Nakajima Ki-27 Nate...

KOTR

...which is my latest purchase.

Actually, I wasn't exactly behind that one, more after the A5M Claude, but on my search I found the Nate relatively cheap for 30€ + pp (they are usually sold in the 50€+ range). Well, that's fine too, and actually, I like the flush tulip shape of the nates cowling almost better. And as my ISP sold me a new high speed connection without informing me of the need for a new modem/router, I actually had a good reason to spend some time on that babe over the weekend... ;)

sh32033ba.jpg

Inside you find some well executed shortrun sprues with pretty fine details. No location tabs, as usual with shortrun, and I expect quite some work to fit the wings to the fuselage. A bag with some fine resin parts and a sheet of photoetch parts, decals for 3 aircraft, which look good to me on the first sight.

nate01.jpg

nate02.jpg

Work starts on the cockpit. I added some wire to spice things up and I am almost ready to hit it with some paint. Just one resin piece to add on each side. And I'm going to officially hate the guy who disturbs the result of my imagination with a real wiring diagram... :D

nate03.jpg

The guns. I replaced the intended resin springs with some selfmade ones from copper wire. No clean-up neccessary on these, look better and they won't break if you apply a little to much force trying to remove them from their stubs.

I hope you enjoyed my efforts so far. Now its ime for some color...

Great work, so far!

I'm also very interested in this build. This is a kit that I will certainly be building (if not two of them, Koh and Otsu). Also, I'm interested to see what you think of the canopy, when you get to that point. A review that I read indicated that it was too thick to be posed in the open position. I'm curious to see just how bad it is. If so, hopefully a vac replacement can be made without too much trouble?

Thanks for posting!

John

Great work, so far!

I'm also very interested in this build. This is a kit that I will certainly be building (if not two of them, Koh and Otsu). Also, I'm interested to see what you think of the canopy, when you get to that point. A review that I read indicated that it was too thick to be posed in the open position. I'm curious to see just how bad it is. If so, hopefully a vac replacement can be made without too much trouble?

Thanks for posting!

John

Well, the boxart shows no canopy, and the instructions marks the canopy as optional. Which I thought is a nice touch. More of a concern so far is the gunsight. There is some kind of crank under the gunsight itself, that obviously operates a bullet shaped cover, and while the gunsight passes through the windscreen, the crank shall pass under the same. Gotta see, how that will work out, as it is a very fiddly resin part, that is already damaged in the box <_< That'll be some fun...

Anyways, not much to show today. Some coats of primer, a first shot of color on the dashboards, wheels and oil coolers. Nothing worth presenting. And a few tiny PE parts, that make your eyes and neck hurt. But so far I enjoy the kit.

Todays work.

nate05.jpg

I don't like painting dials by hand. Especially when they are not very well refined. A drop of gloss on the on the dials, and the instrument panels are good to go.

nate06.jpg

The guns were more fun. But they look definitely better in person.

You need to file an opening at the base of the windscreen for Part PUR 12 to pass through, the end which attaches to the gunsight should also sit on the top of the fuselage, and there should also be a piece that extends down towards the cowl.

If I'm not mistaken, the crank under the gunsight actually operates the cowl flaps.

Edit: I looked at my copy of Japanese Aircraft Interiors, and and although it doesn't have a Ki-27 cockpit, it does have pictures of the Type 89 Sighting Telescope. The thin rod that runs along the side (L9) is what operates the cap. Here's a picture.

https://eshop.hobbyart.sk:4443/modeltalking/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Gun_sight.jpg

Edited by Dave Williams

That main instrument panel looks like Australia!

Kev

Lol, now that you mention it! :lol: Thanks for making my day, mate!

Thank you for all the incoming information about what I call the "what ever the heck it operates, its gonna be a PIA to assemble"-crank in the meantime ;)

• 2 weeks later...

With the next project just having arrived today, which is:

hb83205ba.jpg

(I know, some guys in here wouldn't even touch it with a 10 foot pole), I thought it might be worthwhile to speed up progress a bit.

Cockpit is done, except for two small bits and a little more scuffed paint on the floor.

nate07.jpg

nate08.jpg

nate09.jpg

nate10.jpg

Made a small mistake, the red arrow point to, where the cockpit colour should end, instead I extended the aluminium of the engine compartment a bit to far back. Well, I hope, its not to obvious...

The seat misses some leather treatment (read: a drybrush with artist's oil colour) on the back and the belts.

nate11.jpg

Engine is next, then I can start thinking about closing the fuselage.

A question, what diameter do you guys think is more appropriate for the ignition wires? .25 mm or .4 mm? Thanks in advance! ;)