Brian79

Space shuttle Stuff!

Brian, These parts look good. I dug around and found my Revell shuttle; such an awesome craft deserves some detail, and I intend to add bits to the kit. Thanks to all for this informative thread.

Hi Pete, Once again I'll try to address your concerns by explaining how Fisher Model and Pattern operates. I'm glad that you took the time to browse our other threads and acknowledged our quality. In regards to acuuracy, we simply don't release a product unless we have done two simple things. 1. measured it ourselves or received the input from valued "subject matter experts" who have access to the subject and 2. show the masters to those involved with our projects for final input. Case in point, I measured the SSME at a prominant museum myself, and its right. For other items I could not gain access to due to travel plans we reach out to members of our "team" which include people whos credentials range from subject nmatter experts to actuall mechanics, pilots or crew of the real subject. As an example of the research we conduct, I offer the following examples I have handy from our current project, which is well underway. (While the shuttle stuff has just been introduced to the modeling community it has been done for some time and was in the process of stage 2. mentioned above)

IMG_9061.jpg

IMG_9060.jpg

To some these tiny internal details would be inconsequential, but not to us. It is this type of attention to detail that sets Fisher apart from the competition. The problem that you keep bringing up "they just don't look right" is exactly why we go to great lengths to see the real thing because quite frankly it is foolish to think that anyone could form an accurate assessment or design parts from pictures alone. The subtle curves, the hidden fasteners, the lapped joints, etc. are the key to achieving accuracy. Every project that Fisher does involves countless hours of research to get it right. Being a "visual modeler" is fine but you can't question accuracy without facts, you'll drive yourself mad and still never accomplish anything.

As for the large end of the SSME nozzles, you must realize that they have to be beefed up in order to get constant quality pulls from the molds. why bother at all if you order an item only to have it come broken or cracked? Again, thats not how we operate. If the builder wishes to they can tweak the part to suite their needs if they feel they must, I think they're absolutely perfect as is personally. Another thing to keep in mind is that some of these pictures are macro, bugs that look like creatures from another world. The SSME nozzle is not even an 1-1/2 in diameter at the big end!

Accuraccy and quality is our nich, if you want resin parts that looks better than the kit parts then you have a plethora of options, if you want the most accurate parts on the market than you come to us. Other manufactuers items are widely available and quite frankly, are cheaper for alot of the stuff we have issued or is on the way and if they work for you thats great but we have no intention of changing because our business model works. We offer the most accurate, quality castings out there. We also offer ourselves to you, we love to talk models and we are interested in what you want. Our inbox exploded with the release of these shuttle parts, something that we have never experienced with a new product before. Despite that success I'm still here talking to you Pete and anyone else who will listen because thats just who we are. In the end only you can decided if these parts are better than what comes in the kit. thanks!

Brian

and to everyone else out there stay tuned......BLACKBIRD stuff coming soon! :party0023:

Brian,

I'm dying here man...........................now your talking Blackbird stuff. Baby, that's the HABU, your doing stuff for the lady of speed. Please shows us more pics soon!!

Cheers,

Edited by Michael931080

Well I don't see a profile shot of your Shuttle OMS (Orbital Maneuvering System) engine bell part Brian, so I guess I can assume it's not accurate proportionally.

And all these 'modelers' that are filling up your inbox and who are digging out their shuttles from the nether regions of their stash and buying one just to fit your parts to ... man, are they gonna be shocked when they see how poor fitting a kit it is. :rofl:

Fisher's RCS part is lovely, you've packed a lot of detail into a little piece of resin ... the SSME's wall thickness is off and the OMS bell, well, I'd love to see it in profile.

Brian, none of this is meant as an attack, personally or otherwise ... please don't take it as such ... I just want accurate aftermarket options and these are my observations. This is one of favourite vehicles and although it's 1/72, the parts are large enough to do a nice job on 'em and ... I'm just a stickler for detail ... ;)

Thanx

Well I don't see a profile shot of your Shuttle OMS (Orbital Maneuvering System) engine bell part Brian, so I guess I can assume it's not accurate proportionally.

