F-4 slatted wings solution

Scotsman

As all Phantom buildrs know , the only way to turn your Tamiya 32nd F-4 into a late model E, is to use the old, and problamatic Revell E , or try and find to old, discontinued and increasingly expensive CE conversion , however looking at the Lucky model newsletter to-day they had listed This a Slatted wing conversion , new outer wings, and inner actuator fairings , along with an insert for those wishing to add the TIESO camera pod to the inner wing, all for a pretty resonable £25 or so

It means late model F-4E/F/G's are possible using the Tamiya E , and if your feeling brave , an F-4s as well based on the J

Overall a pretty good day to be a Phantom Phixer - BTW there are also a couple of conversions for the Revell Mirage for the Dagger/Nesher - pricey , but inpressive !

Edited by Scotsman

Looks interesting doesn't it.

I had seen it a few weeks back when IsraDecal sent out their "New Release" notice.

http://www.isradecal.com/?storeid=110&view=products&id=334650

I wonder how the Inboard Slat is handled?

I see the Fairings for the Hinges but the slat it's self is quite different than the Inboard Flap.

TISEO is also looks nicely done! :speak_cool:

I've considered ordering one just to see how it stacks up to the CE set.

Barry

Sweet...................Question for you or Barry............and this may be a Barry quesiton anyway....

I REALLY want to make a special anniversary F-4S out of my F-4J. As far as I know, and by looking at Russ's old F-4S thread (Please correct me if im wrong on this) that the main diffs between the F-4J and S are the brace on the bottom of the fuse..............the wing tips and MAINLY the leading edge slats. I see there is no mention of the S model anywhere relating to this conversion.................

So my question is this:

Would this slat kit work to replicate the slats on the S? If so, what is the diff and/or how are they handling the inner wing slats? Does the S even warrent or need teh inner slat replication?

Thanks in advance and cheers

Brian

Sweet...................Question for you or Barry............and this may be a Barry quesiton anyway....

I REALLY want to make a special anniversary F-4S out of my F-4J. As far as I know, and by looking at Russ's old F-4S thread (Please correct me if im wrong on this) that the main diffs between the F-4J and S are the brace on the bottom of the fuse..............the wing tips and MAINLY the leading edge slats. I see there is no mention of the S model anywhere relating to this conversion.................

So my question is this:

Would this slat kit work to replicate the slats on the S? If so, what is the diff and/or how are they handling the inner wing slats? Does the S even warrent or need teh inner slat replication?

Brian

My take on it, going from memory (which is iffy at best) The inboard slats, as I recall, were usually closed on the ground, so the way Revell handled them is probably OK for most situations, unless you just wanted them hanging out to show them, or were planning on doing it in a take off configuration. Otherwise the actuators fairings are adequate. The F-4S outer slats had a somewhat wider chord and a longer wing fence than the F-4E. I'm not sure how noticeable the wider chord would be,especially in 1/32, and don't recall the exact difference in size on the real thing. The F-4S ECM antennas on the intakes were usually the shorter variety as well.Hasegawa in their 1/48 kits just included the "E" wing that you added longer fences to make the S wing. For the X wing you are on your own :DodgeBall:

So my question is this:

Brian

Basically you’re correct from an external “visual” prospective Brian.

The S version had all the “structural” enhancements and the LE Slats.

The reason you see no mention of the S version in the conversion set is the Navy version of the LE Slats differed quite a bit from those used on the Air Force E and G.

CE released two different LE Slat sets one for the USAF and another for the USN versions.

You’ll have to be the judge as to it suitability as basics fro modifying to the USN version. Without looking again I think that the differences are distinctive enough that I have perused the CE set. I think that Paragon also had at one time a set for the Navy version.

I believe all these issues are the reasons Russ went the route he did.

Barry

Basically you're correct from an external "visual" prospective Brian.

The S version had all the "structural" enhancements and the LE Slats.

The reason you see no mention of the S version in the conversion set is the Navy version of the LE Slats differed quite a bit from those used on the Air Force E and G.

CE released two different LE Slat sets one for the USAF and another for the USN versions.

You'll have to be the judge as to it suitability as basics fro modifying to the USN version. Without looking again I think that the differences are distinctive enough that I have perused the CE set. I think that Paragon also had at one time a set for the Navy version.

I believe all these issues are the reasons Russ went the route he did.

Barry

Cooool, thanks Bar. I figured so as I actually DO have that Paragon conversion, and "Joe" sent me some of his resin cans as well as pulling me a set of teh wingtips for the S too! The Paragon conversion is nice and comes with the outer slats themselves, actuator mechanism, and the inner slat actuator fairings only.

I just thought that if somehow this conversion was ok, it may be more comprehensive than what I have, but now that I think about it I have everything I need already, including Joes cans, the S wingtips, Paragon Navy slat conversion and even the bottom fuse brace from Nautilus models.

Thanks though for the reply Barry. Cheers!

Brian

Here are some shots of the F-4S slats & wing fence, so you can see the difference between them and the USAF version. Sorry they're not better quality. Cheap camera had a hard time dealing with grey paint on an overcast, but bright day.

HTH.

Ben

CopyofDSCN0106-1.jpg

CopyofDSCN0110-1.jpg

DSCN0120a.jpg

DSCN1698a.jpg

Thanks Ben, Excellent pics for comparison. :)

The “overhang” if you will of the inboard slat to the lower wing surface is a biggie.

The larger wing “fence” and shape of outboard slat would be fairly easy to over come.

Barry

Just out of curiosity, is there a performance reason for the difference between the Air Force and Navy slats? Did the S slats work better compared to those that were on the E/G? Why not use what was already proven?

Carl