Aussie Revell Mirage 1/32..one more before I finish, promise!

ericg

Eric....amazing....I'm in for a number of sets....

Also, the idea of taking the engine out and using the MC engine is a good one...since I just found out that they're planning on reissuing it in a limited release in Feb 2012. That would work out amazingly well.

And as for the list....couldn't wouldn't be happier if we got all that stuff.

that is superb , I fear next year will be a riot of resin purchasing... I've always wanted to do a Mirage all dressed up, at last we're having the chance to do it .. keep it up!

I reckon next year we'll see an avalanche of Mirage builds on LSP!

Kev

.....Thanks for the tip! :speak_cool:

I'll use the blue-tack method for stuffing bigger undercuts in the master.

E

I have just found an even better material than blue tack or the children's modelling clay I have tried. At a store that specializes in molding and casting materials I have found non-drying modeling clay: http://www.chavant.com/new_site/index.htm. I have used the NSP Medium sulphur-free plasteline. It sticks just enough to the plastic, it can be sculpted beautifully and doesn't smudge like the children's clay. I can really recommend it. However, do not use it in combination with platinum curing 2k silicone. It will prevent the silicone from hardening. Tin curing silicone works fine.

Here's a picture of the clay-filled part: clay filled part

As you Eric, I am also learning a lot of new stuff about molding and casting. I don't think I'll ever reach your level of detailing and persistance to get the parts well enough to sell but I think I will give it a try. Your posts are really helpful. Thanks. Keep it up!

Cheers,

Erik

Edited by ejk

• 4 weeks later...

Just realized that it has been a while since putting up WIP pics. Have been quite busy filling orders for the resin, and getting back into the hard parts of bringing this model up to standard.

Fitted the Undercarriage bays, nose cone and the intakes, all went in well and really add to the detail of the model. I cut the rear deck behind the cockpit and reshaped it to include the stepped curve as per the real thing. I added Isracasts vents and scoops, still have a few to go, as well as made up the raised panel under some of the scoops. I shifted the gun troughs a couple of mm inboard and fabricated the panel around them from very thin plastic card. I made some changes to the tailcone/exhaust combination that I cast as per previous pictures by making up new inner petals and also added the actuator rods that connect the inner petals. I was reasonably confident that these would translate into resin, and what you see here is straight from the mould. I have started adding the outer petal actuating rods from brass rod as you can see here. The jetpipe is from the Isracast Nesher set. There is a hint of an upcoming product in one of these pics!

I happened to get hold of the Mirage maintenance manuals, so some of my original rescribing is in the process of being fixed.

PC290330.jpg

PC290331.jpg

PC290336.jpg

PC290334.jpg