1/32 Backlash?

Mikester

Most days I see the Emirates A380 fly into Manchester Airport, and I marvel, not at it's size, but how toy-like it is... :closedeyes:

I've flown that Emirates puppy a few times now. It's no toy, it does make me feel like I am 1/72 scale though!

Sooorryyyy Ron!

:)

Yours 'editedly'

Nick

No worries at all Nick :speak_cool:

Ron

Well, I've never noticed any disdain for 1:32 myself, though it may well exist. At our local events, all scales are well received, with most people paying pretty much equal attention to all of them. I will have to say though that most of the best work I usually see at the local shows is in the 1:48 scale area, whereas the 1:32 stuff is usually just slammed together and left at that, making them somewhat less than impressive. I try to keep an open mind, and look at all the stuff, regardless of scale.

Kevin, (eyeballing a 1:72 FW-200 Condor at this time).

P.S. As to larger subjects in our larger scale, I have mixed desires;…

B-25, A-20, A-26,… No way.

P-61,… Perhaps.

B-26,… More than likely.

B-17,… Oh Yea Baby! Bring it on! (Just personal preference)

Funnily(or not,depending) when I discuss 1/32 I always refer to it as the "manly scale"; 1/72 is Braille scale, and 1/48 is wee. I'm just the opposite; 1/32 is the normal scale, and then there are some others.

Nick, you might want to check out a Wing nuts kit; they are the benchmark in todays 1/32 world. Note I am not knocking any other kit(s), just commenting on the high standard set by WNW.

.....as an afterthought: WHY would I give a rats tail what a dinky scaler thought of the truth -1/32 scale?

Have had WNW kits in my stash; they are indeed excellent, but they are sort of 'Revell on steroids' - and that is a complement not a criticism.

Now back to our regular programming...

A lot of progress could have been made on models (of your preferred scale) instead of blathering about this silliness. Let's talk about something serious like the 1:32 Convair B-36 that is supposedly on the drawing boards of an unnamed Chinese model manufacturer as we blather. I heard they got the turbine blade angles reversed on the jet engines!

View PostRoyboy, on 09 July 2011 - 04:46 AM, said:

I've always believed that the power of the customer has always been irresistable to business.

Whatever the customer 'drives' you will find an opportunist to take advantage of it.

If 1/32 scale wasn't selling then the manufacturer simply wouldn't produce the products.

The 1/48 scale market is arguably becoming more and more saturated as the modelers needs have become more available to them.

They've already had the good times!

Looking from the outside of the hobby the 1/32 market is the new 'Klondyke' as far as market needs from customers are concerned, so the manufacturers will look at this as their next major growth area.

The 48'ers forget that they've had a lot of their dreams satisfied, now it's our turn!

They're just crossing 't's' and dotting the 'i's' whilst we're still trying to get the line completed.

It's our time, and boy what a time we're having!! :speak_cool:

Roy.

Ditto! Roy,

I think you've hit the nail right on the head!

Barry

By George!! think you have it...best explanation yet.

Edited by williamj

I heard they got the turbine blade angles reversed on the jet engines!

Maybe its a "non-threatening" new version that flies backwards so it won't frighten the enemy and get them upset.

I think its pretty sad that someone has nothing better or constructive to do on a modelling forum than slag off people who are minding their own business

building in a larger scale.

Glad you went over there and stirred the pot a bit Bill.

Stupidity like that needs to be challenged.

I personally don't care what scale other people want to build in, enjoy it and have fun.

I was quite surprised tho when I opened this thread as just reading the title, I thought it was a 1/32 scale diorama

of a sado-masochistic torture chamber. :coolio:

Phil

Edited by PhilB

I had my say over there, FWIW. There's a few people at that other place who just think the world revolves around 1/48 scale. So sorry if they cannot stand that other people have other preferences. I've never seen a toylike model in any scale unless it was built toylike!

One thing 1/32 scale has taught me is I must 'up' my modelling technique, or they will look 'toylike'. The switch to 1/32 has made me a better modeller!

I have to thank Peter Jackson. He made World War One aeroplanes in a scale that lets them show off all of their detail as opposed to require microscope construction. Once I saw that, everything in my previous scale of 48 had to go. Ebay works well, and now I have traded up for the good stuff.

I never would have imagined that kits like the Silverwings biplanes could have replaced the Classic Airframes 1930's collection, but they are well on the way to doing a hangar full of great subjects, along with Montex and a few others. Even Mike West's Lone Star Models, Vector engines, Yellow Wings decals and Master barrels have made the 30 year old Hasegawa biplanes look amazing. Bring it on!

