1/35 King Tiger "Defending Arnhem"

Tudor Gh

Hello everyone,

I have managed to finally wrap up another project, this time being a 1/35 King Tiger from Dragon. I just finished dirtying it up even more than before, and my beloved sister helped take some pictures of this tank (she's the photography master in our family :rolleyes: ). I figured it was time to share it with the wonderful LSP Community.

The kit was built out of box, with a few additions, as you can see. The upper armor, along with the turret, was covered with a layer of Testors' Plastic Cement, after which a thick, short-haired brush was used to hit the said surface and thus recreate the grainy texture of steel. The base coat was Alclad II Steel, followed by a deviation of RLM 79, and the brown stripes were a combination of several paints I had in stock (I just kind of eye-balled that colour :whistle: ). The paint was then scratched with a tooth-pick, or a needle in other places, to reveal the steel layer beneath it. The tracks were painted with the same Alclad Steel, then dry brushed with varying shades of brown, ranging from light tan, all the way to mud brown. The same was done for the wheels. The exhausts were weathered with oil streaks, as well (I tried to keep this subtle, not over-killed).

The zimmerit was also chipped and/or removed in places, where one would expect soldier to trample with their boots :lol: . The armor plates were also heavily scratched. The kit decals were used, and with enough Mr. Mark Softer, they conformed very nicely to the zimmerit surface. Lastly, but not least, foliage was added in as many places as possible (I tried not to overdo it), to give the tank a more unique look. A brush dipped in various shades of brown acrylic wash was also sprinkled against the tank, to reveal dirt and mud splats.

The tank represents a machine part of the 3rd Company of s.Pz.Abt. 506, operating near Elst, Holland, in September of 1944. As mentioned above, this is my second armor kit ever built, so please let me know where it needs improvement.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do,

Tudor

DSC_0630.jpg

DSC_0627.jpg

DSC_0631.jpg

DSC_0634.jpg

Hey Tudor, nice!!! The foliage came out really nice, also the splattering effect is quite cool. :speak_cool: can you post pictures of the real thing as well?

awesome achievement, for your second armor :party0023: now it,s time to start the "alby" project :party0023: ...like totally! ;)

Being a Tread head at heart, I love this KT!!! Did you do the Zimmerit or was it factory? Anyway for your second armor kit, it is an outstanding job!!!! She's a pretty kitty. You have talent. I like to mix it up as well with subject matter and techniques. Good to diversify your creative arsenal!! Keep it up my styrene brother.

A helpful tip on German armor is that Krylon "Ruddy Brown" indoor-outdoor primer is perfect to prime German tanks as it is exactly the same color as the Iron Oxide Primer used in all German armor!! Save those wonderful expensive Alclad lacquers for treads , jets and the like!!

Hey Tudor, nice!!! The foliage came out really nice, also the splattering effect is quite cool. :speak_cool: can you post pictures of the real thing as well?

awesome achievement, for your second armor :party0023: now it,s time to start the "alby" project :party0023: ...like totally! ;)

Here are the pictures of the real King Tiger I was trying to replicate

506er1.jpg

506er2.jpg

Hi J,

I was asking myself the very same question as I was writing that post. I cannot recall the name of the product, but I picked it up in the LHS for 6 bucks. Martinnfb has the same product, since we found it together on the shelves. I'm positive he knows the name of it. Right, Martin? :lol:

Tudor

right, right,,, never under estimate the power of an old man :) The "army painter" in series Battlefields/ (poison ivy), under the label mini natur,

...glad to answer any question about Tudor's tiger or whatev'

M.