Me 262 Stormbird

martin.bavaria

HA HA! Great stuff!

I can see you're running into the same small pickles as I am. Sanding away at the the seams and losing the panel lines.

But you're doing a great job at retrieving them. Your build is inspiring me to open up the throttle on mine!

Cheers,

Jeroen

Hi guys,

thanks for looking in and the kind words...

... and that's what's it all about: reference (as the real thing or a model... doesn's matter) And all should be fun, right!?!

I can see you're running into the same small pickles as I am. Sanding away at the the seams and losing the panel lines.

Hi Jeroen,

no way to avoid this... :hmmm: But I do my best!

By the way, sanding and riveting. This is a boring job! I'm not counting, but it feels like I've done million of rivets and still a long way to go... :evil_laugh: But I do my best!

So what happened in the meantime?

Let's start with the tiny things. I cut out the flaps. Cut through the short side and carved the long side before clueing. Afterwards bending a little till it fits. Just like someone touched them... "Nicht anfassen! Don't touch!"

I001.jpg

I007.jpg

Next was painting the undercarriage. Dusting and weathering is still missing...

Trying something with the Trumpy rubber tires.

I cut with a skalpell the flattened underside, drilled a hole right trough the tread and put a piece of wood in the drilled hole. This gives a flattened and weightened look to the tires. Hope you can see it on the pictures (the white spot on the tread is the piece of wood)

I011.jpg

I014.jpg

I013.jpg

I012.jpg

And now to the main gear:

I009.jpg

I010.jpg

I008.jpg

The rubber tires are not the best but for me they are okay... The wheel bay hatches were primed, pre shaded and then I sprayed a higly diluted Gunze light blue. A little filtering with dark grey and a pin wash do the rest. More weathering to come...

So let's go rivet counting! I try to make some pictures where you can see what I'm doing. Re-riveting and re-scribing and sanding the surface. More soon!

Thanks for looking in. Hope you like it... :innocent:

Cheers,

Martin

This is miles ahead of good. What a build. I enjoy watching you enjoy yourself! ....Harv :popcorn:

Thanks Harv,

right, this project makes lot of fun!

I got the hobbydecal drytransfers and can recommend them.

Hi Jeroen,

just looked after them on their homepage. Could be a "must have"... :evil_laugh: Could be the "almost" no aftermarket in this project... :closedeyes:

Now to my really time consuming work on the stormbird...

I decides to redo the rivets and give a "stressed look" to the metal skin... If you look at contemporay pictures, you often see a somehow wrinkled look. The surface is just not perfect. So what's the current state?!? I've done millions of rivets with a shortened injection needle (mounted in a handle...). With these needles you got diverent diameters. And with pressing or turning the needle you get fine rivets. The surface between the rivets got sanded, and scratched and planed down with scalpel and sanded again. I also redid the access hatches in front of the cockpit.

Sorry it's hard to get good pictures, but I like the effect on the surface!

But look youself...

I006.jpg

I005.jpg

I004.jpg

I003.jpg

And one pic over all...

J009.jpg

Next will be wings and engines...

Thanks for looking and your comments!

Cheers,

Martin

I dont know if I would have that much patience to do the riveting

Hi Willi,

I don't know either... :evil_laugh: And believe me, I'm not counting rivets! :evil_laugh:

Besides riveting there's still a lot to do...

Continued with parts of the cockpit. Behind the pilot is a plate with some rods on. The 262 could also throw off the rear part of the glazing... I added some wire, parts of the hinge and did some riveting... :evil_laugh:

J008.jpg

Okay, but what makes really fun?!? The engines! The kits parts are really good but plenty of room for adding details...

This is out of the box...

J001.jpg

And here the first tubes and wires...

J002.jpg

Comparison...

J006.jpg

The red an white parts are electric cable insulation and the wires are lead wires.

So what! The first wires... Something is missing. There's a plate where all tubes and cables end with plugs and sockets. At this connection plate are all sockets to have at maintenance all at one place. Made it easier and faster... The engine only lasted about 10 operating hours...

Okay, this connection plate is not in the kit. So made one out of plastic card. It's this small little tiny thing in front of the engine.

J007.jpg

And then comes the color! Tried Alclad at the middle parts of the engine (the inner tube inside the black one is silver...). A test for me. Not much can be seen but I'm pleased with that.

J004.jpg

The needles polished

J005.jpg

and primed with enamel gloss black!

J010.jpg

Also primed the engines... Tomorrow they deliver the fuel. I'll report about the test runs... :evil_laugh:

J012.jpg

J014.jpg

The problem about black is: you don't have to much contrast... You can hardly see the details. The last picture is overexposed to something. Let's wait how it looks when the metal is on!

That's all for now, still more to come! Hope you like it!

Cheers,

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

thanks alot for the kind words...

And it's time for an update! The engines got their first color on. I used Alclad dull aluminium.

Using Alclad the most important thing is the perfect priming. With Alclad on you can see every tiny flaw and seam, almost 3 times better then before... :closedeyes: Okay, lesson learned! But by the way, in my case it does not have to be perfect. With dust and weathering on it should look just fine then.

Enuff talk, let's see the pictures:

This is the "needle". The Jumo engine had no "nozzles" in the modern way. The needle was driven in or out to adjust thrust.

K005.jpg

The rear section...

K004.jpg

I'm thinking about exposing one engine completely and the other with the hatches open. Hm... the better one of the two engines is going to be exposed... :rolleyes:

The front section with all tube and wires... Would be a shame to hide this! :evil_laugh:

K003.jpg

K002.jpg

K001.jpg

Not much to show, but I'm quite pleased with the result so I did not want to withhold the pics!

Thanks for looking in

Cheers,

Martin

Thanks guys,

your comments are much appreciated!

I continued with the engine... And got similiar issues as Jeroen! But later more about these problems!

First the (almost) finished engine, made the adjustment mechanism of the "needle" from an injection needle. Detail Painting and weathering is still missing!

L0001.jpg

L0002.jpg

L0003.jpg

Okay, with the engine cover on not much can be seen afterwards. So fully expose it! :evil_laugh:

First, this would be seen with the front access panels open!

L0004.jpg

And here on the wing.

L0005.jpg

Not very amazing, right?!? Too much hidden.

But now comes the problem area! With the cover fully opened you can see the "model inside" of the wing. But the wing "goes on" under the engine. What to do?!? Make an unreal solution with parts of the cover still in place (this hides the inside...) or open the cover completely?

First some pictures! On the next two pictures you see on the inner side the correct opening, on the outside the "wrong" solution (and the big gap...)

L0006.jpg

L0007.jpg

And now the correct cover opening with engine!

L0009.jpg

L0010.jpg

L0013.jpg

So what?!? I'm going to close the area with some plastic card, sanding, filling, sanding and some scribing and riveting... :BANGHEAD2: Should be fun anyway!

That's all for now folks, thanks for looking in!

Cheers,

Martin