Brian79

Space shuttle Stuff!

This is the first of our Space Shuttle sets. This set addresses the business end of this magnificent vehicle and will allow you to build a fitting tribute to its amazing career. Included are the SSME nozzles, OMS nozzles and RCS packs. We have painstakingly added the tiles and thermal insulation where necessary to make it easier for you to get the detail you need without a lot of work; and within the SSME nozzles you will find the delicate nitrogen lines that help keep the nozzle intact during the extreme temperatures of operation.

SME2.jpg

Nozzleset2.jpg

Check out that interior tubing detail!

nitrogentubes.jpg

SME1.jpg

The RCS packs are beautiful with full nozzle, tile and thermal insulation details. This set includes correctly shaped rear nozzles to replace the dunce caps included in the kit. The tile pattern on these parts was painstakeingly replicated to be as accurate as possible. Also we designed these as single pieces to eliminate the terrible fit of the original kit parts.

RCSPack3.jpg

RCSPack2.jpg

RCSPack1.jpg

RCS2.jpg

RCS1.jpg

The OMs nozzles are true to the actual nozzles as well, Check out that tile detail! No decals or fiddly bits just paint and go!

RMStiles.jpg

These parts are designed to fit the Revell 72nd Shuttle, but with some modification may fit the Monogram kit as well. We hope you will enjoy using them on your builds as a tribute to this program.

Beautiful Work!

I might just have to find a Revell Shuttle so I can purchase these.

Barry

I might just have to find a Revell Shuttle so I can purchase these.

I already succeded finding one for cheap money, hehe... :D

Thomas

Come on guys, where's the rest of the Shuttle? They look real nice and the best I have seen for the shuttle kit. :speak_cool:

It is just not my thing.I'm a die hard Apollo guy and the LM in 32 scale is what we need.I'm told that Dragon do not plan on a LM bigger than 48 scale so it's all yours!

Well Brian ... these don't look too bad ... not bad at all!

As I AM a shuttle guy ( as well as an Apollo guy, I just love the LM) the RCS packs are outstanding! Nice job!

The SSME, hm-m-m-m ... I'm wondering if these engine bells DO have a sharp, squared 'bottom' edge, or is it just the photo's angle? And the thickness of it seems a little excessive.

How's about another photo or two? And is it too late to do anything about it if is the casting?

The OMS engine bells look too squat as well, almost as if they were cast from the kit part ... I hope it's just the photo's angle again ...

Just my quick observations ... I wanna see more! :hmmm:

Pete

I already succeded finding one for cheap money, hehe... :D

Thomas

I've likely paid more than you but I've just ordered one. ;)

Here's something else I've found while searching.

1/72 Orbiter Tile Decals;

I'm not affiliated in anyway and I know nothing more than whats shown and told here.

http://stores.ebay.com/Rockets-Decals?_trksid=p4340.l2563

I have ordered a set so I'll let you know when they arrive.

I have Meteor's decals in 1/144 for the Shuttle but was no insightful enough to get the 1/72 sets. :crying:

Barry

Here is some information on the difference in the Monogram and Revell offering of the Shuttle Orbiter.

I'm posting this under the "Fair Use" for Instructional & Educational purposes only.

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

The Publication if full of "very" useful information for those looing to build an accurate Orbiter and Launch Stack.

Publication is available through:

Space in Miniature

http://www.spaceinminiature.com/

scan0006.jpg

scan0004-1.jpg

I high recommed this publication; it is geared towards the modeler. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If you visit the web site you'll find other publications available and more usful information. :speak_cool:

Barry

Well Brian ... these don't look too bad ... not bad at all!

As I AM a shuttle guy ( as well as an Apollo guy, I just love the LM) the RCS packs are outstanding! Nice job!

The SSME, hm-m-m-m ... I'm wondering if these engine bells DO have a sharp, squared 'bottom' edge, or is it just the photo's angle? And the thickness of it seems a little excessive.

How's about another photo or two? And is it too late to do anything about it if is the casting?

The OMS engine bells look too squat as well, almost as if they were cast from the kit part ... I hope it's just the photo's angle again ...

Just my quick observations ... I wanna see more! :hmmm:

Pete

Hi Peter, I'm not sure if I understand the squared edge portion on the SSMEs you're refering too, but perhaps its the very end, the large side? If so, there is a final ring section that is the same thickness as all of the others, however with a larger diameter.

As for the OMS engines they are in no way related to the kit parts (nor are any of the others in this set). I don't have the Monogram kit handy, but maybe you were refering to it, not the Revell kit. I am actually flattered that you think I could take a kit part and turn it into something like what we have. I've included a pic of the Revell OMS nozzle:

IMG_9257.jpg

and again our part:

RMStiles.jpg

and finally a photo of the real thing provided by one of this sets contributers :

22.jpg

I hope this helps a little, and when the items are ready, we will post "glamour shots" which will be a little better. In fact once items are in production I will usually do a comparison (like the one here) with their original counterparts to illustrate the improvements they offer in our "accessories in action" thread. As always we appreciate your input and hope that these will find a home on your shuttle in the near future!

Brian

These really are works of art Brian. I really appreciate the work Fisher puts into their products. It's worth every penny. Everything I have purchased has been absolutely amazing and I will now have to dabble in the space shuttle as these parts are too nice to pass up!

