HELLDIVER!

big matt

Hi guys! Thanks for asking. I have made zero progress since my last post. I have been checking on all the great work here but have not had any time for modeling lately. All my free time has been occupied by the project that has taken over my workshop. I even had to dismantle my model bench. I hope to be back at it soon but am having a lot of fun with a real big scale model!

e3056f1d.jpg

2777757c.jpg

17a13feb.jpg

I have spent a lot of time sanding and filling and sanding and filling. I also have been siuperdetailing and restoring original equipment. I finally got to shoot a base coat of primer. I used a hi build, think Mr Surfacer 1000. It is really testing my model skills. Lots of similar techniques just on a grand scale.

This is my reference pic. I am doing the same color combination. The cool thing is when it is done, I can drive it!

9f168562.jpg

Hi guys! Thanks for asking. I have made zero progress since my last post. I have been checking on all the great work here but have not had any time for modeling lately. All my free time has been occupied by the project that has taken over my workshop. I even had to dismantle my model bench. I hope to be back at it soon but am having a lot of fun with a real big scale model!

e3056f1d.jpg

2777757c.jpg

17a13feb.jpg

I have spent a lot of time sanding and filling and sanding and filling. I also have been siuperdetailing and restoring original equipment. I finally got to shoot a base coat of primer. I used a hi build, think Mr Surfacer 1000. It is really testing my model skills. Lots of similar techniques just on a grand scale.

This is my reference pic. I am doing the same color combination. The cool thing is when it is done, I can drive it!

How COOL is that!!! :m0152:

9f168562.jpg

Oh hell Matt I feel your pain...I have barely even looked at the work bench since getting my 70 Roadrunner last March.Now the front drums are off and a new disc set-up is going on.Found a mint set of original Centerline drag wheels...7 front,8 1/2 rears but I mounted a set of 295-50-15s on the back and 215-65-15s out front...I friggin HATE SNOW at this moment!So-Cal is lookin good to me right now.The Camaro is coming along nice though.Always loved that body style...keep up the good work and keep us posted

• 1 month later...

I think Matt has taken a little break from the hobby to pursue that great Camaro. It's been at least a month since he's checked in here at LSP.

Ron

Yep, hes on the musle-car forums re-storing the car............believe he had to diss assemble the workbench (in the garage) to accommodate working on the ride.

Brian

*EDIT*

HA.............Ron, I just realized your avatar was "LiL" off of my current avatar.........

Edited by Out2gtcha

Lo and behold the thread that will not die!

Thanks for checking in on it guys. Gregory, no progress. The diver is covered in dust. Maybe someday soon but I am elbow deep in greasy car parts. Brian is right about the bench, it has been taken down to make room for car parts. Sitting in it's place right now is a 383 stroker motor worth about 375 hp. I did repaint the block yesterday and just love using my modeling skills from time to time. Even broke out the MM acryl to work on my instrument panel.

I have a lot of lsp things on my mind and hope to work on them soon.

I have to say that this is the most ambitious build I have ever seen. I do imagine you do get burned out sometime.But let me interject a little inspiration, I did this a while back as a wiffer from NAS Glenview.

I really hope to see this build of yours to fruition as none of my friends will believe it.

Paul

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

Edited by Paul W

Lo and behold the thread that will not die!

Haha! I can promise you to bump this thread every few months! We will not let you off the hook that easily on this one :evil_laugh:

Edited by Tomek

• 2 years later...

Just looking at one of the Polish sites which has card models. I was thinking of the Halifax, and will probably buy the newer Merlin and the older Hercules powered one, plus a Defiant, maybe a Dinah, and I guess i should get a Helldiver as well, to make a Thai or French one. Chances of building it is about zero, as I need to build my new 1:1 scale house first (and I am a slow worker). I might look at converting it into a vector file and having the parts laser cut, and I see cutters can even be obtained now for about $500.

Fun times ahead.

Greg.

PS, how is yours coming along?

Greg, thanks for checking in on this. I actually just saw the big diver on a back shelf the other day! Still incomplete as are all my other kits. Many obstacles remain firmly planted in the way of modeling.

The latest potential roadblock is a restoration of a 1969 Colchester Racing Developments Merlyn 11A Formula Ford race car.

Car racing and reconstruction has supplanted my desire to work with models. I still get the challenge of building with the thrill of putting the project to the test when complete.