Spitfire navigation lights

I've been wondering about something and hope someone out there has the answer (Vasko are you reading this?) Does the Spitfire have a ventral lamp and what is it's colour, did any Spits ever have the ventral ID lamps of the red, green, yellow variety, is the dorsal spine lamp coloured and what colour is it, white, blue, red? Just a bit of nitpicking. If anyone has a good answer I might send them an Su-27. (it might be 1/350 scale but still.....)

I'll put my 2 pence in....... the light located beneath the cockpit on the belly of the a/c up until the Mk XII I believe and on the wing from Mk XIV on was amber. The light behind the radio mast is white.

Hi

Yes I read you clear!

Strictly speaking the belly and fuselage spine lamps were not navigation but signaling lamps. The pilot had a tap-key with a selector switch on the starboard wall (beneath the spare bulbs rack) which allowed him to use either the top, or the bottom lamps, or yet both together, to flash morse signals. The bottom one was amber, the top one was white. However the latter was often over-painted black or dark blue when operational( look at pics of post B o B Spitfires).

Yes the US type amber+green+red belly lamp was fitted normally to Spitfires MK22 and 24. Seafires XVII, 46 and 47.

Cheers Vasko

Nice to see you on line Vasko! (I have only been here since the end of September). The point made by Mr. Valdez is a good one. Only on here have I heard that the lower (underwing belly) lamp is amber in colour - thanks for the info' (I have always wondered what the actual colour was!). I have noted that the Spitfire fuselage drop tanks (in their various sizes) have a similar type of lamp - so I assume that they are also amber?

Regards

Derek