And all these 'modelers' that are filling up your inbox and who are digging out their shuttles from the nether regions of their stash and buying one just to fit your parts to ... man, are they gonna be shocked when they see how poor fitting a kit it is. :rofl:

Fisher's RCS part is lovely, you've packed a lot of detail into a little piece of resin ... the SSME's wall thickness is off and the OMS bell, well, I'd love to see it in profile.

Brian, none of this is meant as an attack, personally or otherwise ... please don't take it as such ... I just want accurate aftermarket options and these are my observations. This is one of favourite vehicles and although it's 1/72, the parts are large enough to do a nice job on 'em and ... I'm just a stickler for detail ... ;)

Thanx

Pete, I don't have a set here they are being cast to get ready for anticipated orders otherwise I'd post pics.

These parts will be available as a 7 piece set only so it looks like you won't be getting the RCS packs.

No offense taken at all, like I said before this is what we do. We are confident in our parts and we'd like your business,but we realize that not everyone will buy them. Once you see a set in person, maybe you'll change your mind. Or who knows you'll probably think they are horrible, either way maybe you'll see something in our catalog that peaks your interest one day!

thanks!

Brian

I'm keeping my mind open Brian, as, generally, they do-o-o look nice ... and thanx for understanding my POV! :thumbsup:

I'm hoping the guys, the aficionados, attending the Omaha NATS, will give us a good idea on these.

Thanx Brian

Pete

I'm keeping my mind open Brian, as, generally, they do-o-o look nice ... and thanx for understanding my POV! :thumbsup:

I'm hoping the guys, the aficionados, attending the Omaha NATS, will give us a good idea on these.

Thanx Brian

Pete

No problem Pete, One of the guys involved with this project is doing a seminar there and will hopefully have a set if the Post Office doesn't let us down, so you'll get to see them yourself.

Brian

Hi guys, just wanted to let you know the links will be hot tonight for the first shuttle set. This 7 piece set will be $49.99 and should begin shipping right away. As always we appreciate your support!

Brian

Shuttleset1.jpg

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the Alert Brian.

Ordered my set!

Barry

Edited by Barry

Hi guys, I've relayed a message from one of this sets contributers that outlines our last minute changes to this set. That said no sets have shipped yet so to all of you that have ordered so far (BIG THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!) this is what you will get. It may however take a couple of more days for you to get your sets though because we have to begin recasting, we hope you understand. Thank you very much for your continued support and patience when we pause to give things a second thought.

Brian

His message begins here:

Before I begin, I am going to spell out what my involvement is with Fisher on these. I was asked a few weeks ago if I could help advise them on their products since it has been documented that I am the "go to" guy on shuttle modeling. I don't claim to know everything about shuttle, especially since I don't work with them and I live 1500 miles away from KSC. But I have collected a lot of the data on shuttle of course, which many of you know. Now, being an advisor means that I advise, but it does NOT mean that I am in direct line of production as a quality control inspector might be. Advice can be taken, advice can be ignored. It is a give and take relationship here as my considerations must be factored in with others. I must say though that it has been a joy to work with Fisher as my input into their products has been considered quite well by the people that are working on them. They have other advisors as well, including people who have worked on the stuff for NASA. I personally think they should be applauded for sticking their necks out on the line and going into an aspect of the hobby that very few have done before.

As Brian has said though, there are other considerations at work here. The part can be made as technically accurate as possible, but if the resulting shape ends up killing molds after two or three pulls, it isn't going to do much good for a company trying to make money off of a product (it is different when you are doing a short run of parts for just your own model). These are many of the same concerns that a styrene company has to consider when producing a kit. And you have to keep things filtered down to a certain select few people or the old addage "too many cooks spoil the broth" comes true.