So... was there any reason I should keep modeling in 1/48? Maybe because I can put a collection of Drakens on the shelf, but I am certain that we will see them and the Viggen in 1/32.

Just have fun with it. Great builds in any scale will continue to impress those who have open minds, but as Richard Feynman said, "Why do you care what other people think?".

Tnarg

too old - too lazy too shaky to start in 1/48th!

Ads

Ads, you said it all for me in that one, short statement. I actually spend most of my time building ships (yeah, I'm one of those) and I believe I detect the same phenomenon happening in that genre. Trumpter has released their 1/200 U.S.S. Arizona to much fanfair and acclaim, and Revell has released a 1/144 scale U.S.S. Fletcher (which I have in the stash) that has been very well reviewed. Both appear to be seling well. I think it frankly has much to do with your observation. Our hobby has become rather on the expensive side, and it seems that there are a lot of folks like me - middle age guys (and a few gals) who modeled in our youth, drifted away for years or decades (three decades in my case) and then have come back to the hobby at a time when we have the money to indulge our interests. Well, ain't none of us seeing any better than we did when we were kids, nor are our hands any steadier. As a result, the larger scales, whether in planes or ships, appeal to us. We can see the parts and we can manipulate the parts without needing the skill of surgeons.

I think large scale planes are clearly here to stay. A momentum has built in that direction that cannot be stopped now. And, along with having the money to devote to our hobby, most of us have only wives to contend with on the issue of display space. Much easier than getting mom and dad to let you take over a big chunk of domestic real estate. I'm sure some of us that have this option do what I do - display my works in my office, keeping only a few at home.

It will be interesting to see if this phenomenon transfers to the ship genre. I suspect it will, though probably to a lesser degree than in planes. It is more practical to display even a 1/32 scale B-17 (and ships be darned, I can't wait for that one!) than a 1/200 scale Essex class aircraft carrier or Iowa class battleship. Wives have only so much territory they are willing to abandon in my experience.

The bottom line is that I feel secure in saying that large scale planes are here to stay and the 1/48 and 1/72 mavens need to get over it and accept reality. We'll just have to see if 1/200 is the new 1/350 (which up until a few years ago was desert in ship modeling).

Bob

Interesting comment re large ships vs large planes

I disagree though: all you need is one very long shelf for even the largest (modern) ship; planes get tricky because they are essentially square.

I reviewed some 1/350 20mm turned brass barrels and they are just too small for my eyes, let alone my fingers!

It's all good though.

That HS thread is QUITE ridiculous........

I DO think that a POORLY done 32nd scale kit is WAY more obvious than a poorly done 48th and that is WAY more obvious than a wee little 72nd kit.

I really do quite dislike 72nd.........and I REALLY dislike 1/144th and there seems to be a complete ABUNDANCE of both type of modelers in my local club. Unfortunately they "joke" about 32nd all the time.....but NO one jokes "haha" that much about something if its not actually the way they feel.

This 72nd and 1/144 snobbery and attitude may keep me from even continuing with my local IPMS club, and thats a shame. The lack of any 32nd decals in the NATs decal package this year hosted and likely decided by MY OWN IPMS CLUB is verging on the last straw...............

Brian

Edited by Out2gtcha

Think of things like this:

- Its way easier to see/point out flaws in a 32nd than a 48th, and way easier to point out flaws in a 48th than a 72nd and so on and so forth.

- If you take the worlds best 72nd scale IPMS winning aircraft model...............and blow that EXACT model itself up to 1/32 scale, JUST as it is, guess what its gonna look like?

Uh huh.

Its not going to look like a NATs winning model of any kind, in any scale.

Guess what a perfectly acceptable panel line in 72nd (or even 48th) looks like blown up in 32nd?

Yep.

Crap.

that's why I go to only three forums. This is one and the other two are armor. The rest are filled IMO with this Judgmental attitude that is such a HUGE turn off for me. Why Judge?? Who gives a flying rip what these idiots think? I got the tune when I saw a 50 year old man from Romania eviscerate what turned out to be a 13 year old boy in a gallery thread on an armor group that will remain unnamed. It was horrible.

I build because it's fun. I prefer bigger scales. I want to have fun. If it's not fun, I'm outta there. That other thread was ridiculous. The guy that outed it as a troll magnet was 100% dead on.