Arado 196 A-3

miamiangler

Kevin , Is your A/C the Roden Fokker DVII ? I just cant wait to get the wings on my Lloyd :) time will tell .

WIlli

Yep, that's mine. Darn shame too, I was really enjoying it. Good luck with yours.

Yep, that's mine. Darn shame too, I was really enjoying it. Good luck with yours.

I think is looks nice , I would take a break from it for a few days and then try fixing it again .

Might have to make a jig to set the wings then put the struts in place . I would start with the centers first . HtH

Willi

That's some nice work... but given that I have been flying float planes for a living - I have yet to see exposed lightening holes on control surfaces... the reason being that uncovered, they pose a serious corosion risk to the airframe... are you sure that the German birds had open lightening holes and not fully encased control surfaces? Sometimes the lightening holes are visible through the fabric? Just thinking outloud here... excellent work overall!

Cheers

Alan

I got most of the work done on both wings by adding some rivet and screw holes . I added some dark grey oil wash and getting ready to start pre-shading the wings .

DSCN0457.jpg

DSCN0458.jpg

Here`s the after shot of the flaps and alerons :

DSCN0459.jpg

This is the Unit Emblem I would like to use on My A/C The two A/C that wore that Emblem where 7R+BK & 7R+CK. If anyone knows who can print decals for this Emblem in 1/32 scale it would be great to know Thanks in advance .

DSCN0460.jpg

Thanks more to come soon :) Willi

Edited by miamiangler

Today I started with adding color to the bottom of the wing . First I preshaded with black omn the panel lines and dark gray on the areas where there are rivets . Using narrow strips of tape covered all the areas and sprayed the area white where the yello will be and different shades of blue where RLM 65 will be . It looks ugly now but after a few light coats of paint it should look fine .I`m keeping my fingers crossed ;).

DSCN0466.jpg

Thanks Peter and Jim for your kind remarks.

Cheers,

Willi

Edited by miamiangler

Over the weekend I added the colors to the bottom of the wings and most of the other parts . All in all I think it came out O.K . all that is left is washes and decals . the next half of the week I will work on the top wing colors .

DSCN0470.jpg

DSCN0469.jpg

Sunday I went to one of the local hobby shops and picked up Alumilite WATER CLEAR and Quick set RTV .I still dont like how the Revell clear parts look .So as an Experiment I will cast the clear parts from the HpH Arado 196 and if all come out as expected the parts that I cast will go onto the Revell Arado . I have cast regular parts before but this will be my first try with the clear stuff.I`m keeping my fingers crossed on this part forsure !

DSCN0471.jpg

Thanks ,

Willi

Edited by miamiangler

The last few days I have not worked on the model but have been making molds for the canopy . I took some photos of the process :

Here I built a box using LEGO blocks and covered some sheet plastic with modeling clay

DSCN0472.jpg

You center the part you want to mold to the center. the block on the bottom of the canopy is going to be the top of the mold and the block which will be cut away after is also the area for pouring the resin .

DSCN0473.jpg

This is how it will look before adding the RTV rubber.Leave a 1/4 inch around the part .More then that you will be wasting the RTV rubber .It`s not cheap !

DSCN0474.jpg

This is with the RTV rubber poured in to the mold. The top in the photo is the bottom of the mold . Also important is to press down on the Legos into the modeling clay and seal the base of the mold with the clay or you will spring some leaks ! To get rid of air bubbles I used a pressure pot.

DSCN0475.jpg

Here`s the mold with the Lego`s removed and also removed the pattern and tried a few casts.

DSCN0480.jpg

Here is the first part from the mold:) PART ON THE RIGHT

DSCN0479.jpg

Tonight I`ll be working on the unit shield decal.

Thanks for looking,

Willi

Edited by miamiangler

Guest Peterpools

Willie

A braver man then me. Thanks for showing ho its done. The newly molded resin canopy looks perfect in every detail. Do you polish and use pledge on the resin canopy?

Peter

Hi Peter ,

The canopies from HpH where not to my liking . There were some blemishes on them . I figured I might just try casting a few rather having HpH sent new ones . this way I kill two birds with one stone . I`ll have canopies for the Revell and HpH .BTW the HpH canopies are much better then the Revell.Especally the rear canopy! After the resin cures for a week I would dip them in future for clearer glass:) . I`m just having a hell of a time With the Alumilite resin.It has to be right on for the mixture or else it does not harden correctly:( .4 tries so far !

Willi

Thanks for all of your comments guy`s . Well Apreciated :)

So far the canopies I have casted seem to be O.K. Next Time A better way is to make a two part mold ! I have a hard time getting the pieces out of the mold . I wont get to many copies this way .So far I have 4 fronts and 0 backs :( . I also found out that the very thin resin parts are very heat sensative ! even with just holding it in your hands! I am hoping that when the resin fully cures in a week I wont have that problem .

I made decals

of the Unit badges and I am in the process of putting the decals on the Ar196 hatches tonite .Thanks to Florin13 for his Info on how he printed his decals I gave it a try .

Photos will follow soon .

Thanks again for everyones comments ,

Willi

Edited by miamiangler