Sign in to follow this  
Brian79

F7U-3M Cutlass Build

The other day I said what the heck, I haven't built a kit for myself in a really long time so I figured I'd get on one of these and try it out. This build will be long and slow because I have to keep up with the kits and accessories that we are making like the Skyray and shuttle stuff but I will take step by step photos to show how it goes together. Hopefully this will do three things, first serve as a reference for those that haven't built the kit but have it, second introduce this kit to those that haven't made the plunge yet and third help me improve my modeling skills. My goal is to have it done by the begining of December, but hopefully it will be done before then. So anyways, I hope you enjoy it and I'll see you guys soon.

B

Brian,

Excellent news,I'll be watching with great interest.

I really want to start mine but have to get the Phantom finished first.

Barry

Brian,

Excellent news,I'll be watching with great interest.

I really want to start mine but have to get the Phantom finished first.

Barry

UHM...wheres that Crusader in flight??? :punk:

Ok Lets get rolling!! First off are the wings. I marked the wings with a Sharpie to denote where they fit relative to the spar and the fuselage thickness and then glued them in place. I should mention that throughout this build I will be using off the shelf Lowe's or Walmart superglues. I find they work just as well as the more exspensive "hobby" types. This first shot shows the mark:

IMG_8787.jpg

Next I mated the wings to the upper and lower fuselage. I decided to clamp the assy together rather than use Paul's plastic card method but I must admit this is not my first resin kit and have some idea of the characheristics of cured resin (aka what I can get away with!). The assembly went together beautifully with a perfect seam at the wing root. I'll probably run a tiny, tiny bit of Mr. Surfacer down it just to be safe, but this is as good as it gets:

IMG_8798.jpg

Finally heres an overall shot of the completed assy. It is big! There is a slight gap at the underside front and rear, but hardly worth mentioning. I was able to fill it with a small amount of CA. Since this portion went together so well and fast I plan to rivit the whole thing!! stay tuned!

IMG_8801.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Brian

Will be following along with great interest and trying to pick up as many pointers as I can. Fit up the wings to the fuselage looks perfect.

You made reference to accessories for the Skyray. Did I miss something?

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Peter

UHM...wheres that Crusader in flight??? :punk:

Still grounded! :tumble:

The Phantom GB demanded I join in. :yahoo:

Barry

Brian,

Taking notes...am I reading correctly; you joined both wings to spar before attaching to fuselage?

Barry

Brian

Will be following along with great interest and trying to pick up as many pointers as I can. Fit up the wings to the fuselage looks perfect.

You made reference to accessories for the Skyray. Did I miss something?

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Peter

Hey Brian,

Oops....did you let the Ray out of the bag so to speak? :whistle:

-Shane

Hi guys, no accessories for the Skyray..the whole kit! In case you missed the announcement our next full kit will be a Skyray and so far we're moving right along on her.

Brian,

Taking notes...am I reading correctly; you joined both wings to spar before attaching to fuselage?

Barry

Hi Barry, you read correctly. if you look at the picture below you will notice that the gap between the spar and the wing root is a different length on each side. this is due to the internal thickness of the fuselage resin. In other words, the external dimension for the fuselage is correct, the wall thickness is different. So I just templated the differences off of the fuselage, marked them and then glued them. The cool thing is that the Cutlass wing is dead flat so I just layed it on a level surface and lined the wings up to the spare by matching my sharpie lines and glued. Perfect fit first time! I got all of this done in about 30 minutes, the design of this kit lends itself to good fit.

IMG_8788.jpg

Thanks Brian,

Looks like it worked very well leaving little or no real gaps to fuselage. :thumbsup:

I mark that down to "remember".

Barry

Ok everyone heres update two on this cool build. First lets talk about where I left off. After assembling the wings to the fuselage I decided I was going to apply rivits. To do this I used an old Hasegawa straight rivit template along with their rivit tool. While the template is essential in accomplishing this task the tool is not, in fact I only use it because it was a gift. For years prior to receiving this tool I simply used a sewing needle chucked into a pinvise. I also refer to this style of rivits as the "Hasegawa" style simply because it mimics the same type pattern found on most of their kits. Personally I have never been a fan of the style with which the entire surface is covered ala Trumpeter nor do I own the pounce wheel style rivit tools. That said the method I use is time consuming. So anyways these first pictures show the detail in place and I even gave a wash to one of the wings to give you a better idea of what the finished product will look like:

IMG_8817.jpg

IMG_8815.jpg

Next up are the tires and the detail here is exceptional. They are three piece affairs that require little to no clean up once removed from their poor stubs. The detail on the nose wheels is especially nice. The hubs are painted Tamiya silver and the tires themselves are Gunze Sanyo tire black. Although the rims are seperate from the tires in the kit to facilitate easier painting, I chose to build them and then paint them. I simply used a drafting circle template to mask them, works like a charm every time!

IMG_8811.jpg

The instrument panel is an important component to any kit and its usually the first place I look when checking out someone elses work so I tend to pay special attention here. The coaming or dash area is one piece with an instrument panel that simply laminates to it. Each gauge is a seperate decal and really look the part once installed. The circular area up top is Tamiya silver with their clear green over top of it. I also picked out a few details with the same silver to accentuate the knobs even though they are probably all black. Incidentally I use Gunze Sanyo tire black for everything! LOL

IMG_8812.jpg

The canopy will conclude this session. the fit of the clear part to the actual backing plate was great. I found that my copy didn't quite line up well so I laminated some styrene scrap to it to level it out. Yeah, I know, yellow styrene....well I wanted you guys to really be able to see what was necessary here! After building the assy with CA I sanded it down and it looks great. I alos should note that on resin kits I use CA for filler with great results. You can also see that the quality of the clear part is outstanding.

IMG_8820.jpg

IMG_8818.jpg

Finally as a side note while painting the turbines my airbrush broke. Its a Badger velocity and the portion that holds the air valve simply fell right out. I've contacted them and its been about 4 days without a reply so if they don't get back with me soon I'll be looking for a replacement. I've met Ken a couple of times and he's a stand up guy so heres hoping they come through as I really like it alot!

IMG_8809.jpg

Thanks for checking in and as always we appreciate your continued support!

Brian

Guest Peterpools

Brian

Enjoying following along and for my money, the rivets look great. Not really sure how the rivet template works. Next update, would you mind posting a photo of the rivet template.

Canopy sure looks crystal clear and next to perfect. No fears of the Super Glue fogging the Glass?

Keep 'em coming.

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Peter

Brian

Enjoying following along and for my money, the rivets look great. Not really sure how the rivet template works. Next update, would you mind posting a photo of the rivet template.

Canopy sure looks crystal clear and next to perfect. No fears of the Super Glue fogging the Glass?

Keep 'em coming.

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Peter

Hi Peter, CA will normally not fog if it has plenty of room to breath. I'll post pictures of my rivit template next update.

B

Guest Peterpools

Brian

Thanks for the info. Can't wait for the next update.

:frantic:

Peter