Okay, given that I am in the loop on the things Fisher are doing, I've been given approval to post some photos of some parts modifications made today because Paul and Brian wanted ME, little ole ME to give this project a go for launch if I liked what I saw with the modifications. I have the first run resin shots in my possession and gave them a full looking over and sent them my constructive critiques, which in turn resulted in the modifications you see. I have to say, I am blown away that Paul Fisher actually managed to implement them so quickly based on the images I sent. Brian did the original masters and considering how much it costs to make them, if mods can be done without having to burn a new master pattern, so much the better. So here we are. And yes, I am putting my neck on the line. So I gave my approval and after a little bit of work is finalized on the SSMEs and some test pulls are made on the OMS motors, here is what you will likely see on these new parts from Fisher.

First up is the main engine bell:

mainnozzlemod2.jpg

mainnozzlemod.jpg

I recommended a groove be cut into the back to separate the pipe from the bell. While it is a bit thick, it improves the looks of the bell quite a bit when viewed from the rear.

Secondly, another short segment is being added to the front of the bell. This helps improve the shape at the front and should make it easier to add the bell to the styrene parts on both the Revell and Monogram shuttles. Some pipe work will be added to the extension to blend it in with the rest of the bell. Based on what I can see, these main engine bells look AWSOME otherwise. The internal detail is the best you are going to find anywhere (to me it doesn't look overscale at all) and the exterior features look good too. I can fully understand why the channels are flashed onto the bell and not separate as this causes Realspace's molds to get beat to hell rather quickly on their mold pulls (and if you put a dark wash here, nobody is going to be able to tell if the pipes are molded on or raised above). While I think Realspace's bells might be a little more technically accurate to flight articles in some regards externally, the sets I see here look good enough for me to use on an in-flight orbiter displayed horizontally while the Realspace bells I would be more inclined to use on a launch stack shuttle (where the SSMEs are at the bottom of the model and not as easy to see).

Now for the bit a few of you have been griping about, the OMS engine bell shape:

OMSnozzlemod.jpg

It took a few tries grinding these down on the lathe for Paul to get the shape closer and that was based on some sketches I sent to him for how the "liposuction" on the bells might be carried out. I like the results quite a bit. As for the engine bell lengths, while I don't have the full numbers (because NASA to my knowledge hasn't posted all the measurements on those, probably due to ITAR but even going back to the first press guides from the 1980s), I know they should extend only a little past the RCS pods on the back of the OMS pods and my test fits show that these indeed do. Some may still quibble about the shape. But these bells are more accurate than the Realspace ones and certainly more accurate than the Cutting Edge ones. If you think you can produce a better one, go for it; produce it, sell it, I'll be happy to buy it. Until such a time, I'll go with these.

Jay Chladek

Although Im in no way into Si Fi, the parts look on par for Fisher M&P parts; stellar. Jay is a member of our Fort Crook IPMS chapter club and a great source of info as well as a great guy to talk to at Hobby Town!

I observed Jays seminar as well as his shuttle presentation at our last IPMS Fort Crook chapter meeting prior to the NATs. Both were very informative and well received. I dont know that much about the shuttle stuff but the parts look great, and the documentation Jay showed were both excellent.

Many thanks to Jay and to all for making Omaha such a success. Also many thanks to Paul for having a hand in this fellas humble NATs win!!!

Cheers,

Brian

Just saw these sets tonight at the Fort Crook post NATs meeting. The resin is typical Fisher...........VERY crisp and nice. (Saw his realspace stuff too...........blach! ) I was especially impressed (considering I know nothing about space stuff or the shuttle) with not only the molding on the outside of the main engine bells, but the ribbing on the INside was very well done indeed.

Jay was also VERY impressed with the speed at witch Paul turned down the OMS engine bells.

Cheers FM&P

Brian

Just saw these sets tonight at the Fort Crook post NATs meeting. The resin is typical Fisher...........VERY crisp and nice. (Saw his realspace stuff too...........blach! ) I was especially impressed (considering I know nothing about space stuff or the shuttle) with not only the molding on the outside of the main engine bells, but the ribbing on the INside was very well done indeed.

Jay was also VERY impressed with the speed at witch Paul turned down the OMS engine bells.

Cheers FM&P

Brian

Hey Brian, glad you liked them, Jay has been a big help on this as well as other projects, and Paul is a skilled machinest!