Chris

Here's a link to a hi-rez photo of the shuttle in the Rbar maneuver. If you zoom right in to the aft end you'll have a fairly good profile of the OMS engine bell.

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/shuttle/sts-114/hires/iss011e11252.jpg

If you can give me a pic of your casting, in profile, it'll clear up my concerns.

I took the time to peruse the other posts in the Fisher models forum, and you guys do DO nice work. :goodjob: Wheels and tires, instrument panels ... the details are lovely. But I assume they're accurate ...

And I really do understand the technical difficulties in pulling a casting from a mold. Having said that, I'm a visual modeler ... if the part looks right, then it is right. If it don't look right, then-n-n-n ...

It really doesn't matter to me what kind of hoops the caster had to jump thru, or how much time he spent milling the master, or reworking the part in CAD or ... yadda, yadda, yadda. It ... just ... doesn't look right.

The SSMEs, I appreciate the effort in getting the fine tubes in the interior, but if the overall shape is off, then that detail is inconsequential. And the concern I have on your parts, is indeed the large diameter. If the edges were rounded off, or chamfered, the wall thickness would be less noticeable ... but I hope you've already gone thru this thought process.

I look forward to seeing a few more pix Brian.

Pete

Guest Peterpools

Brian

Gorgeous work on the detail parts.

Peter

Here's a link to a hi-rez photo of the shuttle in the Rbar maneuver. If you zoom right in to the aft end you'll have a fairly good profile of the OMS engine bell.

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/shuttle/sts-114/hires/iss011e11252.jpg

If you can give me a pic of your casting, in profile, it'll clear up my concerns.

I took the time to peruse the other posts in the Fisher models forum, and you guys do DO nice work. :goodjob: Wheels and tires, instrument panels ... the details are lovely. But I assume they're accurate ...

And I really do understand the technical difficulties in pulling a casting from a mold. Having said that, I'm a visual modeler ... if the part looks right, then it is right. If it don't look right, then-n-n-n ...

It really doesn't matter to me what kind of hoops the caster had to jump thru, or how much time he spent milling the master, or reworking the part in CAD or ... yadda, yadda, yadda. It ... just ... doesn't look right.

The SSMEs, I appreciate the effort in getting the fine tubes in the interior, but if the overall shape is off, then that detail is inconsequential. And the concern I have on your parts, is indeed the large diameter. If the edges were rounded off, or chamfered, the wall thickness would be less noticeable ... but I hope you've already gone thru this thought process.

I look forward to seeing a few more pix Brian.

Pete

Hi Pete, Once again I'll try to address your concerns by explaining how Fisher Model and Pattern operates. I'm glad that you took the time to browse our other threads and acknowledged our quality. In regards to acuuracy, we simply don't release a product unless we have done two simple things. 1. measured it ourselves or received the input from valued "subject matter experts" who have access to the subject and 2. show the masters to those involved with our projects for final input. Case in point, I measured the SSME at a prominant museum myself, and its right. For other items I could not gain access to due to travel plans we reach out to members of our "team" which include people whos credentials range from subject nmatter experts to actuall mechanics, pilots or crew of the real subject. As an example of the research we conduct, I offer the following examples I have handy from our current project, which is well underway. (While the shuttle stuff has just been introduced to the modeling community it has been done for some time and was in the process of stage 2. mentioned above)

IMG_9061.jpg

IMG_9060.jpg

To some these tiny internal details would be inconsequential, but not to us. It is this type of attention to detail that sets Fisher apart from the competition. The problem that you keep bringing up "they just don't look right" is exactly why we go to great lengths to see the real thing because quite frankly it is foolish to think that anyone could form an accurate assessment or design parts from pictures alone. The subtle curves, the hidden fasteners, the lapped joints, etc. are the key to achieving accuracy. Every project that Fisher does involves countless hours of research to get it right. Being a "visual modeler" is fine but you can't question accuracy without facts, you'll drive yourself mad and still never accomplish anything.

As for the large end of the SSME nozzles, you must realize that they have to be beefed up in order to get constant quality pulls from the molds. why bother at all if you order an item only to have it come broken or cracked? Again, thats not how we operate. If the builder wishes to they can tweak the part to suite their needs if they feel they must, I think they're absolutely perfect as is personally. Another thing to keep in mind is that some of these pictures are macro, bugs that look like creatures from another world. The SSME nozzle is not even an 1-1/2 in diameter at the big end!

Accuraccy and quality is our nich, if you want resin parts that looks better than the kit parts then you have a plethora of options, if you want the most accurate parts on the market than you come to us. Other manufactuers items are widely available and quite frankly, are cheaper for alot of the stuff we have issued or is on the way and if they work for you thats great but we have no intention of changing because our business model works. We offer the most accurate, quality castings out there. We also offer ourselves to you, we love to talk models and we are interested in what you want. Our inbox exploded with the release of these shuttle parts, something that we have never experienced with a new product before. Despite that success I'm still here talking to you Pete and anyone else who will listen because thats just who we are. In the end only you can decided if these parts are better than what comes in the kit. thanks!

Brian

and to everyone else out there stay tuned......BLACKBIRD stuff coming soon! :party0023: