1/32 Backlash?

Mikester

Wow, Zone 5, the "Beavis and Butthead" of modeling forums calling someone else out? Let's see these are the guys that left HS because they couldn't get along with the Luftwaffe builders, moved to ARC and couldn't get along with each other, got banned from there and established a cool site where you can cuss and have naked pics of chicks as your avatar. Chalk it up to puberty and all those crazy hormones, I reckon.

It couldn't have been described any better than that. Bravo!

Hey mods - any chance of this thread going away or being locked. It seems to have degenerated to the name-calling, holier than thou sort of thing that was originally the object of complaint. Is there no forum on the internet that has only friendly discussions of the forum subject? Perhaps someone needs to start a forum titled "I'm Pissed About Fill in the Blank."

It couldn't have been described any better than that. Bravo!

Aw, c'mon now, they aren't that bad of guys. Sure they can get a little juvenile and crass, use crude language, and generally makes asses out of themselves from time to time. But do we really need to belittle Beavis and Butthead that way??? :rolleyes:

I joke, I joke. :rofl:

I work closely with Trumpeter (aka Hobby Boss) and they are committed to producing 1/32 scale kits for the forseeable future. Large Scale Modelers are well represented at Trumpeter.

Dave Mason

IPMS Philippines

Hi Dave,

Impressing upon Trumpeter that perhaps a bit more emphasize on quality and accuracy over quantity would be appreciated by a lot of modelers. It would put them in good position to perhaps not own the big scale market, but at least the argument that a few excellent Tamiya or Hasegawa kits are preferable to lots of Trumpeter kits could be tempered a bit. This is coming from someone who owns far more Trump kits than Tamiya or Hasegawa kits combined. I think the new HB F-84 shows that a reasonably price, nicely detailed and for the most part, accurate, kit from Trump or HB will do well. Not everyone is wanting to wait years for their favorite subject to be an uber kit produced by Tamiya, but neither do they want to get it from Trump (or anyone for that matter) and be horribly disappointed by it because of poor research or accuracy issues.

Cheers

Jason

Hi,

I may not be everyone, but I have waited (insert Tamiya Mk IX Spitfire here), and will continue to wait for others if produced by Tamiya. I know I'll get quality and accuracy, even if it means for a few dollars more.

Cheers

Brad

Hi Dave,

Impressing upon Trumpeter that perhaps a bit more emphasize on quality and accuracy over quantity would be appreciated by a lot of modelers. It would put them in good position to perhaps not own the big scale market, but at least the argument that a few excellent Tamiya or Hasegawa kits are preferable to lots of Trumpeter kits could be tempered a bit. This is coming from someone who owns far more Trump kits than Tamiya or Hasegawa kits combined. I think the new HB F-84 shows that a reasonably price, nicely detailed and for the most part, accurate, kit from Trump or HB will do well. Not everyone is wanting to wait years for their favorite subject to be an uber kit produced by Tamiya, but neither do they want to get it from Trump (or anyone for that matter) and be horribly disappointed by it because of poor research or accuracy issues.

Cheers

Jason

Have you considered that, rather than snobbery, or jealousy, it's simply a case of trying to convince himself/themselves that he/they don't want to build large kits with extra detail? In that case, I think that the enlightened ones among us should show them sympathy, rather than chastising them for failing to see the light. :wicked:

Edgar

I too get comments about "braille scale" at my club when I bring in or talk about 32 inferring my eyesights going, but I think its more a case of its what you are used to, theyre used to 72 and their world is 72, I suppose I feel the same about car models, I love cars but IVe yet to see a car kit that can convince me about authenticity etc-horses for courses...

Have you considered that, rather than snobbery, or jealousy, it's simply a case of trying to convince himself/themselves that he/they don't want to build large kits with extra detail? In that case, I think that the enlightened ones among us should show them sympathy, rather than chastising them for failing to see the light. :wicked:

Edgar

Actually, you have a good point and something someone else commented on adds to it. Building in a larger scale can be intimidating, specially when it comes to painting/finishing. The things you can get away with in smaller scales are not always possible in the larger ones. I know personally that in figures, anything over 90 mm I find very intimidating due to the extra effort/skills that are needed for flesh tones.(another reason I don't do cars as well, the work that car nuts put into their finishes ? beautiful stuff, but I wouldn't want to try it)

As you suggest, we need to show them sympathy.... and perhaps draw them to the 'large side' ... :evil_laugh: (we need a Vader Emcon !)

Vaughn

Edgar

I like this comment! :speak_cool: All I used to build was 1/48 until I was enlightened :innocent:

Wow, Zone 5, the "Beavis and Butthead" of modeling forums calling someone else out? Let's see these are the guys that left HS because they couldn't get along with the Luftwaffe builders, moved to ARC and couldn't get along with each other, got banned from there and established a cool site where you can cuss and have naked pics of chicks as your avatar. Chalk it up to puberty and all those crazy hormones, I reckon.

Man that is so true. And the sad thing is they are proud of it! And they can't let the split from ARC die.

Back to 1/32. I also have thinned the 1/48 scale out and 'converted' them to 1/32. I use to build 1/32 ALONG time ago and the only kits you had were the awful Revell (other than the Raiden/George/Tony)stuff. Hasegawa had some good ones but at $15/20 (back in the day)was too expensive.

...I read the tag line as some type of new Russian bomber at first as well!...:lol:

Very few of us model large scale 'exclusively', with many members also making (occasionally) different scale models of differing types, so we have to be careful in our views. To me, all models scales (and disciplines) have their place and value. Certain models in the smaller scales can still have 'presence' (like the Monogram 1/72 B-36 Peacemaker, 1/48 B-29 Superfortress and 1/48 B-1B Lancer to name but a few) and also offer a sometimes much needed break from the intense concentration required to detail large scale kits. However, I feel comfortable with large scale subjects, so that is where my main interest lies (the aging eye thing is also a major consideration here :D ).

The other thing I have found is that working up through the scales provides you with invaluable skill perspective in terms of detailing (especially with what 'looks right' in the differing scales - something that many modellers seem to disagree with on other forums). Moving from one scale to another can be quite daunting (especially moving up the scales) and can be something of a culture shock at times. I made 1/144 and 1/72 scale models for much of my modelling life, but I own and have made very few 1/48 scale kits - I leaped from 1/72 to 1/32 and larger and just about by-passed the 1/48 scale subjects (I also knew that our scale would become popular in the future due to our hobby being dominated mostly by middle aged modellers).

So, am I a large scale fan? - yes. Will I still buy and make (and these days, use a reference models) smaller scales models? - yes. Do I still enjoy the level of detail and pleasure I get from building models of differing scales? - definately yes.

To me, modelling is about enjoying what you make irrespective of scale - Life is too short to get all anal about the merits or otherwise of differing scales.

Regards

Derek

Edited by Derek B