U.S. WWII, Post 1943 National Insignia

Guest TimC

Somewhere in the myriad of reference material I have, I have a text that has the dimensions for the USAAF stars and bars given in percentages of the height of the star and/or circle. But I cannot, for the life of me, locate it. Has anyone run across this and can repost it here...or tell me what text it might be in? I've racked my "pre-alzheimers" brain and can't remember which reference it's in. I've searched through the most likely suspects from Monogram aviation publishing (except the ones I do not have) but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I need this for a Mustang build that's coming up shortly. No hurry but the sooner the better.

Edited by TimC

Blue circle with radius = R. White star also with radius = R. White rectangular bars each with width = R and height = 1/2 R; top of bar is even with horizontal tip of star. inner edge of bar conforms to outer edge of circle. Blue border around all with width of 1/8 R. This data from p.146 of "USAAF Aircraft Markings and Camouflage 1941-1947" by Archer & Archer. Hope this helps.

Edited by OldTroll

Yes, that's it! Thanks Ron & Edgar! I just wish I could find my reference that has that information in it. I need to do a "Doc Metz" and catalog everything and probably even then I won't be able to find what I'm looking for...:doh:

Edited by TimC

Can't you just measure an appropriate decal? Or is there some other reason you want to know? I may or may not have the data you seek, I'll check when I get back from some errands i need to run today.

Thanks. I thought was about 35" based on decal measurements but I needed to know if the decal was correct. I too was of the opinion that the dimension given was just for the star diameter. Nice to have my observations substantiated.