Fortress stripes

LSP_K2

On several photos I’ve seen of B-17’s, there are black stripes, one per wing, on lower wing outside of outboard engines. Does anybody know what these were for? I assume it may have been specific to one squadron, wing or group, but can’t confirm. Any help would be appreciated.

Are you referring to the deicing boots Kevin? i.e. the black leading edges of the wings? you can see them in this picture.

Nope, although I understand why you would have thought that's what I meant Ron. I’m referring to stripes that run chord wise. I'll try to dig out a photo of what I'm referring to.

"Battle Colors Vol. IV" by Robert A. Watkins has the following note under 2nd Bombardment Group, 15th Air Force bomber markings:

"Wings: Beginning in early 1945 a chord-wise stripe measuring approximately 18-20 in. began appearing on both upper and lower wing surfaces, outboard of engines One and Four respectively. These markings were in black on NMF and white on camouflaged surfaces."

No explanation as to the reasoning for the stripes is mentioned. This was the only B-17 unit I found that had the stripes as you describe.

Hope this helps.

Edited by OldTroll

"Battle Colors Vol. IV" by Robert A. Watkins has the following note under 2nd Bombardment Group, 15th Air Force bomber markings:

"Wings: Beginning in early 1945 a chord-wise stripe measuring approximately 18-20 in. began appearing on both upper and lower wing surfaces, outboard of engines One and Four respectively. These markings were in black on NMF and white on camouflaged surfaces."

No explanation as to the reasoning for the stripes is mentioned. This was the only B-17 unit I found that had the stripes as you describe.

Hope this helps.

Interesting. At least the Fifteenth Air Force reference is consistent. This scan is from the Zenith Press B-17 at War book. "Fair use' terms and conditions are applicable.

Stripes.jpg

Hope this helps.

I only have volumes 1, 2, and 3. :(

Edited by Typhoonattack1

The photo is definitely of 2nd BG(H) aircraft late in the war. By that time most of the group's B-17s were in NMF and had the elevators and rudders painted black (white on those still in camouflage.) The 2ng BG(H) comprised the 20th BS(H), 49th BS(H), 96th BS(H) and 429th BS(H). Perhaps research into those individual squadrons may yield further results. Volume IV is a "must have" if you have 1-3 (then you'll know "the rest of the story".) Enjoy!

The photo is definitely of 2nd BG(H) aircraft late in the war. By that time most of the group's B-17s were in NMF and had the elevators and rudders painted black (white on those still in camouflage.) The 2ng BG(H) comprised the 20th BS(H), 49th BS(H), 96th BS(H) and 429th BS(H). Perhaps research into those individual squadrons may yield further results. Volume IV is a "must have" if you have 1-3 (then you'll know "the rest of the story".) Enjoy!

Well, while I will keep an eye out for volume 4, the real reason behind my question is that I'm building a 1:48 Fortress for a friend, and wanted to figure out if I could add these stripes. Since I'm building "Outhouse Mouse", an Eighth Air Force aircraft, 323rd BS, 91st BG (Heavy), I won't be able to add them it seems. I've got some real cool pictures of Outhouse Mouse, so I (theoretically), ought to be able to make it look pretty trashed, just what he wants. "Outhouse Mouse" ended up flying 139 missions, so it got pretty well beat up.

Outhouse Mouse, 91st BG, 323rd BS, 1st AD, 8th AF. 42-31636, Coded OR*N. She was reportedly the first aircraft attacked by an Me163 rocket fighter. If you're gonna do her at the end of her career, throw away the olive green paint and use a tan color like ole Nine-O--Nine below.

nine_o_nine.jpg

Edited by TimC

Outhouse Mouse, 91st BG, 323rd BS, 1st AD, 8th AF. 42-31636, Coded OR*N. She was reportedly the first aircraft attacked by an Me163 rocket fighter. If you're gonna do her at the end of her career, throw away the olive green paint and use a tan color like ole Nine-O--Nine below.

nine_o_nine.jpg

Nope, I’ll stick with OD/Neutral Grey Tim. I never cared for the tan ones too much, (supposedly OD gone bad, if I recall correctly).

It's available from Amazon, Kevin.

Charles Metz

Charles, it occurs to me that my earlier response to your input may have seemed somewhat curt. That was not my intention. Finding books is usually not my problem, but affording them is. I do appreciate the link;… book is now on my Amazon wish list, (along with about thirty five others). My list of "wanted" books seems to grow exponentially.

:(