Sign in to follow this  
Brian79

F-84E/G Wheels

Guest Peterpools

Brian

I'm hanging in there.

Peter

Hi Stein,

Well, there is a major issue. The intake lip is pure fantasy when you study reference material of the original Thunderjet. The intake should be smooth without the lip. Tamiya and Revell in 1/48 also did not come up with a brilliant engineering solution for this. I personally think that is just too bad since it is the eyecatching element of the Thunderjet.

However, from an engineering point of view (injection molding that is) it may be that it is quite difficult to achieve the realistic result closely. Maybe an aftermarket company could tackle it...but it would require a full redesign probably...ergo: expensive. (Zactoman?)..and is there a market for it.Regards,Tim

Thanks Tim!

All I can see checking the kit part with your walk-around photos, is a minor problem which I think can be solved with some deft use of putty.

Another, minor, problem is the air brake: The 84E kit has the later, perforated, brake while the 84G kit has the earlier 4-slot brake.

Stein

Re the Intake lip: I presume you are referencing the "lip" inside of the intake ring where the part "mates" to the intake trunks. I have "fixed" this by using .010 sheet stock on TamMod 48th builds, have not checked the thickness of the "gap" on the 32nd T-jet because Hairold/AMS has my kit for fitting his resin parts. In short, I cut sheet stock (one part each side) to fill the space from gun-bay platform to nose-gear well and inside of nose-ring back to "can't-see-um" in the intake trunks; stock is formed to fit the curve of the fuselage. In the photos at the links below, you can just see the joint between the nose ring and the sheet stock on two of my 48th builds. I think I have a photo of the parts somewhere but haven't found it ... yet.

----------------------------------------------------------

Modelers choice: frontal-lobotomy or bottle-in-front-a-me.

Thanks Tim!

All I can see checking the kit part with your walk-around photos, is a minor problem which I think can be solved with some deft use of putty.

Another, minor, problem is the air brake: The 84E kit has the later, perforated, brake while the 84G kit has the earlier 4-slot brake.

Stein

Mastercasters have released the early airbrake and have plans to release the late one. Pity Hobby Boss couldn't have included parts for both and the early unframed canopy all in the same box.

Edited by Kagemusha

Pity Hobby Boss didn't do their homework because there are many errors in their kit. Without telling stories out of school, they were notified of the errors before the kit was finalized but they made none of the suggested corrections. I've said it before, I'll say it again: It costs no more to do a kit right than it does to do it wrong. Just because a kit may look great built FTB does not mean it is an accurate "model" of the real thing. I'm not carping about modelers doing great builds, I'm carping about companies that don't do their homework. The upside is that the aftermarket for correction parts is thriving.

Pity Hobby Boss didn't do their homework because there are many errors in their kit. Without telling stories out of school, they were notified of the errors before the kit was finalized but they made none of the suggested corrections. I've said it before, I'll say it again: It costs no more to do a kit right than it does to do it wrong. Just because a kit may look great built FTB does not mean it is an accurate "model" of the real thing. I'm not carping about modelers doing great builds, I'm carping about companies that don't do their homework. The upside is that the aftermarket for correction parts is thriving.

Couldn't agree more.

Plank:

To a point, you are correct. The reason I say this is that if the molds are cut and prepared, fixing them costs money. Potentially lots of money depending on what might need fixed. Companies look at the amount the fix would cost vs. the people that might not buy the kit and proceed according to finacial dictate, not overwhelming accuracy.

The other point is that it epends on how many peopel really care about "accuracy". For me, it is completely unimportant vs. the men/women who flew the plane or the battels/sacrifices fought, etc. I do agree that they could get it rioght the first time but the most importatn thing I can say is that the peopel making the models are not modeelrs for the most part; few build kits if any at most companies and many contrat out the builds you see for the hobby shows.

Overall, I love the way the hobby is going and couldn't be happier

Just mmy thoughts after spending time with all the companies the last 8 years

Dave

Re the Intake lip: I presume you are referencing the "lip" inside of the intake ring where the part "mates" to the intake trunks. I have "fixed" this by using .010 sheet stock on TamMod 48th builds, have not checked the thickness of the "gap" on the 32nd T-jet because Hairold/AMS has my kit for fitting his resin parts. In short, I cut sheet stock (one part each side) to fill the space from gun-bay platform to nose-gear well and inside of nose-ring back to "can't-see-um" in the intake trunks; stock is formed to fit the curve of the fuselage. In the photos at the links below, you can just see the joint between the nose ring and the sheet stock on two of my 48th builds. I think I have a photo of the parts somewhere but haven't found it ... yet.

----------------------------------------------------------

Modelers choice: frontal-lobotomy or bottle-in-front-a-me.

That is quite a good fix Bruce!!

Tim

Dave, if there is no concern about accuracy, then the product is just a toy, not a model properly representing the real. If companies want to be in the business of producing models and not toys, then they should do their research before cutting metal. There are numerous Thunderjets available for inspection so, IMHO, failure to access what is available is not an excuse. In the case of the 32nd, they asked after they cut metal. So, if they weren't gonna correct it, why ask?

Tim, thanks for the kind words, and I'm enjoying seeing the great work you are doing on [a] your 32nd build, and the F-84 publication you did. Can't wait for the next one ... drat ... guess I've gotta wait. Oh, well!

Hi guys, Just wanted to let you know that we have a great set of wheels coming for your large scale Hobby boss kit. I'm sorry that I don't have pictures right now, but these should be up and ready on the website by the end of the month. If you've seen our website you know we are going through growing pains, so just bear with us and we'll have these as well as the zuni pods and Su-25 wheels up and ready for you guys. Thanks for your support! :speak_cool:

Brian

Hi Brian,

I haven't found these wheels on your site (F-84). Are they available? I'm building a HobbyBoss '84G right now and will need a set for sure. You can PM me if you wish.

Thanks,

John Bardwell

Hi Brian,

I haven't found these wheels on your site (F-84). Are they available? I'm building a HobbyBoss '84G right now and will need a set for sure. You can PM me if you wish.

Thanks,

John Bardwell

Apparently the wheels will be released after the Skyray kit, so may be some time.

Apparently the wheels will be released after the Skyray kit, so may be some time.

Guess I'll just have to use the kit wheels on mine for now and switch 'em out later on.

Edited by Guest