Trumpeter MIG-21MF

wedfactory

~I builds really very well , and its regarded as one of the more accurate Trumpter kits, my only comment is if your going to use the metal U/c legs , make sure use Epoxy , super glue dosen't really hack it , (ask me how I know!)

I've for an F13 varient tht may be getting USAF markings at some stage

Build and enjoy!

Edited by Scotsman

The diameter of the air intake is about 1 - 1.5 mm to small and the spine is a little to narrow. Otherwise a pleasant kit, albeit assembly is fiddly in some places. Carefully check the fit of the fuselage components.

The front avionics cover (in front of the cockpit) has a convex front end. This part should be concave and it is a relativley easy fix. scribe around the panel line and remove the part and turn it upside down. Check your references and you will see what I mean. I have found lots of inaccuracies in panel lines especially around the tail area that will require rescribing. One of the harder parts of the kit to rectify is the airbrake assembly under the rear fuselage. If installed as is, it will not look right as it needs to be faired in a bit more. The front of the front canopy will need to be built up a bit where it meets the fuselage as the angle needs to be not as sharp. As mentioned above, the pylons are crap, the panel lines are very poorly executed and should be re-done. I have put the black box cockpit into mine and it certainly is better than the kit one. The missiles will need a bit of work as they are very basic and lack nozzles.

Eric

• 4 weeks later...

Well I have made a little progress on this kit...

I got some of the weapons together, Going to toss the rocket pods as I feel they are inadequate. I will have 4 missiles and a fuel tank on this build. I was able to get started on the cockpit, some touch up needed before putting it together...

The engine was a bear, good this it will be hidden inside the aircraft.

100_8618.jpg

100_8659.jpg

100_8662.jpg

100_8660.jpg

100_8615.jpg

When I built this kit it seemed to go very smoothly. Others have mentioned technical inaccuracies but I am not too worried about that stuff. I am more of a "it looks like a" kind of modeler. However, I think the most important thing (and I think I read it here) is that the instructions omit the rear view mirror! I forget if it was just the part number or if it wasn't printed in the instructions. That saved me some thinking!

I hope you enjoy the kit! I liked it! Built it in the Iraqi markings. One more thing.. my experience with the decals was that they seemed to be impervious to decal softeners. I used several different brands and they just didn't want to blend in.

Have fun!

Gary V.

• 4 weeks later...

Most of the fiddly stuff is now on. Time to mask the canopy and rubber cement gear doors and air breaks to get ready for primer coat of paint.

100_8823.jpg

100_8824.jpg

100_8825.jpg

100_8826.jpg

When I put on the canopy I discovered the cockpit seat was to high, had to remove it and do a little surgery on it.