to give them some sheen.

I thought Id be clever and use a drop of future.

Warning!!!!! The future reacted with the emulsion on the dials and they went all fuzzy and green! :BANGHEAD2:

Luckily you get two sets so I put them in as they were and they are shiney enough imho.

P9163672.jpg

Painting the white line round the main instruments is for a good day with no kids around and a steady hand.

Im using the SAM Hunter datafile for references and the colour pictures of a T7 pit differ slightly so its a case

of a bit of "bling" colour here and there.

I've made the two control columns so now its a case of ramming this lot into the resin nose, yipee!

Gonna go for an ice cream now.

Phil

Edited by PhilB

GO PHIL, GO!

Shout all you want, jets need more attention around here!

Cockpit looks great buddy, looking forward to more. Nice steady hand on that i.p. too. Like the bumblebee warning spots on the consoles as well.

Keep up the good work.

My God Phil not another one….. You are a machine. :bow:

Me - between work, life and wife’s DIY projects I’m struggling to finish the one plane!!!

:unsure: Okay guess the colour scheme?

Ahhhh!!! So you are taking my hint and doing glow in the dark stars! Cool looking forward to you painting them. :speak_cool:

Okay beer in hand Rugby on the telly and yet another Phil project to watch. Lifes looking good :popcorn:

Well, looks like I'm going to have to finish mine now, before you show me up Phil! :P

Your cockpit looks great man! I just have to know, how much display space do you have? This isn't a small plane when it's together, and after that Mosquito.... :o

Keep up the great work!

Matt :party0023:

Thanks for all the kind words blokes! :speak_cool:

OH yea! Looks delicious What scheme ? I'd say RED and WHITE ? IP looks spot on......Harv :speak_cool:

Well you are very close Harv, it will be red and white but there is another main colour too :ph34r:

What about promised Hello Kitty Spitfire pictures in RFI? :fight:

C'mon Phil!

I'll be following this one. Always pleasure to watch you at work!

:popcorn:

I didnt think anybody would be interested in an RFI thread on that one!

I've just got the base to mount it on so if you insist then maybe once thats done.

My God Phil not another one….. You are a machine. :bow:

Me - between work, life and wife’s DIY projects I’m struggling to finish the one plane!!!

:unsure: Okay guess the colour scheme?

Ahhhh!!! So you are taking my hint and doing glow in the dark stars! Cool looking forward to you painting them. :speak_cool:

Okay beer in hand Rugby on the telly and yet another Phil project to watch. Lifes looking good :popcorn:

Well you are talking to the bloke who stripped the wallpaper of the spare bedroom 2 years ago and hasn't got any further!!!

Yup, you know who thinks the rapping shark and tiger anre just terrific!

I'm guessing Yellow Peril. Reason for taking more than a couple of minutes, have been in Lisbon most of the week, and I'm having to post this VIA my phone... It's a lightning strikes local server thang!

Ah sunning yerself eh!!!

Nope, not Yellow Peril. The first clue is in the singers name in my first post.

I'll just say the scheme is not R.A.F or Royal Navy and Harv is 2/3rds there with the colours.

Well I thought I'd go a little further into how I'm doing things with this one regarding the Fisher conversion.

Not a tutorial by any means and there may be better ways of doing things but if anything I've found is a help to others doing this then its a good thing.

One of the first things I did was to clean up the horizontal joint between the main cockpit/nose piece and the rear cockpit and spine section.

I needed to sand the horizontal seam on the nose as there was a wee bit of overmolding but the actual seam line was visible.

I painted areas inside the nose with a bit of black as they would still be visible once the cockpit pieces were in.

All the work so far is brushpainted. I normally only use the airbrush for the main scheme.

P9193679.jpg

Left some areas unpainted for the glue.

When test fitting the two main pieces there is a notch on the rear bulkhead fpr the cockpit sides so use these to make sure of a snug fit indicated by the arrow.

Careful placing of the tub insert should make it go into the area with the dotted lines.

P9193684.jpg

If you don't pay attention to this the tub will naturally dive under this causing problems with the fit of the cockpit sides in the notch.

P9193685.jpg

I've also got to do a repair on the rear bulkead where its very thin with a small hole and a bit of mismolding.

I've cut out the square section for the canopy hinge.

P9193687.jpg

Back in a minute with the fitting of the cockpit pieces.

There are a few things to consider when fitting the tub, sidewalls and Ip into the nose section.

You cannot fix both sidewalls in and slide the tub in afterwards, it won't go in.

You can also only fit the ip once the tub is in as the rudder pedals foul it if you try and fit the ip first.

Fisher advocate putting the tub in unglued then snapping in the sidewalls and then gluing in the ip.

I had a quick count and realised I didn't have enough hands.

I also realised it was a job for 5 minute epoxy and not CA. I've found even the slow thick ca can grab a resin to resin bond far quicker than the 1 minute time on the bottle.

As I mentioned previously the rear of the tub needs to locate in the slot on the back wall. I found this left a small gap under the tub floor.

Also the tub floor is very thin and bouncy. I was aware of mounting the seats onto a flexible pit floor so a good gloop of epoxy to fill the gap

giving a hard floor seemed the right way to go.

I found you can fit the starboard sidewall and still slide the tub in so that was what I did first and was one less piece to worry about.

The port sidewall has too much stuff on it to put in first so after fitting the stb wall I slid the tub in unglued.

I then glued in the ip.

I then slid the port wall in from above, bent it back a little and dropped some epoxy behind it and held it in place until set.

The tub can still be slid around a little so I lifted it up and dropped a good dose of epoxy under it and taped the rear spine/pit wall in place ensuring it slid into the correct slot on the back wall.

Doing this also ensured the sidewalls located into the notch on the backwall.

P9193695.jpg

Here it is all in place. the coaming over the IP will be painted a dark grey before fitting the screen.

I've left the platforms for the gunsights with a bit of bare resin to help fixing the sights in.

P9193692.jpg

P9193694.jpg

P9193693.jpg

I'm going to leave the front end alone for a while and get on with fitting the resin exhaust section.

Thanks for looking in.